Model Master Enamels

Dusky

I sprayed my Tamiya Jeep using Model Master Olive Drab enamel in a spray can. How many days does it take to cure? Right now it's still rather sticky and venting fumes and it's been four days.

Tacky after 4 days is odd but it still venting isn't too surprising. Is it possible you didn't shake it enough?

ShutterAce said:
Tacky after 4 days is odd but it still venting isn't too surprising. Is it possible you didn't shake it enough?

Could be, but I kinda doubt it. I'll let it sit for another week and see how it goes.

Is it cold where the model is sitting ,or damp ...enamels dont like either and will take longer to dry ,also if you put a lot on it will take a while .

Chris.

Chris S said:
Is it cold where the model is sitting ,or damp ...enamels dont like either and will take longer to dry ,also if you put a lot on it will take a while .

Chris.

Nope. It's sitting on top of a book shelf in close proximity to a floor lamp.

I am curious about this as well. I would like to find a reason, and a solution, as to why this happens from time to time.

I had a car painted with gloss enamel that never dried. After a couple of weeks I decided to strip it and re-paint. The second time around it dried within 24 hours or so.

It always seems hit or miss with Testor's enamels, especially the Grey Primer. I have had several instances where models takes weeks to dry if they even dry completely without staying a bit "sticky". I've been curious as to the reasons. It always feels like a gamble as to whether this thing will dry or not.

I have had luck with just spraying some Testors DullCoate over it after a couple of weeks (has not cause any cracking of the paint and cured the sticky problem)

Because of this I try to stick to either Tamiya or Games Workshop or Army Painter acrylic sprays.

I have had this problem with MM paints before as well. Usually happens when I apply too much paint. And they do tend to vent fumes for a while. I have also found the surface to be quite rough. I tried Tamiya spray cans and was very impressed. It was dry to the touch in a few minutes and fully curred in a matter of hours. No prolonged venting of fumes. If done right the finish can come out real smooth.

Tamiya spray cans are a synthetic acrylic lacquer. While they seem to be fully cured they actually take a couple days to fully cure. Great paint, but poor color selection.

I went to my local ACE Hardware and brought the camo olive drab and the other camo colors they have. I spray over auto primer. To this date there have been no probs. Sprays smooth and dries really fast. Its from Krylon. Hope this helped

I'll stick to model specific paints and acrylics and the occassional acrylic lacquer. No problems with them yet.

Latest posts

Back