Info and Q&A about the Gundam Group Build

The initial post does state September through December which is only four months.

Clearly I cannot count...even including the January extension. :) I'd better learn before scratch building hoses on the Hi-Zack...

Do you mean you go away to uni and dont have any place to model?

is it ok if i enter another kit? It is a custom i want to make. I have the kit snapped together, but no other work has been done to it. It will be modified to have additional weapons, armor and custom paint, that sorta thing. can this be entered as well?

Index of participants and projects

I actually have three planned. The 1/48th RX-78-2, a couple of SD Gundams, and the wife wants to build a Justice with my help.

Re: Index of participants and projects

hey john would it be cool if i enterd a second model? i have it snapped together but i want to customize it to add additional weapons and armor and that sort of stuff + custom paint

I still have to find one of these I want to build

Quaralane said:
I still have to find one of these I want to build

not sure what kind you want, but your local hobby store should carry some hg 1/100 kits which are cheaper than master grade 1/100's

Hmmmm, I'm eyeing off my sons stash, he has a 2 new kits sent from grandparents in Japan.

1/144 GNW-002 Throne Zwei ( whatever that all means ) &
1/100 RX-93 Matster Grade

I have been reading this thread, curiosity got the better of me so opened up the boxes to check them out. The Master grade kit is realy cool, has die cast parts and mesh tubing !

I've helped my son snap a few of these together in the past and have never thought of them as anything more than toys. Cant say I've ever seen a Gundam episode but I recogise the potential to make something realy cool for my son and try something different.

I'm thinking I might start on the smaller GNW-002 for this build. I think it would look realy cool in an olvie drab/camo scheme...... Or would it be easier to tackle the larger scale RX-93 ?

Any suggestions appreciated :)

Count me in...

I've got several kits started, never finished. Could be the motivation I lack.

rookie said:
Hmmmm, I'm eyeing off my sons stash, he has a 2 new kits sent from grandparents in Japan.

1/144 GNW-002 Throne Zwei ( whatever that all means ) &
1/100 RX-93 Matster Grade

I have been reading this thread, curiosity got the better of me so opened up the boxes to check them out. The Master grade kit is realy cool, has die cast parts and mesh tubing !

I've helped my son snap a few of these together in the past and have never thought of them as anything more than toys. Cant say I've ever seen a Gundam episode but I recogise the potential to make something realy cool for my son and try something different.

I'm thinking I might start on the smaller GNW-002 for this build. I think it would look realy cool in an olvie drab/camo scheme...... Or would it be easier to tackle the larger scale RX-93 ?

Any suggestions appreciated :)

just in my opinion, id go with the mastergrade. its more complex that the 1/144 kit but i find painting larger parts is easier than painting smaller ones

I've got soooo many models to build (hundreds), and so many more builded but never finished, that need some glueing, painting, loving...

I've got some kitbash projects on, that won't fit here.

I've got a Zaku 2 diorama nearly done, the Red Zaku simply need the cables to be done, and some decals to be finished. Let's forget this one. Won't be fair.

http://hobbyforever.forum-actif.net/viewimage.forum?u=http://s582.photobucket.com/albums/ss264/YWESTLAURENCE/Gundam/DSC09185.jpg

I've got a F-91 Gundam 1/72, Resin kit, ready to be primed and painted and built... The thing is that I don't like this mecha. :)

I've got a Sazabi MG 1/100, started, wanted to built it for a girlfriend of mine. But since we wanted it to be shiny with red metallic, it's a bit difficult to do for me (I'm more in the "dust" thing you see... :D ).

I've got a Gundam Mk III, a big Resin mecha in 1/72 I think a group of friends gave me to "shape correctly" since it was poorly builded, glued with to much crazy glue, and painted like... well, there's no word for the mess they have done here. I washed the crazy mess and started to paint with Revell Acrylic Color. That could be a good candidate, and a rare Gundam, not seen often on the web. It Garage kits are allowed that is...

DSC07751.jpgMSF-007_Gundam_Mk_III_30.jpg

I've got a Zaku 2 from Gundam 0083, a 1/144 model kit in Resin, rare one too. Nearly done, the problem is, clearly, that

http://hobbyforever.forum-actif.net/viewimage.forum?u=http://s50.photobucket.com/albums/f343/yeuweuleu/Gundam/GundamCOnversionKits.jpg

And I've got Ladies... Lady Gundam is a Mecha musume, AKA ladies with armor... I've got one nearly done, representing the GP-01 FB,

http://hobbyforever.forum-actif.net/viewimage.forum?u=http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f343/yeuweuleu/Gundam/PICT1716.jpg

and another one that need to be built (pinned) and painted, that has to be the V2 Gundam. They are garage kit, resin...

v2-girl.jpg

So much choices... So much to do.

What's your opinion ? Regular plastic kits ? Garage kits ? :D

greyphantom1000 said:
hey john would it be cool if i enterd a second model? i have it snapped together but i want to customize it to add additional weapons and armor and that sort of stuff + custom paint

Enter as many as you want. The only rule is that is must be a Gundam, and at the end it is a Gundam.

what he said. In many ways its easier to do an MG because parts are broken down by color even more than the HGs. If you've never done the "alligator clip" method of modeling before, you are in for a treat.

sunsanvil said:
what he said. In many ways its easier to do an MG because parts are broken down by color even more than the HGs. If you've never done the "alligator clip" method of modeling before, you are in for a treat.

"Alligator clip" method??????
What is that?

5676028080_7853d9a005_b.jpg

Basically, insofar as the kit's construction and engineering allow, you paint all the pieces individually, usually holding them using an alligator clip at some inconspicuous point, and THEN assemble the model.

Why do this? To preserve a rather unique aspect of the Bandai mobile suit kits: articulation (aka "poseability"). If you finish the kit in the traditional way, as soon as you bend a knee, elbow, whatever, you reveal unpainted plastic. Its possible to paint, articulate, paint again, but that is tedious. And even with the aligator clip method care must be taken when prepping the parts to grind/sand down areas of potential contact to allow for paint thickness, ensuring that your work wont be ruined when posing the MS.

Bandai mobile suit kits uniquely enable this method as the various pieces (for the most part) are broken down by color. With the exception of small details its usually possible to paint everything and then assemble.

Added you to the list. If I've missed anyone who has said what they are doing, please PM me to be added.

Latest posts

Back