Kitech 1/48 scale 'AIRWOLF"

Quaralane

Next up on the build stack is what should have been a fairly quick, relatively trouble-free build.
The Kitech repop of the old AMT "Airwolf" helicopter
kitech-airwolf-00.jpg

Quick look at the sprues shows that about the only real change from the AMT kit as far as parts go was the addition of pilots.
kitech-airwolf-01.jpg
kitech-airwolf-02.jpg
kitech-airwolf-03.jpg

Now, before I go too far, I will warn anyone building this kit to watch out for some problems in the instructions.
They show the nose fairing going on the roof.
They show the boost thrusters being put INSIDE the INTAKES
They flip the guns upside down.

Now, on to the work itself.
Given that the kit comes with the standard interior for a Bell 222, I chopped out the back wall behind the cockpit to allow for viewing the guy in the back.
I didn't build a rear console because it wouldn't be visible through the windows.
kitech-airwolf-04.jpg
Now, while I left the interior the bare plastic, I painted the helmets, boots, and gloves a very dark grey, then gave both figures a black wash.
For "Dom," I did opt to paint in his face with a flesh tone before the black wash.
Sadly, he won't be all that visible back there
kitech-airwolf-05.jpg
kitech-airwolf-06.jpg

Getting the side pods to fit the main body took a LOT of clamping to get rid of the worst of the seams
kitech-airwolf-07.jpg
kitech-airwolf-08.jpg

But, it seemed to work out fairly well
kitech-airwolf-09.jpg
kitech-airwolf-10.jpg

Once the body was together, I tacked the outer doors of the wing pods in place and masked off the cockpit windows.
Then I primered the body in grey before giving the bottom a coat of white.
Once the white had cured, I gave it a coat of semi-gloss to seal it before masking it off with some silly putty.
The upper body was given a coat of black, then sprayed over with Testors Graphite Dust Lacquer.
The tips of the probes, as well as the thrusters, were painted over in Vallejo gunmetal.
With this done, I gave the body two coats of semi-gloss for a brighter finish

For the rotors, I first painted them in silver.
The blades were painted in white, and then given their red striping.
After giving the silver parts a blask wash, both rotors were sealed with a flat clear coat.

The guns and missile rack were painted with Vallejo gunmetal, then given a black wash.
Like the rotors, they were given a flat clear coat as a sealer.

Finished build pics
kitech-airwolf-11.jpg
kitech-airwolf-12.jpg

kitech-airwolf-13.jpg

kitech-airwolf-14.jpg
kitech-airwolf-15.jpg

kitech-airwolf-16.jpg
kitech-airwolf-17.jpg
kitech-airwolf-18.jpg

Youtube link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avHtk67ZByI

Are you sure this is a repop of the AMT kit? And not a repop of the Hobby Craft Bell 222 kit?

I had both, and you are right, the AMT Airwolf kit didn't come with pilots, but I remember well that the Hobby Craft Bell 222 kit did. As well the 222 kit came with the missile launchers for Airwolf, but no guns, boosters, etc, that would make up Airwolf.

As well, the AMT Airwolf kit, didn't have a civilian interior (but the Bell 222 kit did), it actually had a cockpit that would be seen in Airwolf (or a reasonably close facsimile).

I am sure the Hobby Craft kit was a repop of another kit, but with Kitech and Hobby Craft kits both being manufactured in South Korea (where as at the time the AMT kit was out, would have been manufactured in the US), as well, I can't see (or even how they would do it), how Kitech could take the AMT Airwolf molds and then add pilots to the existing mold. As well the glass that comes with it is for the civi version of the 222, and I know the AMT Airwolf only had the front screen, door glass and nose glass.

I love this chopper it is so cool I did this one a few years ago the main issue I ran into was the pilot seat was to wide at the bottom so the fuselage halves wouldn't fit together I had to remove part of the seat side to get it to work, Other then that it was a fun one to build.

Cracking build!!

Reading through this whilst I'm supposed to be "working"...but also can't help humming the Airwolf theme tune to myself as well!!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Looks good.

Got the same kit laying around somewhere. Still haven't worked up the energy to build it though. I've heard of all the problems the kit has, so it's not really going to be out-of-the-box...

I think I still have my original airwolf in a "busted up model" box somewhere, no surprise as I build it 30 years ago or so, If I find my old wreck I'll post up some comparison images. I may have to get this kit just for nostalgia

Elm City Hobbies said:
Are you sure this is a repop of the AMT kit? And not a repop of the Hobby Craft Bell 222 kit?

I had both, and you are right, the AMT Airwolf kit didn't come with pilots, but I remember well that the Hobby Craft Bell 222 kit did. As well the 222 kit came with the missile launchers for Airwolf, but no guns, boosters, etc, that would make up Airwolf.

As well, the AMT Airwolf kit, didn't have a civilian interior (but the Bell 222 kit did), it actually had a cockpit that would be seen in Airwolf (or a reasonably close facsimile).

I am sure the Hobby Craft kit was a repop of another kit, but with Kitech and Hobby Craft kits both being manufactured in South Korea (where as at the time the AMT kit was out, would have been manufactured in the US), as well, I can't see (or even how they would do it), how Kitech could take the AMT Airwolf molds and then add pilots to the existing mold. As well the glass that comes with it is for the civi version of the 222, and I know the AMT Airwolf only had the front screen, door glass and nose glass.
I distinctly remember having to make these same mods to the interior 20+ years ago when I built my first Airwolf, Scott.
Fairly certain it wasn't a Hobby Boss kit way back then, but it might have been, considering where I bought the kit.
It may well be that Kitech used a combo of the two to make their version as well.

To the rest of you, I want to thank you for your comments.
I'm happy with how she turned out, considering what I started with

Sweet! I remember building the AMT several decades back. Brings back memories. Loved every episode of the show, except that season where Stringfellow and Dom were written off.

Nice build!

Quaralane said:
Elm City Hobbies said:

I distinctly remember having to make these same mods to the interior 20+ years ago when I built my first Airwolf, Scott.
Fairly certain it wasn't a Hobby Boss kit way back then, but it might have been, considering where I bought the kit.
It may well be that Kitech used a combo of the two to make their version as well.

To the rest of you, I want to thank you for your comments.
I'm happy with how she turned out, considering what I started with

Hobby Craft, might not have been a line available in the US, as they were also a model distributor here in Canada, but they had a line of kits as well that were manufactured in South Korea. Many CDN aircraft kits, some, including 1/72 and 1/48 Avro Arrows.

120905-10149.jpg

Built one of the AMT kits years ago, it met its demise at the fiery end of a M80 with as many dud firecrackers I could fit around the M80. Wasn't much left of it afterwards! LOL

Latest posts

Back