I Have Lit!!!!!

AKE

A moment for the ages! A new dawning of man! Bow down before my awesome powers!! I HAVE CREATED LIGHT!!!!!!!!

Ok. It's just two LEDs crappily soldered together, but it's a start!

light.jpg

It looks like you have them in series, I would re-wire them in parallel. That way if one burns out, it won't take them all down.

If you need help, give me a shout.

Grendels said:
It looks like you have them in series, I would re-wire them in parallel. That way if one burns out, it won't take them all down.

Yeah. Sadly, it died because I was playing around with it too much I guess. Poor little thing. I buried it in the backyard next to the hamster.

*sniff*

Putting them in parallel should also preserve your battery life a bit.

I took electronics engineering in a past life, but probably have forgotten most of what I have learned.

One thing that is ingrained is Ohms Law............... V (Volts)= I (Amps) X R (Resistance)

Now in a parallel circuit, your voltage across each lamp is going to be the same, so basically figure out how many lamps (LEDs) you are going to use, multiply that number by the amount of voltage each LED takes to be lit, and you will end up with the total voltage you will need from your batteries.

You will then place a resistor of the right value in series with the circuit this will give you the proper amperage across the LEDs, too many amps and the LED's burn out. Simple diagram of the basic circuit.

parallel_photo_qjgenth.png

Only thing to add to that circuit would be a switch in the circuit to turn it on and off.

That is the simplest way of doing it. You can get more complicated by introducing some chips and boards to create some cool effects, as well as wiring in capacitors if you wanted a blinking effect to some marker lights....but that gets into the more complicated side of circuitry.

Elm City Hobbies said:
Now in a parallel circuit, your voltage across each lamp is going to be the same, so basically figure out how many lamps (LEDs) you are going to use, multiply that number by the amount of voltage each LED takes to be lit, and you will end up with the total voltage you will need from your batteries.

Now that's where I was getting confused. What I'm getting from what you are saying is if I'm using 10 LEDs at 2v each, then I need a 20 volt power supply. 10x2=20. That can't be right, can it? That's like 13 AA batteries.

2volts each? That seems a lot of power to light one LED. When you consider that a mini flashlight usually has 7-11 LEDs (and much brighter ones that I would guess you have in that kit), and run on 2 AAs.

My circuitry theory may be a little rusty...so don't take it as gospel. I used to have a circuit making program for the PC....but can't seem to find it now.

The Circuit Maker name comes to mind....but could be wrong.

Great stuff AKE! You're well on your way and this new skill opens up a whole new world - reminds me of a Disney song!

AKE said:
Elm City Hobbies said:

Now that's where I was getting confused. What I'm getting from what you are saying is if I'm using 10 LEDs at 2v each, then I need a 20 volt power supply. 10x2=20. That can't be right, can it? That's like 13 AA batteries.

No, that is where the mA comes in. Two AA batteries will power 20 leds for 13.5 hours, give or take a hour or two depending on the type of battery. To figure this out you need the capacity of the battery, and the mA of the LED's.

Voltage is just the amount of energy required to light the LED. Two AA batteries in parallel will supply 3V. That will light 20 LED's just fine. If they are in parallel, and the voltage requirement on each LED is less than 3V. It just won't stay on for a long, long time.

Now if you hooked them up in series, you would be facing the problem you outlined. 20 2V LED's would require close to 40V to light. This is why most people don't hook them up in series, and the other reason is that if one LED burns out when they are in series, the whole thing quits working.

Grendals has it right....I had my voltage and amps backwards in my explanation above.

So take the amperage of each LED you want to use, add it all up, and your power source should have the same amount of amps.

The problem then lies if the number of LEDs you want requires X amount of amperage that you need say 3 AA batteries, then you are going to have 4.5V running to each LED which will burn them out because it is too much voltage, that is where the resistor comes in to dial back the voltage so that it is only the required 2V across the LED, even if you are only using 2 AA, that is still 3V at the LED, if the LED requires only 2V to light, then 3V might be slightly too much and you run the risk of burning them out, so you would then still need a resistor in the circuit to reduce the voltage.

Elm City Hobbies said:
Putting them in parallel should also preserve your battery life a bit.

I took electronics engineering in a past life, but probably have forgotten most of what I have learned.

One thing that is ingrained is Ohms Law............... V (Volts)= I (Amps) X R (Resistance)

You will then place a resistor of the right value in series with the circuit this will give you the proper amperage across the LEDs, too many amps and the LED's burn out. Simple diagram of the basic circuit.

parallel_photo_qjgenth.png

Only thing to add to that circuit would be a switch in the circuit to turn it on and off.

That is the simplest way of doing it. You can get more complicated by introducing some chips and boards to create some cool effects, as well as wiring in capacitors if you wanted a blinking effect to some marker lights....but that gets into the more complicated side of circuitry.

What's funny is that I keep the site you copied this pic from on my favorite places just so I know how to wire up my LED's and figure out my resistance. Very helpful indeed!

looks like good clean fun, AKE, I'm trying some similar projects here too

by Grendels, "... that is where the mA comes in. Two AA batteries will power 20 leds for 13.5 hours, give or take a hour or two depending on the type of battery. To figure this out you need the capacity of the battery, and the mA of the LED's."

Grendels, How do I find out, with my multi-meter or other means, what the mA is for random LED bulbs I have in the spares box?

Ohm said:
looks like good clean fun, AKE, I'm trying some similar projects here too

by Grendels, "... that is where the mA comes in. Two AA batteries will power 20 leds for 13.5 hours, give or take a hour or two depending on the type of battery. To figure this out you need the capacity of the battery, and the mA of the LED's."

Grendels, How do I find out, with my multi-meter or other means, what the mA is for random LED bulbs I have in the spares box?

I posted an answer on the other thread.....

http://www.scalemodeladdict.com/forum/index.php/topic,3549.msg51078.html#msg51078

Latest posts

Back