Luke's Landspeeder. And his true introduction.

Solander

Hi, folks!

Sorry, that I haven't been active here on SMA lately. With all the preparations to my soon marriage (which is next Saturday already) and the move (which will happen just after the marriage as well, but the flat is not even completely ready yet, so movement of all the stuff will take some additional time, and I would be ready to share with you, guys, my new hobby-room in the proper forum topic only later, most probably in September)there was very little amount of free time.
Still, I manage to look through all the new topics and posts here at SMA, lots and lots of very cool stuff as always! Please, excuse me for the lack of comments from my sight, guys. Again, just very busy times lately.
I really hope, that with the beginning of autumn I would be ready to steadily devote more and more time to all of the aspects of scale modeling again and reach full capacity by the winter, to be in my best shape for the next BSC ;)

Anyway, being able to get 20-30 minutes each evening to sit at the workbench, I've decided to start a new project, which would fit the circumstances, and will be fast, easy, relaxing and most important fun.

It is.... drums...

Luke Skywalker's Landspeeder by Revell.

A very nice little model. Well, actually not so little - it is something between 1/20 and 1/24.
As all the recent SW models by Revell (actually, the only exception was the Venator) it is prepainted and snap together. The details are nothing to be mentioned, the figures coming with the kit are awful, but I still really enjoy this kit, as the basic shape is all you need to make a candy out of this subject, and it is exactly what you get for a pretty fair price. Besides, it is the only version of this iconic vehicle (at least iconic for me, as having seen the New Hope for the first time I was really fascinated with this hover-car besides everything else). There was also a resin garage kit, but it was too small for my taste (1/48 or even 1/72, don't remember exactly, but that is tiny).

I would also like to take on opportunity to make a small friendly advertisement and once again say a thank you for this kit to Scott from Elm City Hobbies, whom I've purchased this kit from. The service, shipping preparation and all the procedures were a top notch, and everything went so smoothly as if it was my local hobby shop and we haven't been separated by an ocean. Guess, now it is only up to me left to make this model so that Scott could proudly say "Yeah, I've sold it to this guy. It was some plastic in a box back then.." ;D

Now, my plans for this project are the following (it can never be simple, right? :)):

- First of all, I want to make it seem to hover. I think that an as maximum as possible imitation of hovering vehicles to hover gives them 100 additional points of coolness always, so this is a must do for me. And to imitate hovering, I want to go the way of GentleGiant company and some scale modeling guys, including famous scout-bike addict Norm, with a speeder-bike seeming to hover being held by a trooper leaning onto it. For this landspeeder the seemingly much lighter object that would never hold it in real life, making the hovering effect believable would be the fueling hose... 8)

-Second, I would of course go my usual way, and make this kit as close to the studio model as it is possible for me, up to the point when the fun is lost.

- And finally. This would be a dio. And the moment I would like to depict, is one of the most well known cutscenes from the original trilogy of Star Wars, the cutscene, that has become, if I'm not mistaken, the first known about. The first version of Luke introduction to the viewer, showing him repairing a vaporator and suddenly seeing the battle in the space above Tatooine - between the Blockade Runner and the Avenger.
Guess, it is no need for me to speak here to much - beter enjoy it yourself, if you haven't seen it yet ;)

Star Wars Deleted Scene - Tatooine - Luke with Treadwell Droid.

There is a better version in the means of quality from blu ray edition, sorry, didn't manage to find it on YouTube.

Well, enough talking, I guess, let's turn the look to the workbench (sorry, it is an incredible mess - can't make myself clean it knowing that I'll be moving in about 7 days)
The first correction I've done with the kit was the shape of the side pylons.
Here how they look on the studio model

But on the kit the shape was completely different, had to change that.

Lots and lots of sanding, but the result is worth that

Then a more obvious correction - the main grill. It is two-parts, and they really need a complete redo, as this part of the vehicle is very, so to say, visible and it stays in mind, so, I think, it really has to look good.

And finally I've turned to the bottom part of the hull. had to scratch-build the opened and upgraded by Luke himself maintanance hatch in front of the passenger's seat, and cut out the fueling hatch in front of it.

Here how it all looks from the underside

Also, I've made two round fueling hatches - the first is a cut-out piece, the is going to be depicted in an open position, and the second one can be attached to the main model's body via a magnet if I desire to present the model without the rest of the dio

Now, after all that I'm turning to the console. Here is the earliest stage

Hope you, guys, would enjoy this build. Can't make any promises about the next update and can't say how long it will take me to complete this project, although I consider it pretty easy.
But I'll try my best to stay in touch. See you soon ;)

Cool project solander,
dont let little things like getting married and moving house get in the way!
Seriously good luck with the wedding and move and well see you back with your modelling family soon.

Awesome project! I have that kit in my to do pile as well. I'm doing it with my GF as an "us" activity". So I'll prob just let her put it together as is! Looking forward to your build!

This is going to be fun to watch as you progress. Congrats on the wedding and have fun. Marriage is a great thing.

Great idea for a dio Sol! So glad they left that scene out. Too much coincidence Luke would happen to see the space battle, though it's still superior to every scene of the prequels! Sorry, couldn't resist a dig at the prequels! ;D

Looking forward to this one mate.

Oh, and good luck with the move and congrats on your upcoming marriage. All the best to you both. :)

Nice little build Sol, only discovered this lost scene about a year ago, i just remember it as part of the radio show. ;D

Many congratulation and lots of good luck with the wedding, i wish you all the best for the future.

Hopefully we will see you back soon at SMA

Take care

Gag

Amazing what you can do with a snap kit... the idea for the dio sounds cool.

SOLANDER ,

Glad to see ya back ! Congrats on the impending Marriage !

Rock this Brotha' ! I've seen this kit in My LHS & have My Eye on it ! Lookin forward to seein this come together !

\m/

Ha Sol you make me lol (poet!!? :p)
'-Second, I would of course go my usual way, and make this kit as close to the studio model as it is possible for me, up to the point when the fun is lost.'

And where's my invite?! Only joking mate congratulations. Great start on the kit, I know this will be another belter! ;D

that looks awesome !! can't wait to see the end result, how i whish i had that talent ;D
Congrats on the marriage and good luck with everything !!

Lookng Good Sol!!! Love The Improvements You Have Made To Make It More Accurate!!!

Looking forward to seeing how this progresses, Solander.
And thanks for the blast from the past with that old footage

I was thinking of getting this kit, I was put off by some reviews about the figures that came with it, but the modifications that you're doing has got me thinking again.
Looking forward to seeing this kit hover

You're doing great so far

J

Since the XP-38 came out these just aren't in demand.

Still, I'm looking forward to how this comes together.

Ziz said:
YOULI said:
You're doing well !

A friend made some modification too and his topic his here...

http://www.artmoviefan.net/t4615-landspeeder-revell?highlight=landspeeder

It's a french discussion forum, sorry. But I think the pictures talk for itself... I hope... :)

The pictures only "talk" if you speak French. The security settings want you to register to see the pictures.

Well sorry to hear about that. I was not aware of that kind of settings.
Well, since I can't copy the images URL, Solander, if you're OK with that, try to register to the Art Movie Fan discussion forum. The documents posted in the topic are very useful. :)

Latest posts

Back