Klingon BoP

Got to love that "army men green" plastic. :p
The "back lean" may also be from the perspective of the shot they used on the box.
Guns are looking good.

Should be an interesting build to follow

This is one of my favorite st models ever. i built the old amt version years ago and it still proudly hangs from my ceiling menacing the federation. your guns are amazing. got some great tips. i have an old amt b wing i am planning on building and i need to replace the guns. one question:

how long does it takes you to complete a project like the romulan bird of prey?

Those guns are excellent. You take this modeling malarkey to a whole new level for me.

Will be watching this one, after I have watched the movie again though.

Thanks for sharing.

Quaralane said:
Got to love that "army men green" plastic. :p
The "back lean" may also be from the perspective of the shot they used on the box.
Guns are looking good.

Should be an interesting build to follow

The lean shouldn't be a big problem. I first watched Star Trek IV and the ship is a mat painting and horizontal with the ground. in II it does lean back slightly. The big problem is the landing gear doors. It's hard to tell, but the kit ones appear completely wrong.

noc5659 said:
This is one of my favorite st models ever. i built the old amt version years ago and it still proudly hangs from my ceiling menacing the federation. your guns are amazing. got some great tips. i have an old amt b wing i am planning on building and i need to replace the guns. one question:

how long does it takes you to complete a project like the romulan bird of prey?

That one was about a month. This one is starting off really slow due to the mods and the lighting is more difficult to plan out.

Good Idea Ake,

I built this kit many moons with lights as well for a Starshipmodeler Review. I used filament bulbs, however in-hind sight the latest bright LED's would be better.

with regards to the elliptical windows, you could backlight them with LED's and then fill the windows in with Micro Krystal Klear.

I carved out all the windows that I wanted lite or didn't paint the inside black and silver to prevent light bleed.

Best of luck with the build

Cool lookin' Stuff ! That's a Mean lookin Ship !! Th landed position reminds me of the Karate Kid !

SoooWeet ! Lookin forward to checking in on this one !

Did you get the window problem sorted out? Also for light dispersal with LED's take a look at this photo:

led-test-2.jpg
led-test-3.jpg

I achieved this by sanding the LED down so that it does not focus the light in one spot. That should help reduce hot spots with your LED's.

Keep plugging at it, AKE. Things will start to flow eventually. They have to.
These are just bumps in the road

Hi, AKE.
First of all, let me wish You a good luck in getting through the "oh_i_hate_this_damn_piece_of_plastic" stage, as the subject You've chosen and Your ideas of how to realize it are really great, so don't give up! ;)
Now what I'd like to suggest You in making those windows is a glue-gun. It is commonly used for work with electronics and looks like a handle with a heating end, in which a stick of silicon is provided. The guns end melts silicon, so it can be applied on different circuit components, holding them tight in place, as the silicon becomes solid in about 5-10 seconds. The good thing, is that if You apply the silicon on the window, it is going to full it through, coming on the outer side. There it can be cut there off easily, leaving a smooth mat surface that would look like glass in such scale. Plus those silicon is a great lite disperser - with it You would not have to worry about the focused light, that LED's provide. All the BoP windows can be covered with such device in a matter of 20 minutes (+ around 2 to let the gun heat up). Mine glue gun costed me about 10$ + 3 for each silicon stick.

By the way, how did You achieve those rectangular windows? By drilling several tiny holes and then cutting them with a knife into a big rectangular single one, or there is some trick with that?

Windows are done. I filled them from the front side and then sanded them down.

Wow. I've been sanding leds to fog them up. Never thought one could remove that much material and they would still work.

Is that electronic glue gun the same as a regular hot glue gun? I do have my "Little Princess" glue gun I use quite often!

Yes. Drill lots of holes and then connect them with a knife. Clean up was done with tiny strips of sandpaper.

Fogging LED's doesn't work as well as sanding down like this. You can remove quite a bit of material and they will still work. Just make sure you leave some plastic covering the little metal bits and the thing will still light.

The plastic around the LED is really just to improve how long they last and to focus the light. It acts as a lens in that respect. We don't want the light focused so remove the plastic.

The reason I angled that LED so much was to try and force the light to spread out. As you can see in the photo it works.

Guess even if there are some small distinguishes between different types they are still pretty much of the same. Priceless tool - saved me hundreds of times :)

Latest posts

Back