M38A1C Diorama

Scott Girvan said:
Hey,
Looking at that pic - i honestly feel that your ground needs more color variation and variation in the 'size' of cover. Like some small pieces of broken up earth, small rocks, especially up against the bags, beside the barrel.

Not like boulders, just some small little debris.

4x9.jpg

Snow on the bags looks good. - Just trying to keep it real, this is gonna be awesome!

Hmm... I think you might be on to something there. It's always helpfull to get another set of eyes looking at something like this.

Step 6: Add some more texture.

dscn2483s.jpg

I think the deciding factor to change it up a little was when my wife asked if it was done or if it was supposed to look kind of like a sugar donut.

It's really starting to look the part here, nice job.

To avoid the 'sugar doughnut' look, you can mix the snow (depending on what it is of course) with watered down white glue and apply it like a thinned paste. When the water and glue dry/evaporate it leaves behind a very realistic looking snow versus that spotted powdered look your wife saw.

8)

ScaleModelMadman said:
It's really starting to look the part here, nice job.

To avoid the 'sugar doughnut' look, you can mix the snow (depending on what it is of course) with watered down white glue and apply it like a thinned paste. When the water and glue dry/evaporate it leaves behind a very realistic looking snow versus that spotted powdered look your wife saw.

8)

Do you have a demo of that on your website? Sounds interesting!

Hi Norm,

unfortunately no I don't have any kind of demo, all I have is pictures of the finished items using the method but perhaps I should think about making a video of it.

;)

Splashcoat - you've got a great looking diorama there! Well done man, well done.

I'm pretty happy with how this turned out. Thanks to all for your kind words and suggestions along the way. Cheers ;D

SPLASH,

That second coating was on time ! It's really lookin good & Natural !! Are you planning adding a little weathering to th Jeep ? I'm not taking anything away from th DIo . It looks Great ! Just th Jeep could use some dirty weathering. ?

Rock-On !!

ERIK

fblanton said:
Looks great! postpics when you finish!

I thought I was finished :) You can fiddle around with these things for ages and still never be quite done. I've started having to step away when I consider it complete.
dscn2512u.jpg

@Panzerace - I see what you mean about the weathering. I was trying to avoid too much heavy weathering on this model and chose frozen groundwork to keep the mud buildup to a minimum.

Also, my research dug up many photos of these vehicles as deployed in Korea in a pretty well-maintained state; so I thought I could get away with it.
m38.jpg

Thanks for the constructive criticism, what looks convincing to the builder sometimes doesn't translate as well as one might hope. Cheers.

Great job, I like the subtle weathering. It's not what I personally do, but then some think I go too far. ;)

Its a very personal hobby and like my signature says,

"build how you like..." ;D

That turned out great. The weathering you did really ties into the look of the soldier. You can almost feel the cold on him looking at it.

Latest posts

Back