Help on getting started thoughts ideas? cheap. ect

Genocidal Jet

hello all i am new here and recently really started to like building models mostly cars i have tried this when i was younger but never understood what i was doing i want to get back to it and get the full feeling out of Building model cars.

I was wondering what i need to get started perferbly cheap such as models, paint, ect i would love to get into building model cars but just dont know where to start thanks again!

Hello!

IMHO, you are not ready yet, because you are too lazy and don't want to read forum or use the seach, read some FAQ in Internet. There are so many articles on this theme. You are not the first one.

Do it. Buy model what you really like (want) to build (any type, any manufacture) and start doing it. And you will start to ask more specified questions.

best regards,
tytax

No need to be harsh yes i have read a few FAQ but i thought this site would at least help me better understand things that may sound funky there are people here that take pride on what they do maybe someone along the way wants to share a tip or two which would help me out like for instance a good play to buy models for a decent price great types of paint if you need something to go by i have a few models in mind such as a 1969 charger, ford mustang boss, GT i can name some but thats why i came here for some help

Tytax, there is no call for that, he is a newbie asking questions which we encourage around here.

Consider this a warning, your first post on this website, and your are basically harassing another new member....

Smarten up, you won't get a 2nd warning!

Screw that...banned. I have no use for an attitude like that around here.

My apologies Genocidal Jet...

So modeling on the cheap. Honestly you might as well buy a nice newer kit and have a good experience with it. Budget $30 for a newer car kit from the likes of Revell.

Following that you'll need a knife, sandpaper and glue. Start with the very basics of supplies and get your hands dirty. As for paint - if you want to spend little use a rattle can.

Welcome to the forum. If you happen to live in an area with a Michaels or Hobby Lobby both have a nearly weekly 40% off coupon available online. It's a great way to save a few $$ on a nicer kit. Find a subject you are really interested in and go for it. Most importantly, have fun!

Thanks i found a hobby store in my area and the guy was pretty cool he told me and showed me a few cool thing i got my self two revell models. one is a 07 shelby gt corbra and a 69 dodge charger r/t which i was happy about i got myself some paint and some glue for it. i had snippers and a few exacto knife so i set there i put in about 6 hours today and got mostly done for the most part so again thanks for the advice this is my first ever build and i will try to post some photos soon. thanks again :)

I don't know if you have a similar thing in your country or location but pound/dollar stores sell make up tools and stuff that can be cheaper and just as effective as modelling ones.

As someone in pretty much the same position as the OP here, I read this thread with some interest. Unfortunately the stuff about discounts at various stores doesn't help me much as I live in NZ, and anything I get from there discounted, would carry as much or more back in shipping :)

However, the comment about using makeup tools for modelling tools was interesting. I've used a pair of tweezers from such kits since I started. I found a small (absolute cheap quality) tool set from the supermarket for about $3.50 that had modelling sized pliers, side cutters etc, and this works totally fine! For a cutting board I have a back panel taken out of a scrapped computer monitor lol. A good hobby knife can be $10 or $50 but I can't see a heck of a lot of difference between them... just make sure you balance quality with price, so you are not paying for the name printed on the side, but also not just buying rubbish.

Paints, you will want to stick to the proper branded stuff. I used spray cans for the base layers on my first 2 models. Now I'm looking to setup with an airbrush.

And i've now just bought a couple of weathering pigments, but i've had no problem in using some artist quality water based paints to create washes for rust / oil on some tank tracks. These I just bought from my local hardware store, and will last a good long while.

If you are thinking to build any dioramas, keep hold of any heavy styrofoam (the kind they use to pad boxes for washing machines / dryers etc.) I used this to good effect to build up a base, and covered it with builders plaster (get the powder, not the pre-mixed stuff). Any offcuts of wood big enough to build a base on are also good (else a particle board shelf goes pretty cheap at the hardware store). Big pieces of bark make for excellent rocks in minature scale :p

Sorry I can't help more to tell you which kits etc to get, or which brand paints as I don't have the knowledge, but i'm sure you'll find out. What i'm saying here, is keep your eye out for things that can be repurposed for modelling, even if you don't have a specific purpose in mind yet.

Couple of things i can sugest,

Glue : the best around is the Tamiya Extra thin (green cap) i tried so many different one before i got to this and wondered why i didnt get any before!

Workbech : if you dont want to spen for a cutting mat , get a cheap dollar store wood chopping board, it will make your #11 blade last longeur, i would suggest a cheap halogen flexible desk light , small boxes to put your loose parts in not to loose them to the carpet monster. this brings me to the next point tame your carpet monster! :p feed it spare parts not needed for the kit then try to find them (im serious gravity is pretty linear) so that when you drop a good part youl know the general area thats its gona hide!

For paints , the Testor rattle cans are great, you can also use Krylon for plastic but you have a limited pallet and are much harder to control.

Clear cote : Essential for decal installation and great to protect your finished project, Get some Pledge floor wax with future, its cheap and you can brush it on http://www.pledge.ca/en/products-future-floor.html

Hope this helps

Latest posts

Back