McLaren Mercedes MP4-20

Here we are some images to show the black paint. Its still drying.
IMGP0270_zpsf47188b7.jpg

IMGP0271_zpsf5c9656e.jpg

IMGP0272_zps697456d1.jpg

IMGP0273_zps4293a55f.jpg

More will come when i spay the silver coat on.

Thats the silver added.
IMGP0274_zps3b836de4.jpg

Just some advise for anybody looking to doing this model its a pig to mask off the black so you can get the line right. It took me longer to do that then it did to spray the damn thing.

I might put some clear gloss on it not to sure yet will see how shiny it is when its all dry when i get up.

If i dont have to do it then the next shots you will see will be the build and decals.

She is almost ready :)

Almost there now. Decals are next then i will put a clear coat over it and then add the wheels. She should be done by the end of thursday.

IMGP0281_zps6ca4b741.jpg

IMGP0280_zpscaae8598.jpg

IMGP0279_zpsd0e7d73a.jpg

IMGP0277_zps440a2056.jpg

Word of advice, use the clear gloss before the decals, they will go on much easier.

You can always give it a second coat after the decals.

Wow, it look's really good. McLarean always was my favorite F1 team so witch pilot decals would you put on it?

Re: McLaren Mercedes MP4-20 Is Done :)

Well thats her all done now. This is my first model in 15 years so please be nice :-\ Lets add the images first then i will put my thoughts down.

IMGP0286_zps85766a08.jpg

IMGP0287_zps849e1dc3.jpg

IMGP0288_zps051b07de.jpg

IMGP0289_zpsbd42ef74.jpg

IMGP0290_zps2ed89ebe.jpg

So my thoughts on this build.

I think Revell should make this a skill level 4 just because masking the body and some of the decals was a nightmare.

Overall the model was good. There was some flash on the smaller parts but seen that on many models. Having the 2 tone body and no mask to do was a big oversight from revell it took me about 2 hours to do this my self as you would have seen in the other images i have posted.

Enamel paints are a no no for me from now on i hate them more now then i did all those years ago. They stink there a pain to get out of your airbrush. They take far to long to go off, They making gluing a right pain as the revell contacta eats the paint so many touch ups was needed after glue up.

The decals that come with this kit look very nice but the glue on them is rubbish. I cheated with mine after socking in water i also put some PVA glue on the area i wanted the decal so the buggers would stick. Work awesome :)

So overall i am really happy how this came out. after many years away i had to learn alot and also alot of new stuff that has come along in that time.

So i can now move on to a new model and learn some more.

I would like to thanks all of you who have looked in on my work and given feed back. Its really helped me along the way.

Thanks Wayne.

;D Looks Great !
I assume you like your new airbrush setup ?

Enamel paints are a no no for me from now on i hate them more now then i did all those years ago
AAH HA HA Ha Ha hahaha ;) .... I hate em too --

Wow, this look great, she really came out good. Can't wait to see your next build.

Keep the good work!

She looks great.

As to the enamel thing, well, I gave up on them too.
And that was even before I started using an airbrush regularly

Nice work on what is a semi difficult kit, i agree the masking is a bitch on this one.

Nice finish pitstop, looks good.

I agree with all, enamels are rubbish. Same thoughts with Revell kits I don't rate them at all, granted they have some good subjects, but they are way off the pace compared to many other makers out there ( controversial I know, please don't hate me for saying it )

But it came out real nice, well done and welcome back to the hobby.Get your self some Tamiya masking tape, magic stuff, will stop the bleeding between lines.

Ps; the base is cool too :)

Thanks so much for all the kind words Chaps :D never thought anyone would look in on me but the support and advise you have all given me has been so awesome. SMA is now the place i call home.

@Rookie thanks for the tip on the masking tape.

I am working on a Academy model now. I will start a topic over in the air forum at some point tonight so you can see how i get on with it.

Thanks again Wayne.

Latest posts

Back