Messerschmitt Me 410B-1/U2/R4 - 1/48th Revell-Monogram Promodeller

Ferris928

Messerschmitt Me 410B-1/U2/R4
1/48th Revell-Monogram Promodeller
Built Out Of Box.

Detailing depict the aircraft flown by Major Eduard Tratt, Leading Zerstörer ace (destroyer ace), and Gruppe Kommandeur of II./ZG26, Köningsberg German, February 1944 with 38 Victories.

DSC00957.jpg
Or…at least I hope it does it justice. :)

I started this on May 8th 2009 (seems a lot longer ago) And now I’m calling it finished.
Build Page: http://www.scalemodeladdict.com/forum/index.php/topic,87.0.html

Building the Kit:
As far as building goes, this kit went together very well. The instructions are a little skittish around some of the cockpit, but in the end things worked well.

DSC00953.jpg

Painting and Detailing:
This was my first time doing (Attempting) the German ‘Mottling’ style of camouflage. Members have commented to me that I got it right, and I thank you for it. I think it got it right too.
The issued decals were fairly good. They went down real well with Micro-set and Micro-sol. The only problems I hade were the white band near the tail and one of the crosses on the bottom starboard wing. The cross was damaged before it was put in the water and it came open when I lifted it up. So that more than likely came while shipping or being bumped around. It came out great in the end. The white band on the other hand took a lot more work to get it to conform to the fuselage. My advice to anyone when they’re confronted with this decal is to just mask and pint the stripe. Save the heartburn and stress for some other time. :)
The masking was a pain. I should’ve looked for cut masks. There are a few panels that weren’t masked completely, but they’re not prominent enough to truly call it a failure.

DSC00960.jpg

I used Tamiya, Testors Model Master, and Polly Acrylics on this plane. All worked really well except the Polly. Polly paints have a fast drying time from what I’ve found out. The blue under body color kept drying and clogging my AB. So I mixed my own with Tamiya colors. The other Polly colors worked fine for some reason.

DSC00965.jpg

Future was used as the gloss coat before and after decals. No problems there. I used oil paints for the panels and in the process of rubbing off the excess on the bottom, managed to knock all the wing balance thingies that hang down. So they’re not on the finished kit. Will have to work on that for the next kit.

DSC00975.jpg

For a flat coat I used Model Master Flat Clear Acrylic. I got the bottom done, then became distracted with other things and set the kit aside for a while. Then when I came back recently to finish it I made the mistake of using a different flat on the top of the plane. I used an extremely old bottle of Polly flat clear. This then decided to frost up on me and cause my heart to sink. I thought that I had just screwed up the whole thing. It went on fine and then it changed. I tried to rub it out with water-didn’t work. I tried acrylic thinner-nope, didn’t work. I thought that maybe if I cover it with Future it might somehow clear up. Nope! So I came up with the last idea of gently sanding it down as a last resort.

DSC00980.jpg

So I broke out the Fine sanding stick and started at it. I was able to get most of it off. Now the aircraft has a bit of a faded(?) look to it. It was acceptable to me.
I was going to plan on doing engine exhaust stains and the radio wire above the aircraft. But since I was able to avert 1 crisis, I decided not to take the chance on anymore. Maybe in the future if I do another 410 things will go better and I’ll get more detailed.

DSC00971.jpg

DSC00977.jpg

DSC00979.jpg

Thanks for checking it out.
Thanks for all the support you guys.
I hope you enjoy the pics.

Ferris.

thanks!
The spinners are the decals that came with it. I'm not too sure if they would've came our decent if I tried to paint them. The decals were a pain in themselves. i was waiting for them to rip while working on them, but they held up.

This is fantastic! Great job. You should zip em up and email me with a description for the gallery. Great work on this.

Looks damn good to me. Been ages since I did aircraft but I still love looking at them. Your camo looks really good. The fact that the model had a slight faded look after your rescue effort I think would help with the overall used/real look. :) :)

Noddy4000 said:
Looks darn good to me. Been ages since I did aircraft but I still love looking at them. Your camo looks really good. The fact that the model had a slight faded look after your rescue effort I think would help with the overall used/real look. :) :)
Thanks! :)
That's what I was thinking (hoping). The pucker factor was extremely high while i was sanding. i didn't want to go through the first layers of Future and and such. There was no way I'd be able to replicate the paint job if i messed that up. So i played it safe.

Scott Girvan said:
This is fantastic! Great job. You should zip em up and email me with a description for the gallery. Great work on this.
SWEAT!!! Gimme a few days to get some 'quality' pics done and I'll fire them over to you.

OK No clue how I missed this. Ferris, this is GORGEOUS work! I love the attention to details you put into this baby. Great work on the mottle camo. I love the subtle blend you did with it. It's not in your face but it's part of the plane itself. I love it. The wash is done very well. Brings out all the details in a subtle way that it isn't glaring. The very subtle weathering put the plane in use and the sanding to make the tires flat is just about perfect. I always mess that part up. I like the fact you didn't keep a pristine shine on the canopy. I always though that weird about planes. People weather up the plane to go through some use but the canopy are always at it's shiniest. lol The wheels are a flat sheen. I really love what you did to this bird!

You were not the only one to miss this thread!, Having done a similar build I can full understand the stress of masking and painting that damnable splinter scheme multiple times and having minor painting / finishing disasters. This looks fantastic, It looks even better than mine.

Thanks guys!

The wheels:
Were stock weighted. I used Gunze Tire Black on the rubber and gloss black on the inner ‘metal’ parts.
The paint and camo: The canopy was masked right over the actual plastic, I finished masking the beast then remembered I forgot to do a future dip.
The absolute hard part was getting the Motling done right. I switched between the colors sooo many times. I was afraid panel lines were gonna fill up. From my experience, use LOW pressure, very thinned colors, and a fine AB tip.
**Check out Brett Green’s Hyperscale Channel on Youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/hyperscale#g/u **
Model Master Acryl Flat is what I used for the final clear flat.

Detail wise, I could’ve gone further. But with the accumulating saves from disasters, I figured I’d cut my losses and end the build. I wanted to do the gun-powder stains and engine exhausts, but decided no to.

This looks really nice. For one it's a nice looking plane. Number two, you did a fine job weathering it. Looks about right to me.

Just out of curiousity, how did you decide to do this plane?

noname said:
Just out of curiousity, how did you decide to do this plane?

I’m not too sure what you’re asking.
If you’re asking ‘why’ I chose to build it…
In no particular order. For one, I think the Me 210/410 looks bad *ss. Two, the reviews were positive on it. Three, I wanted to do a ‘mottled’ camo on a plane, the #1 reason I bought an airbrush. Four, I wanted my first build for SMA to be something really cool (I just wish it didn’t take so long to finish).

Now, if you’re asking why I chose the particular scheme of the plane. To be completely honest, it looked the easiest for me and my skills to accomplish.

I hope that answers your question. :)

Yes, that answers my question. I was wondering if you chose it in part because it was cool looking. There could be other reasons but for me it should have an aesthetic appeal.

I guess, I missed this tread while it was still hot..... Nice job on this build, You take care of her now! She turned out to be quite the looker!

Norm.

Latest posts

Back