How to use Panel Line Accent?

rskd0001

I paint with Vallejo paint by brush. Then I use Testors Glosscote to seal it. Then apply the Tamiya Panel line wash. The problem is trying to remove the excess panel wash from the surface. I use Testors enamel thinner on a q-tip to try to clean it. I must be doing something wrong because it NEVER works. the thinner doesn't remove anything at first, and by the time it does remove the wash, it removes the glosscote as well and damages the acrylic paint layers too. Is something in there incompatible with something else? Is there something better to use than a Q-tip, because the cotton tip falls apart so quickly as to be useless. I have no idea what I am doing wrong so ANY insight will be very helpful.

Use an acrylic clear coat .
That Testors is a lacquer and really weak when topping it with other solvent based coating like that Tamiya wash .
-- or an alkyd ( enamel ) clear coat if you need to use rattle can .
You actually don't need to clear coat prior to applying other effects like washes and decals .
Try out the wash on some practice assembly that you have painted with acrylic but have not clear coated to see .

I paint with Vallejo paint by brush. Then I use Testors Glosscote to seal it. Then apply the Tamiya Panel line wash. The problem is trying to remove the excess panel wash from the surface. I use Testors enamel thinner on a q-tip to try to clean it. I must be doing something wrong because it NEVER works. the thinner doesn't remove anything at first, and by the time it does remove the wash, it removes the glosscote as well and damages the acrylic paint layers too. Is something in there incompatible with something else? Is there something better to use than a Q-tip, because the cotton tip falls apart so quickly as to be useless. I have no idea what I am doing wrong so ANY insight will be very helpful.
I have the same issue, except I am using the Tamiya spray lacquer. I am going to try pledge floor polish and see it it hold up to the enamel thinner better

I know it doesn't need to be this way... I know there are a lot cheaper solutions...

But...

I always use the thinner from the same make... Meaning when I use AK I use their thinner, and so on...

I did notice that the AK thinner works fine with the Tamiya panel liner tho.

I use proprietary products, too, to a degree. Specifically, I found I get my best results with Tamiya's acrylics, when I use Tamiya's acrylic thinner. I tried other things, specifically water, and isopropyl. But neither worked for me. An exception to this is that when airbrushing, I have tried generic lacquer thinner and that worked well, too. That was an experiment, to see if it would enhance the matte finish of the flat colors (it appeared to).

For other media, though, such as various brand of enamels, or lacquers, I have been able to use generic mineral spirits or lacquer thinners.

But it is sound advice, especially with Vallejo's Model Air airbrush products. If you're using a paint, and it doesn't seem to work right, then consider using the maker's thinner, retarder, etc, and see if that resolves the problem.

Latest posts

Back