JAGUAR 1/8 MONOGRAM E TYPE GOODWOOD COUPE

jagmkx

I built 50% of this kit over 15 years ago. Eventually, the box was too large to ignore.
This is what I always wanted to do to my real E Type. This kits 'reputation' didn't disappoint: I see it as a vintage toy kit that always wanted to be a presentable model. For me, that required considerable effort and 're engineering' to get close to the goal. In addition to the GTO style body cues, I re profiled the nose, added RC Brembo Front Brakes, Minilte Wheels, Tire Valves, and Five Point Belts. I widened the tires by sectioning tires from two kits, then scratch built the Bonnet Inner Panels, Intake Manifold, Rear Suspension Brake Lines, Diff Cooler, Coil Springs, Triple Webers, Intake Trumpets, Spark Plug Wires, Aluminum Exhaust Headers, Brake Booster, Throttle Linkage, Bonnet Intakes, Optima Battery, added Resin Spark Plugs and Fluorescent styrene rods for headlight bulbs. As a 'Track Day' weekend racer, I deleted the bumpers, front turn signals, wipers, added a low pressure exhaust and cut pressure vents in the rear window. The paint is Tamiya TS60 Pearl Green with Mr. Hobby Clear. The only adhesive that worked reliably on this ancient plastic was E6000 along with many brass pins and magnets to add strength.Screen Shot 2021-12-13 at 9.23.34 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-13 at 9.23.26 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-13 at 9.23.26 AM.png
    784.1 KB · Views: 23
  • Screen Shot 2021-12-13 at 9.24.18 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-13 at 9.24.18 AM.png
    791.3 KB · Views: 25
  • Screen Shot 2021-12-13 at 9.24.45 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-13 at 9.24.45 AM.png
    675.1 KB · Views: 26
  • Screen Shot 2021-12-13 at 9.24.54 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-13 at 9.24.54 AM.png
    699.9 KB · Views: 25
  • Screen Shot 2021-12-13 at 9.25.00 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-13 at 9.25.00 AM.png
    570.8 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Real nice work. I know what you mean, mine is half finished and collecting dust in the garage

Thank you Duane. I started out with hair but by the time I finished it years later,
I didn't have enough to pull out. Yet there are some that take this kit to master levels, I suggest visiting Karsten Schmidt's work :

https://www.finemodelcars.info/
He was my somewhat daunting inspiration and build saving source for a new windshield. The idiocy of placing a rectangular cut out in the PRESSURE CENTER of the upper windshield (I guess to clear the rear view mirror on fitting?) means that you have right angles that are a positioned perfect genesis for stress fracturing??? Didn't they know how that worked out for the British Comet Jet???? I had finally finished the Jag...took some photos and turned back to my Mac desk and then heard behind me the sound that ice cubes make when dropped in a drink.....it was the windshield static cracking all by itself...AND I deliberately made a low stress fitting to the body..... :))
The only kit I've built that virtually required re engineering every fit. So I say it was designed as a toy more than a model... You must fit brass rod pins especially in the engine frame and frame to body points otherwise the weight of the opening hood will either break or separate that assembly in a short time. imho
There is no whining in model making....? Starring 2022:)

Happy Next Year

Attachments

• DSC00003.jpg
    DSC00003.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC05700.jpg
    DSC05700.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC08500.jpg
    DSC08500.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1632.jpg
    IMG_1632.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 15
This is some amazing work and fantastic detail. One would not even recognize it as that old-classic Monogram kit of by-gone-years... I've got two of their large Cord's and someday [yeah, someday], I'll maybe get brave and tackle... Thanks for sharing and giving me a 're-think', on those old kits. Appreciated -

Thank you for your comments. Didn't know they made a Cord kit? I think the original mold for the E was a Bandai motorized model? Might be another styrene myth? This kit was full of WTH many times: I test fit the quarter windows and they just fell flat thru the body like some magic trick? I had to improve the panel gaps which 'took some time'....:( The engine cradle to body fit is poor and hence weak. I used many of my brass pins to secure it. Getting the bonnet to sit flush to the cowl is very difficult, for me anyway? (doors as well) I used Neo magnets to draw it (and the doors) flush but could have used stronger ones..but too strong and you start risking 'pull away damage"? But if you need to reduce the strength on a round Neo, just put a dot(s) of cello tape on one side and then you can adjust the strength via physical interference.
Thanks Again

Just to be clear the metallic blue engine bay and the engine cradle shots are from my full scale Jaguar
restoration.

I realize how old this post is- but just wanted to say that's a beautiful build! I have a full scale E-Type and just finished both the DeAgostini and Agora 1:8 Jaguars and have a Monogram on the desk now. After seeing yours, I'm now going to make a race car build from the Monogram. I have a spare engine from a DeAgostini kit that I can detail up. Just got a resin printer and have no idea how to use it, but hoping to print some DCOE's if I can just source some online. The Dunlop alloys from the D-Type would be a great way to go and I think I can 3D print them or resin print them.
Congrats on a beautiful build.

Latest posts

Back