Klingon D-7 Cruiser AMT/ERTL from 1991

If you have access to a decent ink-jet printer (or a better one), you could always make your own decals. You just need some transparent decal paper and some liquid decal film, like Microscale make.

I could make the art for you if you give me some measurements.

Igard said:
If you have access to a decent ink-jet printer (or a better one), you could always make your own decals. You just need some transparent decal paper and some liquid decal film, like Microscale make.

I could make the art for you if you give me some measurements.
Ya know,
I have a package of the Testors Decal paper (don't know how well that works) and the spray that goes with it.
I could scan the decal sheet from the Polar Lights 1/1000 D-7 and just scale them up.
The problem is, I don't have access to a printer. My wife's Mac lap top can access it. I am on an Microsoft type comp.
When I have had her print out stuff for me before, the image gets expanded or reduced. Even though I send the files to her, to size. :/

Yeah, Microsoft has terrible printing options. After all these years, you'd think they'd get it right. You need to go into the printer properties and select scaled printing then set it to 1/1 or 100% to get it to print to the right scale. Make sure you've not got 'fit to page' checked as well. Then you've got the problem of centreing the image on the page. Messy stuff, but you can get it in the end.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't read your post properly. I'm not sure about printing from Mac, haven't done it since my school days (a long time ago). I'd imagine they must have a print to scale option also.

Also, I make sure to work in mm when drawing up my decal art in GIMP. Photoshop is much the same.

Always do a practice print first on plain paper.

You could always ask a friend, or a neighbour even. Depends if it's worth the hassle or not.

A word to the wise (coming from someone who learned the hard way) - decalling over a non-gloss surface never, never, never, never gives good results. Sometimes you can cheat the gloss coat if the final colour coat is very glossy but by-and-large, a gloss coat used to lay the decal and then seal it looks best.

Dear Professor,

that is looking, as the local kids are saying "beast"! the color scheme looks great. I am still plugging away on a few mech kits and minifigs. i will be getting the pictures issue solved shortly (may have to shoot them with the phone and download that way). anyhoo, keep it up and hope to be building kits with you soon..

Mr ito

Well everybody!!!!
I believe I am done with the Klingon D-7 Battle Cruiser!!!!
I have just finished the windows. I used fluorescent Yellow, and black pen.
All of the windows are on the neck/head.
I snapped some pix, and these are the best.
The yellow is kind of hard to paint with because on that light grey it was kind of hard to see, BUT under the U.V. light, it looks good.
What do you all think?
Oh yeah, the decals look much better now.

Glow5.jpg

Glow6.jpg

Glow8.jpg

Glow9.jpg

Glow10.jpg

Thanx Fumble,
Now I can weather/discolor/age the REPUBLIC, finish another special project, and then maybe start me a Millennium Falcon!!!!!
8)
;D

Igard, nah...
not a secret, just a surprise for the little woman.
Last weekend I bought a "Zingers VW".
And I thought I'd just do it up real quick as a surprise for her, but as Grendels can confirm for me. Kit's that you think will be a nice, quick, easy build don't always turn out that way. ;D
I was going to do it in a translucent purple over silver met. I may have rushed it a little. Didn't like the way that looked, so then I sprayed Lt. Met. Blue over that, and I think it was a little too cold outside, and maybe I sprayed too much at once. :/ the Paint "Orange peeled" on me. :-\
THEN a day or two later, I sprayed it with Met. Gold, and didn't rush it, and did it in a couple coats. Turned out good. THEN I sprayed Translucent Orange over that! And it looked good!
THEN the next day, I sprayed translucent yellow over that, and it looks kewl!
In the mean time, while various stages of paint was drying, I assembled the engine!
It's a pretty simple little kit, and kinda neat. Will be kewl to see it all together.
;)

I have that kit, and I have thought of building it up on a weekend many many times.

And yes, sometimes kits you think will be simple usually are not. I think I am an expert at finding them....

Hope the lady likes it Mike. Here I was being selfish thinking it was a surprise for us. ::)

These fluorescent windows You've painted on your last models all look pretty sweet, Mike. Should try that paints once to.
And nice job on this one overall! :)

I have a Revell D-7 as my next build. And trust me, after doing my Kronos 1......

Weathering on Klingon ships is the most fun I have had so far ;D

Awesome job! Those windows turned out cool! Can't wait to see your build of the Revelle kit.

Latest posts

Back