mpc's Tie X-1 (first airbrushed one)

Dark Kyp

Here's a model I began before the Swiss Fantasy Show. Now that the convention is done, I'm back on it!

It is the mpc's Tie X1 of Darth Vador

vintage-star-wars-mpc-model-darth-vader-tie-fighter.jpg

At a first sight, the kit looks great and well casted. Exception made of poor Vador looking like he's sitting on the toilets ;D

dsc00740ep.jpg

dsc00739lk.jpg

I said "At a first sight" because things goes wrong during assembly. That kit needs a lot of cuts, sanding, puttying, ...Following the instruction even force to disassembly some of the parts to let them fit together...

An example:

dsc00737e.jpg

Here are the pics :)

Inside painted:

dsc00741oz.jpg

dsc00742sa.jpg

dsc00743qp.jpg

Closing the body and filling the gaps:

dsc00866gq.jpg

dsc00871by.jpg

Vador's in charge:

dsc00875ui.jpg

dsc00876fx.jpg

dsc00877q.jpg

Tamyia tape and painting on the wings:

dsc00881iz.jpg

dsc00880fr.jpg

dsc00882iu.jpg

haaaa, closed! ;D

dsc00887p.jpg

Adding upper hood and covering:

dsc00883on.jpg

dsc00884z.jpg

And.... Primer 8)

dsc00888zi.jpg

I practiced my new airbrushed on that one as first try (after little exercises) I'll put pictures soon!

Great to see this model getting built! It's one I'd like to try someday. Looks like a fair bit of work to get her done, but nice job Kyp. :)

Dark Kyp said:
I said "At a first sight" because things goes wrong during assembly. That kit needs a lot of cuts, sanding, puttying, ...Following the instruction even force to disassembly some of the parts to let them fit together...

An example:

dsc00737e.jpg

You do know that the reason the "fit" is so bad there is because that part mounts from the inside of the kit, right? It's this

-|

not this

_
|

I have this kit in my stash. Looking forward to seeing how yours goes together so I'll know what to expect. I'll definitely be watching this. Looking good so far!

Ziz said:
Dark Kyp said:

An example:

dsc00737e.jpg

You do know that the reason the "fit" is so bad there is because that part mounts from the inside of the kit, right? It's this

-|

not this

_
|

omg, you're right! :eek: How could I don't see this! :'(
Thanks ;)

Thanks guys!

I remember building this kit years ago. Not the best of kits, but not the worst either. I think the worst part is the Vader figure....

Cool, looking forward to seeing how this turns out, and don't worry about the wing arm insert prob it happens to the best of us mate lol.

Quaralane said:
Definitely looking good.
Even did a decent job with that pathetic stock figure

Thanks ;) That figure is horrible indeed :p

I've made the first layer and added some scratches with brush on the sides of the pannels. I've also made some inpact traces on the upper side:
dsc01063pz.jpg

dsc01062uc.jpg

This is coming along nice. Brings back memories. I think I had this kit back when I was 10. The only thing I painted on it was the solar panels and I called it done. Those and Vader got his dip in Testors Gloss Black Enamel because that's all I had.

Good job!
I built one of these way back in 1978-79.
I just stumbled across this thread, so please excuse me. :)
I didn't have that trouble with the gap around those technical alcoves in the front part of the "Wing"?
Were those maybe supposed to go into the wing Before, you put the two halves together?
I am certain such a gap would have made me throw mine away when I was 13 years old, but I built it...And Yes, the Vader (as most of the pilot figures from MPC/Star Wars kits) was bad. ;D

thanks guys ;)

The parts was indeed made to be put in from the inside and not the way I put them... ;D

I'm almost done, spent the afternoon on it! 8)

Oh man....
I have made similar mistakes in building models over the years.
I recovered admirably!!!!!!
Looks great thus far!
I have thought a few times over the last several years that I should build another one of these. Especially since my old one has been scrapped, and my skills are greatly improved since the one I built. :)

It's looking great!
It might be interesting to do a "What-If" version of this ship.
The fighter was not destroyed at the end of "A New Hope".
So, what if someone had stolen it, made some alterations, and maybe even gave it a custom paint job?
:)

Thanks! ;)

indeed, it could be a bounty hunter personnal ship for short missions for example! :)

I imagine a big blaster or turbolaser on one of the sides of the ship! :)

Exactly!!!!
I was thinking of a bounty Hunter's ship!
With some cool markings !!!
Maybe another Madalorian Commando?

Latest posts

Back