Looking for info on 1970's US Army Commo rig's

athabascamaverick

Good morning, my name's Tom. I was in the US Army in Germany in the early 1970's. I had a commo rig (radio teletype) that dropped on the back of a deuce-and-a-half. I'd like to try to build what I drove but I'm having trouble with reference photo's. I have an AFV Club M35 2 1/2 and am pretty sure I can scratch-build the box for the commo rig if I can find some photo's (it is just a box). Anyone have any pics or ideas where to find some (google ain't helping).

Thanks, I did find some small pics of a generic hard-box for a 2 1/2 - I think the site might be stale - I can't expand any of the pics.

Good morning, my name's Tom. I was in the US Army in Germany in the early 1970's. I had a commo rig (radio teletype) that dropped on the back of a deuce-and-a-half. I'd like to try to build what I drove but I'm having trouble with reference photo's. I have an AFV Club M35 2 1/2 and am pretty sure I can scratch-build the box for the commo rig if I can find some photo's (it is just a box). Anyone have any pics or ideas where to find some (google ain't helping).
Hi and welcome Tom.
Pantherman

Hello and welcome!!!!!!
Lots of good advice here and all are willing to help, dig deep into old posts for new ideas.
Have you tried any MILSURP sites?

Maybe helps?

Attachments

• th-2736543622.jpg
    th-2736543622.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 1
  • th-815043516.jpg
    th-815043516.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 1
  • th-626988518.jpg
    th-626988518.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 1
I have not. There was enough sensitive stuff in the commo rig that the Army more-than-likely just crushed them when they reached their useful life.

Cool - the 3rd I think is closest. The top of mine was more square, but the cables holding it to the truck were like that. We didn't have any windows in ours (secret stuff) but there were openings like in the front for fans to cool the box. I pulled a trailer too, but mine didn't have a top and had 2 gas generators to power my rig. Where'd you find them?

You're very welcome!

Where'd you find them?

The old "Googs".

Try "AN/GRC-26", "US Army Radios", "US Army Radio Teletype Shelters" "Rattrig", "Rat Rig", Ratt Rig", "Ratt Rigg" that type of thing. Same hints you gave. I didn't know a thing about them and found page after page on Google, so I don't know?

Try all those things and if you still can't, just hollar. I'll find you tons like #3. You should be able to too. "Right click" and "Save Image As".

Rob.

Last edited:
Excellent advice. I've been searching for things like "US Army Commo Van", etc. Thinking a little more broadly helped a lot - Thanks much. I even found pictures of the old Kleinschmidt teletypes we used. You even had to adjust their speed with a tuning fork.

Latest posts

Back