more airbrushing troubles

MrNatural

my head is falling off my head
My Badger Anthem155 has recently started sputtering paint. When I try to spray the effect is similar to trying to spray a garden hose with a slight kink in it. The paint comes out and within seconds it starts doing this.

The first thing I did was disassemble and deep clean the entire brush. Same problem. Then I replaced the needle and the valve assembly with brand new ones I keep for back up. Still sputtering.

I've been airbrushing for a few years now and have never had a problem like this. So Im positive its not an issue with paint thickness or what have you. My Badger Patriot works fine with the same paint consistency.

I always use the jar with the siphon tube. So I tried to spray using the color cup instead and had the same problem.

Seems like as soon as I solve one issue with my airbrushes something else goes wrong :p

MrNatural said:
Then I replaced the needle and the valve assembly with brand new ones I keep for back up. Still sputtering.

What about the paint tip itself? Do you have a magnifier you can check it under for a spit or flaring?

sunsanvil said:
MrNatural said:
Then I replaced the needle and the valve assembly with brand new ones I keep for back up. Still sputtering.

What about the paint tip itself? Do you have a magnifier you can check it under for a spit or flaring?

Took a real close look at the tip and the nozzle under a magnifier and there are no rips or tares that I could see. I am completely baffled. Its my favorite airbrush too :-[

Probably end up sending it back to badger to be repaired. I've heard good things about their repair service.

I really hate when one of my airbrushes is messed up. I just dont feel right until they are all in working order.

MrNatural said:
I just dont feel right until they are all in working order.

Some may say we're nuts, but I'm the exact same way!

Your Patriot sort of proves there is nothing wrong with your air-source or hose. Sounds like you've replaced everything in your power to replace. Does it spray water just fine?

If you really cant figure it out then ya, send it over to them and I'm sure they'll fix you up in no time. If you are in the US its a no brainier (if you are outside the states the cost of sending an airbrush can be expensive to the point of making self-repair a little more compelling :) ).

that is odd but i would send it back seeing as it has a liftime warranty, you have noting to loose and when you get it back it will be like new.

sunsanvil said:
MrNatural said:
I just dont feel right until they are all in working order.

Some may say we're nuts, but I'm the exact same way!

Your Patriot sort of proves there is nothing wrong with your air-source or hose. Sounds like you've replaced everything in your power to replace. Does it spray water just fine?

If you really cant figure it out then ya, send it over to them and I'm sure they'll fix you up in no time. If you are in the US its a no brainier (if you are outside the states the cost of sending an airbrush can be expensive to the point of making self-repair a little more compelling :) ).

Yeah I tried just spraying thinner through it and it still spits and sputters. I do live in the US so Im just going to send it in. I dont want to buy anymore replacement parts if im not sure whats causing the problem.

Sounds like you have a problem with an air valve in the brush, something is not holding pressure, send it in to have it fixed.

Oh, my God! I can't believe that no one has figured out the real problem - IT'S YOUR COMPRESSOR!! NOT THE AIRBRUSH!! NEWBIES!! ::) When you get sputtering - that's WATER in the line getting into your paint. This is because you don't have an inline filter/water evaporator attached to your tank/compressor. If you're using compressed air it'll still do the same thing. Cold air coming into contact with warm air in the line condeses, and becomes WATER. This makes any airbrush spatter like this. I learned this with my Paasche earlier this year when it did the same thing. It's because warm air is going into the cold tank, and causing condensation in the air. This becomes even worse as the tank becomes more dry (less air), and picks up water droplets, and puts them into the airhose. I've had this same problem before, but I never really thought of it until I got a new compressor with a reserve tank. The old one ran all the time, so it wouldn't store cold air - instead you got water droplets after it sat a while. Once warm it sprayed as usual. But when cold - it did the same thing that you described here. I hope this helps someone from making a costly shipping mistake! :)

Little Cutie said:
Oh, my God! I can't believe that no one has figured out the real problem - IT'S YOUR COMPRESSOR!! NOT THE AIRBRUSH!! NEWBIES!! ::)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Little Cutie said:
Oh, my God! I can't believe that no one has figured out the real problem - IT'S YOUR COMPRESSOR!! NOT THE AIRBRUSH!! NEWBIES!! ::)

What Ken said.

The original poster did not say "a bunch of clear liquid spurts out" which is what happens with condensation in the line. On the other hand they did say "...My Badger Patriot works fine with the same paint consistency.", which, assuming they don't have a separate compressor for each airbrush, pretty much rules it out anyway.

BTW Mr.Natural, did you end up sending it in to Badger, and of so how did that go?

sunsanvil said:
Little Cutie said:

What Ken said.

The original poster did not say "a bunch of clear liquid spurts out" which is what happens with condensation in the line. On the other hand they did say "...My Badger Patriot works fine with the same paint consistency.", which, assuming they don't have a separate compressor for each airbrush, pretty much rules it out anyway.

