Hey folks!

d20Daddy

Just getting to now the site and wanted to say hello. I work on Warhammer 40k miniatures, Star Trek, Star Wars, and anime mecha models.

Quaralane said:
Show some pics. I'd love to see some of what you've got

Would love to but don't have anything worth seeing right now... ;)

I have a Klingon D7 on the back burner and several boxes of mechs that need some love, but all my old stuff is in disrepair from storage (and severe newbie work). I've been trying to overcome my fear of my airbrush so I can get my D7 looking spiff, plus it would make my Warhammer 40k stuff look much better. Thanks for the interest, I'll see about getting something up.

I had a fear of airbrush too. It sat idle for a long time. Then one day I connected it to a compressor and put some thin paint in it and started trying to draw lines and spray small dots on a sheet of paper. Once I had that feeling decent I tried painting an old model kit...and so on.

Just go for it. You will not hurt yourself or go to jail for trying.

Welcome aboard
Just as Scott said, throw some paint in the brush and start spraying.
If you screw up...That's why they sell paint stripper ;)

Here is what I did to get comfortable with the air brush:

I went to an art store, got a pad of newsprint paper. Filled the air brush with water colored with food color and started spraying.

The exercise is to draw dots of uniform size and color density. Once that is mastered try drawing lines, both vertical and horizontal. The goal there is to make a uniform line, with no blotches at the beginning or the end.

I used water colored with food coloring because it is very easy to clean up, non toxic, and no harmful fumes.

The next step is to take a few plastic drink bottles, and spray them with rattle can primer. Then put some paint in your air brush and repeat the above steps. This will give you a transition from a flat surface with water to a surface more like a model without actually being a model. At the end of this, you will be ready for using it on a model.

Just my 2 cents of advice......

Latest posts

Back