Humbrol 1$ a pot.. should i?

hook1169

"220 221 Whatever it takes" - Mr. Mom , M. Keaton
So i have decided that I will be using Vallejo and Tamiya paints as i continue to move back into the hobby. However one of my LHS's is selling all their Humbrol enamel pots for 1$ each. A Lot of the colors i have in my other brands or very similar colors. But for the price it sounds like too good to pass up, even though i don't really need them. Am i just being a packrat, or is this something the rest of you would not pass up either?

That's a decent discount.....and I hear the Humbrol enamels spray great thru an AB. Couldn't hurt to pick up a few if you'd actually use them.

If you are using vallejo and tamiya that mean you don't have any enamels, so yes you should get them :p . You can use them to do things that are harder or nearly impossible with acrylics.

Thanks for the opinions. I was just feeling like a packrat, as i always seem to be "collecting" things for the hobby. :)

Guess that comes with the territory.

hook1169 said:
Thanks for the opinions. I was just feeling like a packrat, as i always seem to be "collecting" things for the hobby. :)

Guess that comes with the territory.

Get used to it buddy, oh and buy yer self a new set of shelves, and some storage tubs, and maybe even one of those set of plastic storage drawers. This hobby goes hand in hand with pack ratting and collecting ;D just keep it organized and out SWMBO way and it should be all good.

But back on topic, at a dollar a tin, I would of been sticking a few in one of my storage bins ;D

Ravhin said:
If you are using vallejo and tamiya that mean you don't have any enamels, so yes you should get them :p . You can use them to do things that are harder or nearly impossible with acrylics.

Nothing you can do with an enamel that you can't do with an acrylic.

$1ea isn't bad, I special order Humbrol in for a couple of customers and charge $1.25 each, so not a bad deal, but nothing spectacular.

I started using Humbrol when I did my first kits as a kid (before the sebatical) and they are awesome paints but) I moved away for no other reason than the pots annoyed me.

Thats an awsome price I don't knoe what they retail for in the states but here that are 5 dollars plus at the store I got a great deal on a bunch of stock the dollar store brought in and they were 2 bucks a piece so ya I would deffinitly grab them

Elm City Hobbies said:
Ravhin said:

Nothing you can do with an enamel that you can't do with an acrylic.

$1ea isn't bad, I special order Humbrol in for a couple of customers and charge $1.25 each, so not a bad deal, but nothing spectacular.

Sure, those wonderful techniques that rely on enamels slower dry time are doable in acrylics, but there is a reason why I've never even see anyone doing them with acrylics but with oils or enamels.

Just as a simple example you have streaking chips. You usually do the chipping with acrylics and the streaking with enamels so that when you go over the streak with thinner to stump it you don't affect the chip. Sure you could do all with acrylics (though I've never seen streaking done with acrylics so don't really know how that works), but you would have to chip wait for it to sure top coat wait for it to cure then streak wait for it to cure top coat again wait for it to cure and keep this going with all the layers of effects that you want to apply.

Humbrols are fantastic prob the best enamel paint, I would limit the selection to colors you can use for weathering, no real point in having 15+ that you won't use, I have 6 of them and I don't use them, except for the metal buffing color

I didn't realize they were normally inexpensive to start with, I had assumed they were 3-4 bucks like all the other paints at the shops normally. I picked up a bunch of the standard German Armor colors and some base colors, as well as 2 or 3 each of the Flat and Gloss Finishes.

arohk said:
Thats an awsome price I don't knoe what they retail for in the states but here that are 5 dollars plus at the store I got a great deal on a bunch of stock the dollar store brought in and they were 2 bucks a piece so ya I would deffinitly grab them

$5 each? That is highway robbery, but I think I mis-typed, my normal retail on them is $2.25, not $1.25, but still...$5?? Even the pricey Model Master isn't that expensive.

I love humbrol its my main paint

for 1$ a pot i would rape that LHS dry

I was always told you can never have too much paint so why not lol. Stock up Mate then you have them if you need them.

Id be all over that. i do most of my painting with humbrols. i have a few acrylics but not a massive fan

Latest posts

Back