MASH ultimate diorama

Mashmaniac

I am building a huge diorama of the MASH 4077 compound using all the Revell kits and some scratch built buildings. It's going to be about a 5 foot square area. I was wondering if anyone else has tried this.

................. :eek:..........................

That Will be epic. i don't know of anyone trying one that size

Only in my dreams ;D seriously though, it is on my list of long range plans, as MASH was one of my favorite shows. It brings back wonderful memories watching it with my parents. On another note, I am also planing on building a Stalag 13 - Hogans Hero's Diorama.

-Steven

I've 'tried' some large dioramas...but never completed them.

My only advice is prepare yourself for a long build...you can do it! just need to realize it won't happen in a week or two.

I will try to post some pics this weekend. I have scratch built the O.R. Building and officers latrine so far, and am currently working on the mess tent.

Oh you're making me jealous , i wish i had room to build a 5 foot square diorama.

Ill definitely watch this with interest although we may be watching for a while!

Good luck man

I started to build the MASH compound - started on the Swamp first, but I didn't plan it out too well and kinda stopped very quickly. The Still is going to be a nice little model on its own.

I find the MASH 4077th layout abit confusing - still haven't worked out where everything in the hospital is situated.

I would suggest throwing away the Revell Tent kits and scratchbuild them all. Evac Chopper, Jeeps and Ambulances from Revell and Italeri look okay.

What are you using for the Medics and Nurses ?

Do you plan to have the Bus in the Diorama - I'm still trying to figure out what to use for it.

I would love to include the bus but can' t find a suitable old school bus. All of the buildings will be exterior detailed only. No interior work, so the still is out. I am not happy with the Revell tents, but have already vacuformed about 7 of them. May replace them later.

OK here are a few pictures of the O.R. building. The poles and no smoking sign are just leaning on the building for now.

[attachment deleted by admin]

I dont know if these pictures are clear enough to see alot of detail. It wouldn't let me do the larger file pics. Let me know what you think.

larger pics would be good...from what i can see youve done an outstanding job so far buddy love the bra a mans arch enemy

Someone suggested using photo bucket to save the pictures, then you can enlarge them to whatever size you want. May give that a try.

I started building the base for the diorama. It wound up being 6 feet across in both directions. It is a hexagonal shape with the main outside edges being 4 feet and the corners 1 foot at a 45 degree angle. I am making it in 2 pieces to be transportable.

Here is a pic of both sides. I used 3/4 sheet pink insulating board to keep it light. It has 1 x 2 pine bracing and 1 x 4 select pine for the edges. I painted the board with drylock to make waterproof and then painted an earth color latex on top of that. I still have to stain it.

Latest posts

Back