Klingon D-7 Cruiser AMT/ERTL from 1991

ModelMakerMike

"It's Slobberin' time""
Okay, this was re-released in 1991 and the box says "Original Edition". I am not sure what they mean by that.
I recall the one from the 70's had chrome parts, and the translucent green along the edge of the flanges on the "head" were different. These are more Grill-like, and I seem to remember them being more like stair steps. Anyway, this was a relatively quick build just over a day or two. I did the whole sub-assembly/spray paint thing. Since I don't have an air compressor for my airbrush I rely on rattle cans. I had to go to a haobby store about 50 miles away because we no longer have any around here. :mad:
to get the Testor's SAC Bomber green. Which looked like a grey-green on the can, but came out far more dark olive on the kit. I think I can get away with it because of all the various factions of the Klingon Empire.
KLINGOND-74.jpg

I used two shades of Grey; Krylon "Classic Grey" the darker one used on the topside of the main hull and the head flange. And "Pewter Grey" the lighter one used on the neck and details on the topside of the flange (bridge, etc.)
KLINGOND-71.jpg

The kit in the '70s was also released with a sprue of chromed parts. I wanted to emulate that, so I sprayed that sprue with some Krylon chrome. Not the same, but true chrome would have been too much. :)
KLINGOND-73.jpg

KLINGOND-72.jpg

KLINGOND-79.jpg

KLINGOND-75.jpg

Here's a good shot of the underside of the ship. As you can see, the green is maybe too intense. It calls for a Grey-green, but like I said....it could be from a different faction. :) I also had thought of making this more of a Romulan version, and I thought about making some 3-d details with sheet styrene to fashion a wing-like design for underneath. Maybe on the next one!
KLINGOND-76.jpg

I tried to maintain the translucent green, but now I think I will just paint over it. I wanted to do a straight from the box build for nostalgia sake. Next time I will fill in those Holes (windows). :)
KLINGOND-77.jpg

The grill on the front of the Impulse pod, I had sprayed with chrome, but when I glued it the paint started get all mucky, so, I took some foil from Easter candy, and wrapped it over the part, and glued it in using pieces of sprue to hold it in place.
KLINGOND-78.jpg

SO...all that's left is to detail, discolor, and weather, and decal, and she'll be done! Much easier than the 18" Enterprise kit. :D

Wow! What a beautiful ship. The most successful design in Trek history, of course.

Great job. Like you say, there are many Klingon houses, so this may explain the different colour. This particular house may be more sympathetic towards Romulans judging by this colour. ;)

The chrome parts look particularly sharp.

Looking really good so far.

nice colour choice so far bro! I think after you get to weathering + decaling this thing it will really come together.

Looking forward to the finished piece! ;D

Thanx guys, yes I have always loved this ship design.
It just screams "PREDATOR".

Pure malevolence. That neck reaching out far in front of the rest of the ship, and the "wings" with the engines
bent down, almost in a Grasping position.
Ready to take any un-wary Federation, or Romulan ship. :)

Well, everybody!
I just took some new pix of my Klingon D-7 Battle Cruiser!!!
I have done some "aging", and "discoloring" work with Abteilung Oils, several weeks ago. Now I need to apply the very few decals, and do some more paint work.
I just wanted to do an update because everyone else is cruising along on their models. It helps that I have my work space cleared now. :)

Bridgeunderside.jpg

Bridgetopside2.jpg

Bridgetopside3.jpg

Bridgetopside.jpg

Bridgeside.jpg

StarboardNacelle.jpg

PrimaryHullunderside.jpg

PrimaryHullTopside3.jpg

PrimaryHullTopside2.jpg

PrimaryHullTopside.jpg

MainHull.jpg

Looking good. Weathering should not be over the top, but subtle. That is what you have done here!

Thanx Grendels,
Yeah Star trek ships always looked a lot cleaner than Star Wars. :)
But I think most of that was due to the filming process of the day.
I was thinking I may have gone a little overboard with the underside of the primary hull, but after all, they Are Klingons. ;)
I wanted to get my feet wet with this new method, on the D-7 before I try it on the Republic. The trick will be to have it be subtle, and aged enough to make it look less "toy" like. :)

The weathering is perfect!!!

She's gonna look great after the decals are applied. Then she'll look proper Klingon. Qa'pla!!!

Well Guys,
got some stuff done today. I applied the decals to the D-7....But that's no big deal because there were only 6.
:)
After I got the decals on, I applied some Walthers Solvaset, and as you can see in the pics., it didn't really nail them down as I thought it would. :(
Maybe the acrylic matte I sprayed it with affected the decal/solvaset...
Any help I could get would be great, as in advice, and stuff.
I applied all the decals to the "REPUBLIC", and did NOT put any solvaset on them.

Decal2.jpg

Decal1.jpg

Decal3.jpg

ModelMakerMike said:
Well, maybe I'll just spray some Clear matte over them, and the ship? ::)

Hey Mike, nice work. The decal issue.....first off, don't like the solvaset stuff, works sometimes, sometimes not. It's unpredictable, why? I have no idea.

The method that seems to work well is a semi gloss or gloss coat first, decals on, let dry 24 hours (important), then flat coat it, or whatever you wanted as a finish. In the case of the Klingon ship, flat was it. However, whenever I flat seal a model, there is always a problem of "silvering" on the decals, something like what you have going on now. Other than armor, I usually stick with semi-gloss, this ensures the decals will look right. Semi-gloss has a bit of a sheen, but not much, and in a model with a lot of decals, it's my choice.

Your problem is evident, the decals are old as the kit, say 15 years or so, they are shot. There is little to no adhesive quality to them, they have dried up.

I won't use old decals in a kit that is over 5 years old, this always happens. There are plenty of after-market decals out there, JT graphics does them, J Bot decals, and many others. Model master makes a decent decal solution, works well, they have a simple surface and complex surface type. There are a few others, TSDS has a new brand, but I haven't tried it yet.

You can try resealing the ones you have on there, but odds are they will continue to give you problems, puckering up is next. And at that point, you have a mess on your hands. Best take them off now, and get some new ones, to avoid ruining your paint work.

Just my thoughts on this, trying to help out.

Good luck Dude! 8)

Great looking build of a cool kit Mike! You are right about the D-7, pure predator. I tend to agree with mercs about the decals being too old. Did you lay down a glosscoat of some sort to put them onto?? That is key. I use solvaset once they are positioned and have had no issues. Most decals seem to wrinkle up real bad when the sol hits them but once they totally dry out they are smooth and tight as a mouses ear! You could try flooding the decals on the D-7 with future. This might help them...Maybe. She looks good though Bro!! Paintwork and weathering look awesome.

Try appyling a little bit of Future to a decal in an unobtrusive area. It might seal the decal down and eliminate the silvering. If it works, I would airbrush future over the whole model and then re-finish with clear matte.

Thanx for the tips guys. :)
-Mercs, I had wondered if the decals were too old... I think maybe in this case it's a combination of factors.
Age of decals, Matte coat down before decals, and solvaset. :)
I was in such a hurry to try out my new method for Aging/discoloring/weathering, that I totally spaced putting on the decals first.
I was thinking about it at work today, and I'll try maybe some more solvaset....maybe, if the decals just don't work, I might hand-paint the markings......Maybe. ;D

Latest posts

Back