I ask What the H#!! Judges?

That's the problem with a crab mentality of some modelers... they tend forget about they are building for themselves not for others... some may says his a better than I what's the point of joining if your already thinking negative... showing your kits in a show / competition is already an achievement and the awards are is only an added bonus, but the best award for a modeler is to gain friends that share the same passion of modelling.

2 cents

Wow - really nice models!

Judging... tough, tough call on that one. I am of the thought that if you entered the exact same model on a different day of the week, you would get a different result! I've tried to guess which models will finish at the top on a few occasions but I have been right only half the time.

Specs in the window and illegal load out? A bit of a stretch for me. I get a missed seem or a silvered decal but those other things? No, at that point its just that someone else's was slightly better in their eye.

Tell you something though, your models are top shelf for sure!

I have to agree about the illegal load out call....that is just pure BS.

If you had something dumb like a Russian A2A missile loaded out on a US F-15....then yeah, as a judge, I am going to call you on it, unless you can show me some photographic proof.

As to whether a Vietnam era F4 carried 2 different types of Sidewinders? Unlikely, but it is possible. I would be more apt to knock off a half point or so because that one missile with the black nose looks to be about 1/8" ahead of the rest of them on the launcher.

The only case for an illegal load out call, is if it was say an Aim 9L/M which wouldn't have been in service when that F4 in question was, if the F4 was intended to be a Vietnam warbird, otherwise it is a BS call.

Bladerunner said:
Specs in the window and illegal load out? A bit of a stretch for me. I get a missed seem or a silvered decal but those other things? No, at that point its just that someone else's was slightly better in their eye.

Thanks Bladerunner (one of my all time Favorite Movies by the way)
The whole purpose of this particular show was to judge a model on it's own not any of the others around it. It was not a 123 situation with no sweeps in which I get that I would not have placed with some of my builds as I know the faults my thing is I scored a 2 on several and the only crit was the weathering, and none of the stuff I know was wrong. with 3 being average(bronze) with one point given for documentation ( of which I have for every model I build ). In this show theoretically every model in the show could get a medal, I just don't see anything of mine being of below average grade, when the weathering is the determining factor (which I feel is subjective). All seams sanded, no glue gobbes, although thought to be too weathered the paint job is smooth and uniform, wing /elevators level, wheels flattened and bulged, just the weathering brought up? the scoring was as follows 1-5 construction, 1-5 finish, +1/0/-1 for accuracy(documentation)
+1 for intangible 10-12 gold, 8-9 sil, 6-7 bronze below 6 nothing.

Elm, That F-4 was built to go in the OOB class at regular IPMS contests ie: 123 no sweep, as the build progressed I realized one of the missiles had vanished, this kit actually comes with two set of them one set just different from the other, so since it was in the box I used it, I could have replaced it with an extra one from Has, but that would not be OOB. I should have researched it a little, I called the build (The Last Three) implying they were them, as to the difference in alignment I think the attachment points (the Bands) are lined up, they are just at different points on the different ones, just pointing out not disputing.

Let me stress I am NOT as pissed as it may seem I have been use to things like this since I was in ART college 25years ago. I just wanted to discuss the subjectivity of weather style and should it way so much as to give some one a 2, 2, 0, 0 on a build that other wise is close to flawless, not perfect but close. I got a lot of 2s on the finish section just because of weathering, and in any pictured here is the finish not smooth and uniform?

James

Oh! I am not familiar with that show format. I have only done the 1-2-3 format.
It sounds like a great idea though!

My LHS proposed a show similar to what you describe only to have the locals nay say it. Pretty much why I don't do the club thing.

I didn't have time to read all the posts, but when you say "silvering" are you (or did they) meaning decal silvering (how the term is normally used) or too much paint chipping, showing silver(-ing)?

blunce said:
I didn't have time to read all the posts, but when you say "silvering" are you (or did they) meaning decal silvering (how the term is normally used) or too much paint chipping, showing silver(-ing)?

To much chipping, there are no decals silvered, all are applied on a well glossed surface. they were talking about the walkways that get sanded down by grit and soil on shoes.

James

Latest posts

Back