Matchbox BF109 E (1/32nd )

Chris S

Its a bit like being handcuffed to a lunatic !
Hi chaps :)

Been a little while since I built a wingy in here :) ....But I've been working on this project for a customer for the last few weeks and thought I should share it here with you too . Not finished yet ,but certainly getting there ,once its finished I can get back to a few of my own projects ;D

The aircraft Im aiming for is this one ........

ringel-1.jpg

This is Werner Ringel's mount during the Russia campaign 1942 .

The Kit I had to start with is the oldd Matchbox kit ( 1977) To be honest its not too bad ,yes it requires detailing but the overall shape is near perfect and the fit is actually quite good given the age !!

Two areas which do require a lot of work ....The cockpit , or lack off it :(

DSCF1266.jpg

The wheel wells ....there really is nothing in there !! just holes ,I have to make up the whole well !

DSCF1268.jpg

So I started with the cockpit ,scratched up the side walls ,added some detail around the seat ,made up the seat cushion with Milliput ,and scratched up the belts .....

DSCF1389.jpg

DSCF1390.jpg

The cockpit was then painted and the fuselage closed up :)

DSCF1393.jpg

DSCF1395.jpg

DSCF1400.jpg

DSCF1403.jpg

While the fuselage dried I set about making the wheel wells ,there isnt much to put in there tho so its not difficult . I scratched them up with thin plasticard and lined the well with foil to represnt the canvas cover .

DSCF1412.jpg

The cowlings were added to the front of the fueslage ,making sure the gap at the rear of the top cover was there as its meant to be ;)

DSCF1410.jpg

DSCF1411.jpg

With that done ,before joining the wings I went over the whole airframe adding all the missing rivet detail ,using Trumpeters rivet tool ......

IMAG0351.jpg

After some filling ,sanding & rescribing it was onto primer :)

DSCF1416.jpg

DSCF1417.jpg

DSCF1418.jpg

DSCF1419.jpg

DSCF1423.jpg

I also drilled out the holes for the rudder cables ....

DSCF1421-1.jpg

Next up ...Pre shade ,I added some white to all the areas which will later be painted yellow .

DSCF1426.jpg

DSCF1427.jpg

Then on with the yellow :)

DSCF1432.jpg

DSCF1434.jpg

Once dry I got straight onto the camo ....

DSCF1436.jpg

DSCF1437.jpg

The paint brought out the rivets nicely :)

DSCF1439.jpg

DSCF1441.jpg

And so ...Here's where Im at now ,After some Klear Im adding the decals ,nearly done with them now .

DSCF1444-1.jpg

DSCF1442.jpg

And thats all for tonight ;D ...more up tomorrow .

Thanks for looking.

Chris.

Chris, if you ever get bored and want to build me a model I wouldn't mind!!! Wow, is all I really have to say!!!

Way to go with that Matchbox kit!!!!! Kit details and all look really great! That rivet tool is pretty rad, huh?

Thank you very much gentlemen ;) The rivet tool is very handy ,you'll find them on ebay for about £5 they come with four different size wheels and cover from 1/72 ,1/48 , 1/32, 1/24 .. :)

More pics later ,the decs are done and I did some more fading /streaking with the AB ;D

Chris.

I 2nd what Chris said about the rivet tool! Although, I am definately not as skilled with it as Chris!

Thanks again Adam ;D ...Got to go out for a bit now ....pics later ;)

Hi folks :)

I finished up the decaling on the 109 ,then went back into the spraybooth .I applied some fading and streaking to the paintwork using both dark & light colours .The canopy and spinner have both been painted too :)

DSCF1466.jpg

DSCF1470.jpg

DSCF1467.jpg

DSCF1468.jpg

DSCF1463.jpg

DSCF1465.jpg

Panel lines & weathering next :)

Thanks for looking.

Chris,

stunning bit of work. in that scale its gonna make one hell of a model with a great presence

smashing work mate,

cheers,

shane.

I love the One-oh-Nine Emil so far. ;D
Good to see all the pictures (especially the cockpit detailing).

Thanks a lot guys ...appreciate the comments :) glad you like it .

Chris.

Thanks guys :)

Just working on some of the fiddly bits at the minute :)

The kit exhausts are ...well ....rubbish lol as can be seen in this pic ,so I swapped them out for a set from Quickboost ,which are really nice and include the proper seams .Athough they are for the Hasegawa kit ,they do fit the Matchbox kit perfectly ..I checked ;D

DSCF1471_zps81576cd0.jpg

The other thing that needs attention is the undercarriage ,the kit parts are'nt fantastic ,but they are from 1977 ! ,the leg and wheel detail being a bit on the soft side , So Im using Eduards Brassin resin wheel set ,which includes the tail wheel & post . The legs are being swapped for a set from Scale Aircraft Conversions ,which are for the Dragon kit ,but again will fit the Matchbox kit ,The detail on both these sets is far superior !.

DSCF1474_zps556cc008.jpg

comparison of the undies , the kit part is a bit on the thin side I think !!

DSCF1473_zpscdb47b09.jpg

So I shall return once these parts are sorted ...wont be long ;D

Chris.

Latest posts

Back