I Need A Magnifier, Any Suggestions?

Slang

Hi, I have recently started modeling again after being away from the hobby for quite sometime and I am trying to get some of my tools and fixtures updated. I was hoping that someone might be able to suggest a decent magnifier if you could. I have a round 4" one that I am using now, that also has a florescent bulb. It is the spring loaded draftsman type, that mounts to the bench and it does a pretty good job. But the lens gets in the way when I'm trying to work really close up with files, or detailing with paint brushes etc.

I heard that there are some "headband visor" clones on Ebay that do a really good job but I have absolutely no idea as to what to look for, as far as which magnification power or manufacturers brand name. I would appreciate any help, or advice that would help me to find something that could be used for basically anything that needs to be done during kit assembly, detail painting, etc. .. Oh, and something with a light is a must.

Thanks for any help

I have used a few different types from the desk mounted to the small one with clips when working with small objects I have bought one of the headband visor ones with attached lights I found it took some getting use to but once I got use to it I found it worked perfect. You can get them almost anywhere tools are sold or hobby stores which would be better then ebay as you could try it on first.

Ian said:
I went the headband visor route when I resumed building last year, but found them uncomfortable to wear and difficult to use.

These have been a MUCH better solution, and I'm about to order a 4.0 strength.

OPTX 20/20 Alphareader 3 Pair Valupac Metal Readers 300

Thanks for the reply Ian, I had heard about the reading glasses from another forum. Some of those guys spoke very highly of them, and to be honest I am really interested in them as well. The only thing that worries me about this type of magnifier is my eyesight problems. I wear bifocals nowadays in my old age, and of course with that issue comes another issue, and that is astigmatism (if I spelled it correctly)...Focusing problems at certain distances.

I don't know if they would work for me or not, being that one eye is one thing and the other is another...so to speak LOL! .. It might end up that I have to go with the visor type, although the reading glasses would really be sooo much easier to deal with.

I wonder if I could go to Wally World or some place like that, and get an idea if I could deal with the readers from their display rack? Although, I think the highest power that they have is around 1.75 - 2.00 or so.

Thanks for the help

41Sh34rCD5L.jpg

arohk said:
I have used a few different types from the desk mounted to the small one with clips when working with small objects I have bought one of the headband visor ones with attached lights I found it took some getting use to but once I got use to it I found it worked perfect. You can get them almost anywhere tools are sold or hobby stores which would be better then ebay as you could try it on first.

I'll check out Hobby Lobby and see if they might have one that I could take a look at. I'd like to go with the readers as Ian suggested, but I'm at the point now that I am open to all suggestions. The draftsman's magnifier that I have is really starting to get on my nerves.

Thank you

I never thought of using the reading type glasses I might have to check that out as well myself.

I used to have a magnifier light on an arm but that has been shelved in favour of a magnifying visor.
My advise would be to fine one with a light and multiple magnifying lenses and if they flip or rotate rather than clip in or out there are less parts to loose.

WebbyNZ said:
I used to have a magnifier light on an arm but that has been shelved in favour of a magnifying visor.
My advise would be to fine one with a light and multiple magnifying lenses and if they flip or rotate rather than clip in or out there are less parts to loose.

I looked online at the cheap ones at Harbor Freight a few minutes ago. They've got theirs on sale for $3.99 this week, but it's just a standard visor model without lights or any extra lenses. I might run by there tomorrow and pick one up just to see if I like the way that it works. I know they aren't top notch quality, but for less than five bucks it will give me an idea of whether the visor is the way that I want to go or not, without investing a lot of money in it from the git-go.

And if I like the way that it works, I'll look into getting a better one, with interchangeable lenses and lights down the road, when money isn't as tight.

Thanks

Go to the dollar store, you can find reading glasses up to 3.0 for well one dollar. That is what I have done for a long time. I do have the over the head magnifiers and like Ian said, they are uncomfortable and hard to use.

Latest posts

Back