Messerschmitt Me-329

Good Evening.
Time for another update.
Since last time, I added some ballast to the front fuselage and then attached it to the main fuselage. The rest of the front landing gear bay was cut out and trimmed.
Yesterday the mounting supports for the wings were installed, as was the rear gunsight periscope.
Today the frame for the vertical stabilizer was installed and the tail was cutout, shaped and folded. Plus hearing about this project Major Hartmann had to see what was going on.

Tail1_zps62d3f452.jpg

After the frame dried the tail was slipped over the frame and glued into place.

Tail2_zpscc254808.jpg

I'm waiting for a vacuform box to arrive, to make the canopy. So I think that the wings will be started next.

Thank you for following.
Comments and questions welcome.

Jim

Hello.
Today is the day that we start on the wings.
Spent today cutting out all the relevant parts for the construction of framework for the wings.
As is usual when cutting out thick card, I end up snapping off the tip of the knife blades. Ended up going through 6 blades. ::) Only have 3 left. I see a visit to the hobby shop.

Wing1_zps0101e03b.jpg

Should be able to start putting some of this together tomorrow.
Thank you for following.

Jim

Thank you Patrick.
There is actually quite a bit of mass in these wings.

Jim

Started assembly of the wing framework.
First assembled the engine nacelle core, as this is the most solid section and will help to keep the wing square during construction.
Since I will be installing the engines. This core will be cutout after the engine cover and lower nacelle skins have been shaped and assembled.

Wing2_zpsf8ab4e87.jpg

If I had still had my wing jig, the wing frame could have been built without gluing in the nacelle core. An extra step, but the best compromise.
With the wing framework constructed and the spar tubes mounted, the wings were slid onto the spars. This gives an overall view of the aircraft so far.

Wing3_zps957da0b4.jpg

Thank you for following.

Jim

Thank you Scott.
It reminds me of back when I use to build RC aircraft. Same techniques.

Jim

Thank you Patrick.
It does give a different feel once the wings are there.

Jim

Well, the only thing that was accomplished this weekend was the construction of the landing gear bays for the wings.
Not many pieces, but also no glue tabs. These had to be shaped and edge glued, a slow process. Since their shape is complex, one cannot glue the whole structure at once.

Wing4_zps40598359.jpg

Once they were assembled then they could be mounted into the wing. When dry they were able to be trimmed to fit even with the formers.

Wing5_zps0149f0bb.jpg

I think before I deal with the skins over the root and the length of the wing, the skins for the engine nacelles should be next.

Thank you for following.
Questions and comments welcome.

Jim

Thank you Patrick.
With this genre of modeling there are very few quick builds. Month to three months is common. I've seen some builds that are a year plus. So patience is a definite requirement.

Jim

Latest posts

Back