M1-A1 Abrams Help!

letsgobrowns82

I need some help from all you armor guys. I have never built a tank but I really want to build an M1-A1. I spend most all my time in 1/48 Aircraft land and some Star Wars. So anyway can I get some opinions on who makes the best Abrams kit. As far as accuracy and fit go. Thanks for any help you can give.

Carsenault said:
Im an armor newb as well. I have the Dragon M1A1 AIM in the stash and it is a beaut, really cant wait to get working on it. Its a fairly recent release and has some really nice detail. Tamiyas kits should also be very nice, and probably a lot easier to build too.

Armorama Dragon M1A1 AIM review
http://www.armorama.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=1911
Wow that looks like a great kit and quite a challenge as well. I may have to pick that up and put it in the stash. That could end up making a good winter project. Thanks a lot Carsenault!

Although the DML AIM is a nice kit......without a doubt! And worth buying....By all means...

I wouldn't built it as my first tank! Way over engineered for a new-bee.

The Tamiya M1A2 OIF is a much "tamer" beast to handle! I can guaranty your satisfaction! Being a Tamiya
Kit first of all.... And not over complicated.... A nice Ice breaker...

Either kits are good... But leaps n bounds differences in its engineering the DML isn't for the fainth of heart. Good for a second or third AFV....

What ever you decide is totally up to you! Either way we will be behind you....

Best of luck with your project!

Norm.

schweinhund227 said:
Although the DML AIM is a nice kit......without a doubt! And worth buying....By all means...

I wouldn't built it as my first tank! Way over engineered for a new-bee.

The Tamiya M1A2 OIF is a much "tamer" beast to handle! I can guaranty your satisfaction! Being a Tamiya
Kit first of all.... And not over complicated.... A nice Ice breaker...

Either kits are good... But leaps n bounds differences in its engineering the DML isn't for the fainth of heart. Good for a second or third AFV....

What ever you decide is totally up to you! Either way we will be behind you....

Best of luck with your project!

Norm.
Thanks for your input. Yeah I see now looking at it that it has over 700 pieces :eek:. I think I will still pick it up now but just throw it in the stash for a later date. I like the challenge it presents but maybe thats a bit too much for the first tank build. I am going to look into the tamiya kit. They make such great Aircraft models I probably cant go wrong with them. Thanks again for the advice.

you go with the DML M1-A1 AIM or M1-A2 without a doubt they both fit nicely. you just need to buy some extra stowage for an added look or scratchbuilt some. you can also look at the contest final entries... built by Norm and I, both DML Abrams

Eastrock said:
you go with the DML M1-A1 AIM or M1-A2 without a doubt they both fit nicely. you just need to buy some extra stowage for an added look or scratchbuilt some. you can also look at the contest final entries... built by Norm and I, both DML Abrams

Sorry Chas! But mine is a Tamiya OIF M1A2. Which I converted to "SEP Tusk2" variant. Just to set the record! LOL.

schweinhund227 said:
No problem buddy!

I have the DML SEP kit and it's nuts..... Gorgeous tank but too many parts.... LOL. Even for an old dog like me!

This is what I am talking about

http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/35269m1a2/index.htm

If you like the experience..... Then, a Dragon kit will challenge you and harden your skin! Welcome to AFV land! You can't go wrong with Tamiya

Norm.
Yeah I have to say that the Tamiya kit is a little less intimadating for my first attempt at a tank. Thanks for the link, and now that I've looked that kit up I think that I saw it at our Hobby Lobby a couple weeks ago so maybe I will have to take another trip over there. Thanks again for your help and the link.

Aaron

Eastrock said:
Wow, those are both great builds. I love the look of those tanks. I have no idea why I've put off building one of these for so long but I am definitely getting one of these. Thanks

schweinhund227 said:
Eastrock said:

Sorry Chas! But mine is a Tamiya OIF M1A2. Which I converted to "SEP Tusk2" variant. Just to set the record! LOL.

My apologies for the mix up since you had a wide range of kits.... don't know which is which ^^ lol

The best Abrams kits on the market are the Dragon M1A1 AIM, and the M1A2 SEP...hands down, best Abrams kits out there.

However tipping the scales at 760 and 730 parts respectively, not for the faint of heart, and not something I would recommend for a first time armor builder.

As others have said, the Tamiya kit will pretty much fall together. I am told the Academy kit isn't too bad either.

Elm City Hobbies said:
The best Abrams kits on the market are the Dragon M1A1 AIM, and the M1A2 SEP...hands down, best Abrams kits out there.

However tipping the scales at 760 and 730 parts respectively, not for the faint of heart, and not something I would recommend for a first time armor builder.

As others have said, the Tamiya kit will pretty much fall together. I am told the Academy kit isn't too bad either.
Thanks, I have looked at the Dragon kits and I am going to pick one up at some point just for the challenge but I think I am going with the Tamiya for now, or maybe both and just throw the Dragon in the stash.

i think Tamiya are a Good starting point for any armor modeler because you cant go wrong, at least it shouldnt ;D ive only started using dragon kits my self only because they went around when i was modeling before and the details just blow some of teh tamia kits away. and my dragon stach is getting bigger. all i need now is to start on them ;D

yes tamiya is a good starting point, actually I started with an Academy kit M18 Hellcat before jumping in the DML Abrams. You can start out with less complicated tanks if you are first time armor modeler Like
Tamiya T-55 on of the best in the market.

Latest posts

Back