Italeri US water tank trailers

Big-John

This is just something that I have been playing around with. I have a couple of the Italeri water tank trailers on the bench that I work on from time to time. The purpose of this thread is 2 fold.

#1 is a test to compare different brands of Olive Drab paint and to compare the effects the weathering will have on the overall color.

#2 is to show the custom wheels I had made. The italeri kits have the wrong wheels and just don’t look right. I commissioned Charlie Pritchett to master a new wheel and Celticwerks to cast the wheels.

Trailer #1

The first picture shows a base coat of Model Masters enamel # 1711 Olive Drab.

WTtrailer-1_zps240250a4.jpg

Notice the comparison between the old wheel and new wheel.

WTtrailer-2_zps5105add9.jpg

Trailer #2

This trailer will be painted with Tamiya XF 62

WT-2trailer-1_zps899bf9c4.jpg

Nice work John ,Looking forward to more of this . Those wheels are impressive ! gonna really pop with some paint & muck :)

Chris.

Trailer #2 update.

I tried to do a little painting today, but with the rain we’ve had for the last week, my airbrush started spitting a little water. I did manage to get the primer on. I have a few small seams to touch up, then get some paint on after it dries up a bit.

WT-2trailer-2_zps3b964a77.jpg

awesome stuff John, the old wheel looks ok but the new one is class

Waiting for paint to cure on my Sherman, I paid some attention to the water tank trailers today.

For trailer #1 I mixed some paint and painted the tires. Mix is 2 drops black to 1 drop dark tire.

WTtrailer-3_zps9437f28f.jpg

I then base coated trailer #2 with Tamiya XF62.

WT-2trailer-3_zps901ec4fd.jpg

This is my first go with Tamiya Olive Drab and found it way to dark for my taste. I added some XF60 to it and gave it another coat.

WT-2trailer-4_zps23a5bc1e.jpg

While I was busy today with decal work, I decided to mark the trailers as well. The kit decals were very old and frail, they fell apart immediately and was unable to use them. I dug into my spare decal stash and came up with some markings that would work.

I just realized that I made up the same registration number on both trailers, LOL Oh well, they wont be used together, only in this paint comparison.

WTtrailer-4_zps9a4d63ae.jpg

Great little project. I'm no OD expert by any means but that drab looks good once you added some '60. Weathering will tone it down again. Great tip.

Hey Scott, thanks for stoping in. Thanks for the comments man! The dark trailer should lighten back up again after the flat coat gets applied. I can't wait to see what it's going to look like my self!

Lovely stuff as usual mate, I've only just started using OD on four or so kits and it really is a funny colour to work with, its too easy to end up with a dark green blob lol. I'm taking notes ;)

They're looking good. Bought me a set of the correct wheels fo mine also. Thanks! 8)

Trying my hand at weathering with pigments and pigment fixer.

All comments and critiques welcome.

WT-1trailer-1_zps2d54df03.jpg

WT-1trailer-2_zps0ea4d21a.jpg

it looks fantastic John. did you use a pigment fixer or Tamiya X20? i use the X20 and its perfect, you also get a lot more in the bottle for about the same price give or take

Yeah really nice. I'm still learning with pigments....well we're always learning but you know what I mean lol.

Looks good as is, but I kinda want to see some water drips-run somewhere on it. At least the tracks of something like that? ???

Latest posts

Back