BTW Mr.Natural, did you end up sending it in to Badger, and of so how did that go?
Not it doesn't when paint comes out of it first, then starts doing this. Let me reiterate what Mr.Natural said:

MrNatural said:
My Badger Anthem155 has recently started sputtering paint. When I try to spray the effect is similar to trying to spray a garden hose with a slight kink in it. THE PAINT COMES OUT AND within seconds it starts doing this.

Clear liquid doesn't always come out when you have paint right at the source of the airbrush tip. Get it? Maybe if you guys spent more time working, and less time talking you'd find out that I'm right. The only other thing that would do this is paint build up inside the gun/sprayer that you're using. Some clogs get stuck inside the airbrush from not cleaning properly and this can cause a similar problem, but usually water in your paint does this more than not. Clean your airbrush regularly, and THOROUGHLY and use a water trap you won't have either of these problems.

Little Cutie said:
sunsanvil said:
Little Cutie said:

What Ken said.

Not it doesn't when paint comes out of it first, then starts doing this. Let me reiterate what Mr.Natural said:

MrNatural said:
My Badger Anthem155 has recently started sputtering paint. When I try to spray the effect is similar to trying to spray a garden hose with a slight kink in it. THE PAINT COMES OUT AND within seconds it starts doing this.

Clear liquid doesn't always come out when you have paint right at the source of the airbrush tip. Get it? Maybe if you guys spent more time working, and less time talking you'd find out that I'm right. The only other thing that would do this is paint build up inside the gun/sprayer that you're using. Some clogs get stuck inside the airbrush from not cleaning properly and this can cause a similar problem, but usually water in your paint does this more than not. Clean your airbrush regularly, and THOROUGHLY and use a water trap you won't have either of these problems.

talking is just as much fun as building so why would we want to do less of it?

Guys , I only just saw this thread or i would have answered sooner .

Little Cutie may have come across a bit ...err blunt ! But ...He/she does have a point ,Water /moisture can & will cause this sort of problem . You dont always see water spraying from the AB ...only in extreme cases .I have experienced it in both AB's & spray guns ,when painting in real life ...ie a car or something ,the water is more noticable in the paint and appears like small lumps in the paint finish ,when the water evaporates those lumps become blisters . But my point is ...this could be the problem . ....Do you have a water trap fitted ? if so is it working ? I always have two on mine ,a water trap at the compressor outlet and a small inline filter at the AB end ,works a treat :)

Chris.

Little Cutie said:
sunsanvil said:
Little Cutie said:

What Ken said.

MrNatural said:

He also said that he is only having the problem with ONE airbrush, the 155, but when he uses his other airbrush, he doesn't have the problem, so obviously it isn't a problem with his compressor set up, but something wrong with the airbrush itself.

At no point did he say that the airbrush was spitting water, and I quote

My Badger Anthem155 has recently started sputtering paint. When I try to spray the effect is similar to trying to spray a garden hose with a slight kink in it. The paint comes out and within seconds it starts doing this.

The key ingredient there is that the sputtering spray effect is SIMILAR to spraying a hose with a kink in it, meaning that the airbrush is sputtering paint, like a hose with a kink in it would sputter water, at no time did he say that the airbrush was sputtering water, so I don't even know why you would mention a water trap, nevermind your condescending attitude towards the situation and all that have tried to offer advice to MrN.

When you come onto this forum, we politely ask that you check your egos and attitudes at the door, as they are not welcomed here.

Reading some of these posts is like an episode of judge Judy. Lol. Sorry just had to chime in.

Sunsanvil-I have not got around to mailing my anthem 155 back to badger. I'll get around to it, in the mean time, really learning to love my patriot ;D

Elm City Hobbies said:
He also said that he is only having the problem with ONE airbrush, the 155, but when he uses his other airbrush, he doesn't have the problem, so obviously it isn't a problem with his compressor set up, but something wrong with the airbrush itself.

When you come onto this forum, we politely ask that you check your egos and attitudes at the door, as they are not welcomed here.
I'm sorry - I didn't read that part too well. It was 3:00 in the A.M. and I was tired. Things didn't make too much sense by then - this isn't the only thread that I did this with. It was a little premature for me to post what I did. It seems that there's a lot of newbie type questions from senior members referring to airbrushes on other forums lately - people that should know better by now after using them for years. I was only being incredulous when I said (NEWBIES). I just meant that not all things were mentioned, or discussed as there's a myriad of things that can, and will go wrong with any type of spray eqiupment. Water doesn't have to visibly come out to be a problem while painting. It can build, and become troublesome just as originally described in MrNaturals' first post. Since the two don't mix it can cause the same symptoms as the first poster (Chris) on this page concurred. I was only hoping to offer a solution - not lip service. :-[ Thanks for the help from those who actually cared enough to offer it. It's always appreciated.

Latest posts

Back