Memory and modeling

Just Mike

Okay, this is a little out there so bear with me, okay?

Last night, I was trying something on my iPad and I was looking for the right words to use. There was a Subway sandwich shop commercial on as I was trying to come up with the appropriate word or phrase to use. When I came back to the post and reading the phrase I chose, I came back to, I remembered the Subway commercial.

The same exact thing happens when I'm working on a model. If I'm working on a part of a model and I'm watching a movie on my portable device or in front of my TV, I can remember the scene and the dialogue of what was on when I was working on that part. As an example, a few years ago, I was working on an Ertl AT-ST while watching "Man of the House". I was doing one of the legs and when I came back to the model a day or two later to sand it smooth or paint it, I remembered which part of the movie I was watching as I was putting it together.

To me, the sensation is a little like how a smell reminds you of a specific instance from long ago or an old flame or something like that.

Kind of makes me think it might be worth looking into with behaviorists and psychiatrists and educators - maybe instead of the rote learning techniques they're using now which is archaic, maybe it should be stimulus-based somehow.

Reminds me of one of those Nova specials on PBS called "How Smart Can We Get?" The host was going through memory training by memorizing words by associating them with the things around him in a room and making a story about it.

i think this kinda of thing happens alot and not just in models i could be doing something and i would remember specif details about something that reminded me of it years ago

Latest posts

Back