Hobby shops Tokyo & Hong Kong

rookie

This is not a toy
Hi All, I will be heading to japan and Hong Kong for this Christmas break.

Looking for anyone who knows of any good hobby shops either in Tokyo or Hong Kong. Can't wait to pick up some bargains and do some damage on the credit card!! ;D

I don't know how it is in Australia but In Portugal our hobby shops are pretty anaemic, and when I went to Japan I was just dumbfounded at the amazing stores.

Over there some department stores have a whole floor dedicated to scale modelling, which is pretty insane.

I used the following list for reference http://tokyo-hobby-shops.geraet040.net/

Thanks for the link Rhavin, very helpfull.

Scott- checked HJL, it's seems like they don't have a retail outlet, just a massive warehouse..

Yes HLJ doesn't have a store, and the warehouse is in the middle of nowhere a few hours by train from Tokyo.

I was trying to find the address of a cool little store I went, that is connected with the Dengeki Hobby magazine. Many times you can see some pro modellers doing their work there. I know it's in the main street in akihabara, I'm not finding the number and floor.

rookie said:
Thanks for the link Rhavin, very helpfull.

Scott- checked HJL, it's seems like they don't have a retail outlet, just a massive warehouse..

No, this is true, but I think they will still allow you to browse the isles, shoot them an e-mail and ask, all they can do is say no, but I doubt they would.

I lived in Japan for two years and it is riddled with hobby shops. Just throw a rock and your bound to hit one.

What a great way to spend Christmas break! I wish I could send you with a wish list, or even a handful of cash and let you find me some goodies!

My wife and I were just discussing plans for my soon to be birthday, and I would love to spend a few hours in a hobby shop like that! With all the building and aftermarket bits available why is it so hard to find quality hobby shops like that in the US? I have Hobby Lobby - yippee!

Anyhow - I hope you have a great trip - ENJOY IT!!

Erik

I was just up in Tokyo last weekend for some business. As usual I made the short hop over to Akihabara to check out the hobby shops. Akihabara is three stops away from Tokyo station on the green line. My usual route is to hit up Yodobashi Camera first (huge electronics dept. store). They have a rather large hobby section on the 6th floor. I go there first because they sell most kits, tools, paints and parts at a good discount which is usually cheaper than the other shops in the area.

Next I'll hop over to Volks. Their hobby section is on the 2nd floor (first floor is anime toys and junk). After that I'll run over to Yellow Submarine. By the time I'm done with those three I've blown all the cash I brought with me.

Ravhin said:
I used the following list for reference http://tokyo-hobby-shops.geraet040.net/

This list is really all you need. It'll help you find your way.

HLJ's warehouse is waaaaay out in Tochigi. You would have to kill all day for that trip. I'd rather just stick to the shops in Tokyo as you will find anything you are looking for there anyway plus have more time to spend on the sights in the city.

Well down to my last coupleof days in Tokyo and think I have hit most of the stores that you guys posted , so thanks a million.

The prices for Tamiya and Hasegawa were about half compared to Australia!! Had to make some tough choices on what to buy, but have still managed to pick up 6 or 7 kits, still unsure on how to get them home... :-\ , looks like the kids will be taking some carry on luggage..lol.

Tokyo is a Gundam head paradise as these kits can be found in just about any store that has a toy section.

was hoping to find a new AB but didnt come across much choice apart from Tamiya, I will have a look around Hong Kong time permiting and may even find a few more kits to squeeze into the suitcase.

Will post some pics of my purchases when I get home.

Belated happy new year to you all :)

Don't be turned off by Tamiya / GSI Creos airbrushes. They have fantastic quality and are made by the same factory that does Iwata.

Zemmix said:
Don't be turned off by Tamiya / GSI Creos airbrushes. They have fantastic quality and are made by the same factory that does Iwata.

Yes indeed. I have a Mr Hobby airbrush I bought in Japan and it's superb. Amazing value for the money.

Here's some pics of my shopping spree .... At the rate I build I have enough here to last me for about 3 years ;D.

The hobby boss kit looks fabulously detailed, never built one before so looking forward to see hOw it goes together

8fb41e63f8ce9608e787d5204d5f82fb.jpg

272b7f67c7e90e90837f189435f493d8.jpg
2d7e6238b79848a1f4f1d7ada790e179.jpg
Tamiyas latest release, comes with photo etch and canopy masks
d1df2b45867d709182c55c64df2c1044.jpg
This looked like too much fun, so it had to go in the shopping cart
dbf59a3c4464ab8e92022b3c95e46eac.jpg

e26ede775d47d3b3231cf18e9b3fa16b.jpg

fb1477f0eb48a96df2b67bc59f44344f.jpg
Token amour purchase..
e848559a2129dd47721b032ae5caf850.jpg
And this was irresistible , never tried sci Fi , I think it has some good potential for weathering
b1edbb947dacabbc03472d54f43a15a5.jpg
And finally a nice new AB and assorted supplies.
f5102256d2e8c6fd7cdc28d13c7314b0.jpg

Can't wait to get stuck into some of these, it's gone be tough deciding where to start . But first I have a few on the bench I need to finish up.....sound familiar ? :) will try my hardest not to start any until I have ;)

Thanks for looking

Latest posts

Back