Making decals

So I want to start getting into making my own decals and printing them at my house. Other than having to clear coat ink jet decals is there a specific type of printer I should get? I understand decal sheets come in both white and clear and I see why. Also, what would be a good program to use for making my own decals? Any tips would be great, did a search and didn't really see anything.

Thanks guys

The biggest thing about the program is that it must be able to handle high resolution files.
As far as the printer goes, it's best if it's capable of photo quality prints

I have the same basic question

but haven't even used the Google yet .... ;D

Uru

Biggest issue is printing white, as most printers can't. ALPS printers could, but they are scarcer than hens teeth, and parts for them are even scarcer (as those that have an ALPS printer hoard the parts for themselves)

White decal paper can be a solution, but you then have to cut very closely around the decal, otherwise it will have a white halo where you obviously don't want it.

If you are just using an ink jet printer, the stuff Bare Metal Foil makes is good (if they still make it), however the real stuff that say Cartograph uses, no idea.

I've used the micromart stuff - transparent - on a laser printer with good success. They end up being a bit translucent so you have to be mindful of what color you are putting over what paint color; but worked for me.

I ended up getting a color laser printer and some testors decal paper to try it out. With a laser printer do I still need to clear coat the decal sheet afterwards?

amateurmodeler said:
I ended up getting a color laser printer and some testors decal paper to try it out. With a laser printer do I still need to clear coat the decal sheet afterwards?

I don't believe so, but print a test decal and try it. Reason you have to overcoat ink jet printed decals is because the ink is water soluble.

Careful with the laser printer. Even though many decal paper suppliers say you can use a laser printer, there is usually a fine print disclaimer about having to print only "right after" you turn the printer on, or manipulating settings to (try to) reduce the fuser temp....because it will literally melt the decal film.

Latest posts

Back