messy working environment

WhiteLeopard

I think it time to buy another desk and some storage . Any ideas on cheap storage stuff ? What do you use?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Hey..How did you get a picture of my desk ;D
I'm basically in the same situation as you.

I'm always looking for cheap ways to 'decorate' the space. For starters some of those plastic rolling drawer units are a good start. Around $20. I have some peg board to hang stuff. You gotta work within the space - look at the dollar store for cheap bins and stuff like that - build stuff if you can.

I see you have retreated to the keyboard lower shelf!
(Run before the mess gets ya!)
No but it happens mine is like that too once in a while! :)

I suggest Ocean State Job Lot, Dollar Stores, and even Walmart. There's usually a ton of nifty modeler related things in the home office sections or food storage aisles that are not meant for modlers, but work great anyway.

First of all! You are not alone! My build space is like yours! I dig it out! And it turns into this monster
Again after a few weeks if not days!

Many have simple ways to control the clutter ! Either clever space saving bins and containers or it can be as simple as a strong discipline about your work area! Keep it clean!

Each tool has a place and each space has it's purpose. I feel your pain, I tried to keep my place tidied up but fail at time to keep up with my own rules...

A good mixture of savy storage bins and self discipline should help any Space challenged modelers in check and yor building experience should get better!

Best of luck in your search for solution to your problem.... Or our problem? LoL

Norm.

Out!

I know when my space has got a little bit too crowded, when I turn a model around to view it from another angle and a whole load of stuff gets knocked over sideways and cascades onto the floor. Usually it's the glue bottle, the white spirit or turps bottle or a piece of model that's still setting or drying, tools, tea cup - you name it. The space under my bench is stuffed full of parts bins/greeblie bins/donor household bits and pieces so there's nowhere to 'hide' stuff either.

I reckon shelves above the bench are a great help. Stuff like storage boxes, glues and paints, ref' books can go on the shelves while tools can hang on hooks along the edges or down the sides of the shelves.

Funny thing is, after the best part of 20 years without a modelling den of any sort to call my own...I love it even when it's messy! ;D

I think I've showed these photos here already, but if not, here's my bench:

the_forge_01.jpg

and the drawing board I use to hold reference materials, and an auxiliary bench:

the_forge_02.jpg

I took these almost two years ago, but it still looks pretty much the same.

I toy with the idea of adding a back to the bench, with some shelving for jars of paint, and a piece of pegboard, so I can hang some of the figure kits where I can see them. I have also just bought some stacking plastic bins, and I'm transferring most of my figure kits to those bins. Again, it's to make it easier to sort through and find a particular figure, than it is now, where I have them piled up in copier paper box lids. I'm finding castings that I forgot I had. I could go for a couple of years without buying a new figure, and still not get through the whole pile. Of course, with the East Coast Toy Soldier Show this Sunday, I may very well pick up some more...

Oh, and I started adding some storage shelf space under the bench, on the left side. Eventually, it will consist of rails on which I can set pieces of plywood, where I can store more of my model kit stash. I'll be able to lay some of the large boxes flat, like my 1/48 B-17 and B-24 kits, without laying other boxes on top of them.

It's always a work in progress ;)

Excellent stuff! A modelling den and accompanying beer supply!

My bench looks like that when I'm in mid-build.
Luckily, it's too small to let me have more than maybe a couple of things going at once,

And remember:
A clean, uncluttered desk....workbench is the sign of a sick mind
:p

I keep most of my tools in a large fishing tackle box..works out really well , (when I clean up and put everything back in it)

Latest posts

Back