Help me choose a tank! UPDATE!

whiskee

Ok, my next build is going to be an armor piece, there are so many good choices out the I cannot decide.

so help me choose a kit based on these criteria..it will be fun.

1. I do not want a tiger. My dad has built so many of these and he is really, really, good and I would only trying to achieve what he can and will only get discouraged.

2. Nothing post cold war/ Vietnam.

3. I would like to do a desert or winter weathering/paint scheme.

4. A kit that builds great OOB and is novice friendly.

ok I think that is about it. Let me know what yall think.

Re: Help me choose a tank!

WHISKEE,

I'm on a build right now that, .. (imho) I think really ROX ! It's th Elephant with Zimmerit - Dragon(#6465) It has a very cool silhouette . Th kit it's self goes together better than any other Dragon kit I've put together. The road wheels fit like a Glove & there is No wobble ! Rock Solid !! This is a really smooth kit to put together. Plus the history that follows this particular Panzer is pretty cool too ! Not too much for a desert scene. But there were a few in the winter of '44-'45 that had a White wash scheme & with th size of this Basher .. It would look Phat with a "Season Ending" Winter scheme ) - again just my $.02 (USD)

Good morning to you all, :)

Here in Valencia it´s 10AM, beautiful 20ºC and sunny day. :D

Hey, Whiskee,

Taking in counter all the variables you´ve referred, those are two options that come to my mind, easy targets for a beginner:

• If you want to have a clear chance to winterize a model, I would choose TAMIYA´s 1:48 US M-10 TD:

http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/32519destroyer/index.htm

top.jpg

• If you want to play “Desert”, I would choose TAMIYA´s 1:48 CRUSADER MkI/II:

http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/32541crusader/index.htm

top.jpg

And I believe you have the chance to get some chocolate brown / desert yellow camo schemes for the Crusader…

I say Tamiya because they´re less complicated to build that another brands, usually are trouble-free, with very clear non-ambiguous instructions…

And this is just my opinion… 8)

Cheers/saludos ;)

I have to agree with Jelly...by the way, send some of that weather this way.....The Tamiya kits are the best beginner kits. Both 1/48 and 1/35 kits are good in terms of quality and the tracks are not as bad as doing say MK or Fruils.
There are several vehicles that fall in your Winter/Desert category. It would depend on if you prefer Axis or Allied vehicles I would say. Any hoo, the tamiya kits are the best novice kits so pick one and have fun with it.

Cheers
scratchmod

You could always try one of the Tamiya Panther G kits, Early, late and Steel wheel,

Pete

I will second/third/fourth the Tamiya kit recommendation. They are easily the simplest assembly choice out there.

As for the vehicle itself, there are countless options for either desert or winter schemes, I would probably start by researching pictures first, then when you see something you like check if there is a kit that represents it. If it doesn't have to be a 'Tank' you will give yourself many options into things like half tracks, jeeps, trucks, artillery, self propelled guns, tank destroyers etc.

Hi Whiskee,

I would recommend the Tamiya T-55 Russian Tank 1/35, its best for OOB or weathering from to sand to winter. 2nd the Trumpeter T-62 1972 1/35 series, you can also try the modern Challenger 2 with upgraded armor.

WHISKEE,

That's a great little kit to get you into the Armor niche ! It will be a fun build & was prevalent through out th German Battle in WWII ! In either scheme you could also try the Weathering techniques of Faded chipped paint by using the Hairspray method ... A slightly advanced technique, but with a little guidance is easily manageable !!

I also agree with th masses .... Tamiya is by far the Best kits to take a stab into th genere with . I was just excited by the Dragon Elephant.

I can highly recommend the 88mm, it was part of the first diorama I ever built, way before I had even heard of pigments. Its a great kit lots of variety in the box and a lot cheaper than the African equivalent.

nSkiR.jpg

su6TE.jpg

Alan.

The M-24 Chaffee. You can do it in a Winter white wash and it is just a cool looking tank!

Frank Blanton

i got the 88mm gun yesterday from my local hobby shop. It looks like its going to be a challenge(in a good way) there is alot of stuff in that box!

whiskee said:
i got the 88mm gun yesterday from my local hobby shop. It looks like its going to be a challenge(in a good way) there is alot of stuff in that box!

WHISKEE - Is this th Tamiya kit ? If it is .. It's a Sweet kit, as all Tamiya kits are Superbly engineered & it will practically build itself. I built Their 88 back in t Day - '83 , But I do remember it going together well . That's what Tamiya is known for !!

AC/DC-For Those About to Rock/The Patriot

Latest posts

Back