Monogram 1/48 T-37 Tweety Bird (Conversion from A-37 kit)

Bzzymatt

Stayin Bzzy :P
O.k. I haven't really been on SMA for a while, since in fact I have a lot of other things to do!!!! Being only 16 years old, I'm having a very hectic schedule, but I was recently asked to build a T-37 model for an older gentlemen who use to fly F-86's, but also flew the T-37.

It was going to be a challenge because I was trying to finish my 1/700 USS Neosho and 1/48 P-40B, but since this was going to be a Christmas present fro this gentleman, and they had no one else to turn to, I went ahead and started to work on the project.

My deadline to finish the model is before Christmas, so I only have a few weeks left....

There are some old T-37 kits on the market which go for $60 to $70, but they wanted me to build it as cheap as possible, which shouldn't be too hard because I've been building models for over 4 years and I have a lot of the supplies needed to do the job.

I am building the T-37 from an old Monogram A-37 Kit, a very basic kit in my opinion, but there is so much work to do. The tanks on the wing tips would have to be removed and I would have to shape the wing tips, A lot of filler is going to be needed, and as for decals, I have some but not all the decals needed to finish the model.

IMG_0126.jpg

The cockpit is very basic to assemble, However I detailed the model with air hoses made of copper wire, seat belts made of evergreen styrene strips, and more copper wire to make the cockpit look a little more complex.Tthe cockpit walls were not painted, but weathered with Tamiya weathering kit Master set "A" and some MIG weathering pigments.

After assembling the cockpit, it was time to get down to the hard portion of the build....The wings.

Cutting off the tanks on the wing tips was a little tricky, but I'll show you a easy way to remove the tanks.

IMG_0175.jpg

I started off by cutting off the tips of the tank, so the wing can fit in my mitre box.

IMG_0177.jpg

Next, I marked where I would cut off the tank.... do not cut off the entire tank, but cut it off close enough to the wing.

IMG_0178.jpg

Now, cut off the tank with your razor saw.

IMG_0180.jpg

Your wing should now look like this.....

IMG_0181.jpg

From here you will lay the wing tip halves on the mitre box, as seen in this photograph, and remove the rest of the tank....Be sure the razor saw is up against the wing when you remove the last of the tank.

IMG_0183.jpg

The rest can be removed with a hobby knife and sand paper :)

IMG_0176.jpg

I will update you guys soon!!!

Matt

For filling in the wing tips, most scale modelers will use putty, but I went with a different approach to the matter.

With my skills of using resin, I took some solid blocks of evergreen and shaped the wing tips using reference photographs.

So far, I have successfully completed one wing tip!!!! :D here is what it looks like....

IMG_0213.jpg

IMG_0214.jpg

More updates soon!!!!

Matt :D

Nice bit of chopping there fella ,those tips are looking good . So is the cockpit ;)

Chris.

Cessna-T-37-on-ramp.jpg

Thanks for the support on this project so far!!!!

Austin132010: Really?!?!?! How much flying time did your dad get in the Tweety bird???

Bzzymatt said:
Cessna-T-37-on-ramp.jpg

Thanks for the support on this project so far!!!!

Austin132010: Really?!?!?! How much flying time did your dad get in the Tweety bird???

He got about 3,000 hours in the Tweet as an instructor pilot. And the plane in the picture is actually one of the ones he flew in, when he was based at Columbus Air Force Base.

Austin132010: Your dad is very lucky to have flown in an aircraft like this. I personally have never heard of of it until now, and it will be in my memory forever!!!! :D

But the tweety bird in this picture, is what the scheme of my plane will be. :)

I've been painting my tweety bird for the past few days :D

I just applied another coat of insignia blue :D :D :D It looks amazing!!!!!!

Will post pictures tomorrow afternoon of the progress!!!!!!

Matt :)

That wing modifaction came out excelent!!! If you hadn't told me, I would have thought it came right out of the box with those wings!

Nice Job!

Latest posts

Back