Looking for a acrylic primer

Airwolf

Does anyone know if you can buy a acrylic primer in a spray can? If not, what kind of primers are there for acrylic paint

I've used Model Master's and Testors basic enamel primer. On one build, I've even used Krylon's black primer. I've only seen one acrylic primer, in a bottle and I've been told it wasn't the ebst. Ic ould be wrong, some people on here with more expereince can definitely add to this.

ulvdemon said:
I've used Model Master's and Testors basic enamel primer. On one build, I've even used Krylon's black primer. I've only seen one acrylic primer, in a bottle and I've been told it wasn't the ebst. Ic ould be wrong, some people on here with more expereince can definitely add to this.

I always use Krylon primer, works for me :)

there is this tho: http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/en_US/primers/family/22 used it successfully before
GL

I absolutely swear by this stuff. It's cheap. It takes very little to get a good coating and it creates very strong bond for acrylic paint. You can also get it just about anywhere.

Imgp9933.jpg

Best one on the market as of last week is AK primer. It beats Vallejo by a long way. Only downside at the moment is you can only get it in 60ml bottles. But with a bit of luck they will bring a bigger one out soon.

the New AK Primers are sweet i prefer them to Vallejo as much as it hurts me to say this

spud said:
the New AK Primers are sweet i prefer them to Vallejo as much as it hurts me to say this

Funny, I have tried the AK Grey and find it is pretty much the same as the Vallejo primer.

no its not. the Vallejo one seems to leave a sheen and the AK one doesn't.

ive also had the Vallejo grey go down like i was spraying onto oil a real pain in the ass Ive not yet experienced that with the ak grey yet

there is also noting wrong with the Vallejo primers as ive used them for a few years now. but i do like the new AK ones

If you are spraying Vallejo and it is wicking away from areas of your kit it is because there is still mold release residue on your kit. No true acrylic paint will be able to paint over areas like that, which it is why they advise to wash all of your parts.

Been there done that as well, like I said, have tried both, and don't see that one is any better than the other.

Elm City Hobbies said:
If you are spraying Vallejo and it is wicking away from areas of your kit it is because there is still mold release residue on your kit. No true acrylic paint will be able to paint over areas like that, which it is why they advise to wash all of your parts.

Been there done that as well, like I said, have tried both, and don't see that one is any better than the other.

The big area that makes AK better is. After 5 mins its touch dry. And with AK you can sand it after an hour. To sand Vallejo you have to wait 48 hours. That for the most part leaves Vallejo in the shade. Buts its like with anything with modelling its each to there own. Like i said before the big problem with AK primer is you can only get it in 60ml bottles. But hope they do a bigger one soon.

lol yep to each there is right, Vallejo is good no doubting that. i havent tried sanding it yet so i cant comment on that.

Also larger bottles would be nice.

Scott this only ever happened with the gray. mabe you are right but i wash my sprues before i build and i clean them again before primer to remove greasy finger marks.

Latest posts

Back