M38A1C Diorama

Splashcoat

Step 1: Concept Layout

dscn2446g.jpg

dscn2447e.jpg

I really like that. If I may I would mention a couple things to keep in mind - or disregard ;)

Have the Jeep just slightly off kilter to the opening you've made, so it didn't drive 'exactly' straight in.

The soldiers shoulders look perfectly perpendicular to the curb, that too I would rotate just a bit.

I'd add some other stuff piled/leaned up against the left (in photo) side of the can, just to add a touch of human chaos.

Just my 2 cents. Splashcoat, I really like where you're going with this. It will make for a great piece. Nice and to the point.

Step 2: Rethink and modify

dscn2451b.jpg

dscn2450i.jpg

dscn2448m.jpg

So after rethinking the intitial layout and absorbing the constructive criticism (thanks, Scott), the intitial layout gets a couple of tweeks.

The figure is speaking into a walkie talkie and is slightly hunched over towards the fire barrel. The sandbags will be turned slightly off kilter to the edge of the base in the final layout (they're temporarily stuck to the base right now). Some firewood will be piled near the barrel.

I like it much better now, for the type of things Scott mentioned as well as the figure change, I don't think this vehicle saw action until maybe the Korean war and into Vietnam perhaps, the German soldier looked out of place.

Which kit is that? (sorry if you mentioned elsewhere)

ScaleModelMadman said:
I like it much better now, for the type of things Scott mentioned as well as the figure change, I don't think this vehicle saw action until maybe the Korean war and into Vietnam perhaps, the German soldier looked out of place.

Which kit is that? (sorry if you mentioned elsewhere)

LOL, the D.A.K. figure is just an old, crappy figure I used as a stand-in to help me visualise the layout. I'm actually surprised that no one mentioned it until now. Maybe they just didn't want to be mean :)

The kit was produced by Skybow a number of years ago; and you're right on the money, Madman, it's painted and marked as a vehicle which was in use during the Korean war.

Splashcoat said:
LOL, the D.A.K. figure is just an old, crappy figure I used as a stand-in to help me visualise the layout. I'm actually surprised that no one mentioned it until now. Maybe that just didn't want to be mean :)

Cool, good to hear he was a body double. I never said anything the first time I looked at it for that very reason.

;)

Splashcoat said:
The kit was produced by Skybow a number of years ago; and you're right on the money, Madman, it's painted and marked as a vehicle which was in use during the Korean war.

Those are really, really nice kits. I have built three ex-Skybow kits: the BEEP, the WC57/56 and the A1 version of this kit without the RR.

Yours has come out very nice. Those Alpine figs are awesome too.

I have this kit as well, and it is a beauty. Canadian Forces used them as well (right up to the mid 70s or early 80s I believe), and mine will be marked as such. Just have to decide if I want to do it as it, or a Peacekeeping version.

Skybow kits are great, even for their age compared to new kits coming out today. I have the Walker Bulldog here as well, and it is so much better than the Tamiya kit it isn't funny. Also the WC51, but in the AFV boxing (it too was originally a Skybow kit I believe)

The story I got was that AFV Club bought all the Skybow molds (which apparently included the elusive M42 Duster which was never released by Skybow...how many would like to get their hands on one of those?!?!?!), and Accurate Armor bought all of the existing Skybow kits, and they still have a few of them still available, of which the WC63 Big shot is one of them (but I think this is still available from AFV Club as well), which would be nice to have.

Elm City Hobbies said:
Also the WC51, but in the AFV boxing (it too was originally a Skybow kit I believe)

Yes it was, that is the BEEP I mentioned above.

*the dodge was often called the Big Jeep, and the nickname BEEP grew from there. (it's even on the box) 8)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Step 3: Edging and groundwork.

dscn2454y.jpg

dscn2455vk.jpg

I used some leftover drywall repair compound thinned with water and acrylic paint with some grit and coffee grounds mixed in. This was a mistake as it's going to take about a week to fully dry. Pre-mixed drywall compound is not meant to be thinned... lesson learned.

Looking good - try putting a fan on it. Maybe moving air will speed up the drying time.

Curious to see how this comes out. I'm starting to think about groundwork for my Spit dio and I"m not sure what to use really - can't wait to see this in the next faze.

Love that Model !!!

it is very complete... and I miss it ! I did one in 2002 in an Early UN markings... Before they adopted the White Paint for all UN Vehicles... this is from a CYPRUS PPCLI Unit there in 1973...

DSC00291-1.jpg

Its been a while.. but I had lots of fun building it !!!

The Gun wasn't Carried much if I recall my Black and White Pictures... but I liked it that way !!!

I have another one in my stash and I want to do it "with out" the Gun this Time... and in "White" for Yet another late 70's or early 80's Cyprus Jeep ! but I might need the one with the Tail gate instead? a project for later.

ah those were the days !

Good luck with your project ! Great start and it can only get better from here....

Looking forward to your next update !

Norm.

OUT !

schweinhund227 said:
Love that Model !!!

it is very complete... and I miss it ! I did one in 2002 in an Early UN markings... Before they adopted the White Paint for all UN Vehicles... this is from a CYPRUS PPCLI Unit there in 1973...

DSC00291-1.jpg

Its been a while.. but I had lots of fun building it !!!

The Gun wasn't Carried much if I recall my Black and White Pictures... but I liked it that way !!!

I have another one in my stash and I want to do it "with out" the Gun this Time... and in "White" for Yet another late 70's or early 80's Cyprus Jeep ! but I might need the one with the Tail gate instead? a project for later.

ah those were the days !

Good luck with your project ! Great start and it can only get better from here....

Looking forward to your next update !

Norm.

OUT !
Great work on this one, Schweinhund. I don't think I've ever come across a seat configuration like the one you used here; it gives a very unique look to your model.

Well it was the Seat Configuration for the Canadian Variant !!!

maybe it was Only on the Canadian Variant !!! I can't tell ! I went with the Pictures that were
handed to me by the PPCLI officer that was there back in the days...

He was happy with the End result ! it won a Gold Medallion back in 2002 been in storage ever since !

Thanks for the Kind words !!!

Too bad Sky Bow is out ! they were creating superb models.

schweinhund227 said:
Well it was the Seat Configuration for the Canadian Variant !!!

maybe it was Only on the Canadian Variant !!! I can't tell ! I went with the Pictures that were
handed to me by the PPCLI officer that was there back in the days...

He was happy with the End result ! it won a Gold Medallion back in 2002 been in storage ever since !

Thanks for the Kind words !!!

Too bad Sky Bow is out ! they were creating superb models.

It does look cool.
This is MY favourite Canadian variant, by the way...
hortons-exfil.jpg

It is a shame about Skybow. I recently found another M38 kit from Skybow while I was re-organizing my stash of kits... I had completely forgotten about it. A pleasant surprise.

Step 5: Weathering

dscn2482k.jpg

I was just going to pile a little snow around and in-between the sandbags but it wasn't working the way I wanted it to. Then, I got a little carried away with the snow and I didn't like that either. I decided to start over so I scrubbed off most of the snow with an old toothbrush and ended up with what I think looks like pretty convincing frozen ground. Thoughts? Opinions? Withering criticisms?

Hey,
Looking at that pic - i honestly feel that your ground needs more color variation and variation in the 'size' of cover. Like some small pieces of broken up earth, small rocks, especially up against the bags, beside the barrel.

Not like boulders, just some small little debris.

4x9.jpg

Snow on the bags looks good. - Just trying to keep it real, this is gonna be awesome!

Latest posts

Back