Have social media sites changed the way you use modelling forums?

Have social media sites changed the way you use modelling forums?

• Yes

Votes: 14 31.8%
  • No

Votes: 30 68.2%

• Total voters
When I first asked this question; I wasn't fishing for "I LOVE SMA"...but guys I'd be lyin' if I didn't appreciate all the good vibes.

We all shape the tone here. We all do. I really appreciate you guys hanging out here.

Now back to the bench!

I'm on facebook etc not traveling special Bosh with my friends always directly above forums.

noname said:
I'm proud to say that as of this moment I am, and have never been on Facebook. I partake in no social media. Which makes me about as rare as a flying pig.

I got you beat--I don't own a cell phone or iPhone, and have no intention of getting either. I still use a land line for phone calls, and DSL for my home Internet

Timbaux said:
One thing I've noticed in the past about the FB vs forums topic is that it leads to some rustled jimmies in many cases

Once again, in English, please. ;D

Do you mean that there's been some bad blood? I know in one forum I belong to, some of the members very enthusiastically advertised a new Facebook group for the same modeling genre, encouraging everyone to join, and then several of them cut back their activity in the forum, focusing on the FB group. They were veterans of the forum, charter members, if you will, and I think there was a feeling that they were abandoning the forum, and giving a bit of an insult to the forum's founder and all the work he did. However, I don't think there was an open break between the two groups, and he eventually began to post some things on FB as well. But some of us decided to make sure we continued to use the forum, out of respect and attachment to its founder.

Facebook hasn't changed my forum activity that much; I do post some build blog info there, but more, I post finished things there. Facebook is really more for my family and friends to have a look at what I do. No, what changes my forum activity is when a new forum comes out, and someone tells me I need to join. Then I realize that I just don't have time to be an active member of so many forums, and I keep to my core group of forums.

for myself I have only a few main forum type site I mainly visit SMA,Imperial Gunnery, a sci-fi one and a pagan one as for facebook I do use it but I don't belong to many groups. I prefer to come to the before mentioned places as I feel at home in them. For the most part with facebook groups I find people argue more then anything, where as here we enjoy seeing what people are doing and we get along.

the Baron said:
Timbaux said:
One thing I've noticed in the past about the FB vs forums topic is that it leads to some rustled jimmies in many cases

Do you mean that there's been some bad blood?

From my what I've seen in the past on this topic it would usually begin as some sort of willy wonka FB memes war escalating to name calling etc. but this is on a car forum where surprisingly mods let a lot of stuff slide by when it shouldn't. As I mentioned before, it is quite a nice change to read and participate here on SMA since that atmosphere is non existent :)

Timbaux said:
the Baron said:
Timbaux said:

Do you mean that there's been some bad blood?

From my what I've seen in the past on this topic it would usually begin as some sort of willy wonka FB memes war escalating to name calling etc. but this is on a car forum where surprisingly mods let a lot of stuff slide by when it shouldn't. As I mentioned before, it is quite a nice change to read and participate here on SMA since that atmosphere is non existent :)

Ah, OK, thanks, understood! On that point, though, I think that's more a factor of the personalities involved, than of the forum or medium. There have been plenty of flame wars on established forums, and there'll be more. That's why this forum is so great, and Agape Models, too. I think it's a gentlemen's agreement we all follow here, not to devolve into the kind of name-calling and acrimony that flares up at Hyperscale, say, or Armorama.

If everyone respects, and treats others the way they want to be treated, this will remain a friendly, helpful forum.

myhobbyroom said:
If everyone respects, and treats others the way they want to be treated, this will remain a friendly, helpful forum.

That, and also any of those who want to spend much of their energy here causing trouble, are simply shown the door. ;)

I'd say no, I seldom go on Facebook because it annoys me. Even though I see an advantage in keeping in touch with friends that are not in my locale, I don't want to be spammed with all the "like" pages they do to win prizes...
nor am I that bothered that some girl I once met has a baby that just made a mess on the floor. Lovely lass, but too much time on her hands as a stay at home mum and a friend collection addiction.

Never used tweeter or anything else and don't intend to, so good modelling forum is a daily habit of mine. At the moment I go on 2, this and a sci-fi gaming one.

;D

I don't have a FB account or any others for that matter. I use LinkedIn for my professional life but apart from that SMA is the only form of social networking that I partake in. Each to their own, my wife loves FB as it's a great way to keep up with her friends overseas.
One of my best mates made the following observation " I have about 200 Facebook friends but my 4-5 closest friends aren't even on face book"

I don't really mess around with social media. I got rid of my facebook years ago. Never cared for it. To me its just a huge waste of time. You spend all this time gathering up "friends" and reading tons of useless information. I post here, and on Deviant Art, and that's it. I like Deviant Art because you can meet interesting people that are really great artists, post art work, have people critique it, which in turn motivates you to be a better artist, model builder, or whatever you're into.

I don't use any social media at all. I must be a different youngster nowadays! ;D I think these forums are the best place to meet friends and see what other people have completed.

I was Anti FB for years then i broke down ::) but i do seem to be on there more than on the forums but i think mostly that's because i wasn't building for a few months, now im working my way back in so hopefully ill be back on here more often

I don't see the two things in the same way at all. I have facebook but that's just to keep in touch with people I know.

I come to model forums for models and talk about models. I don't find facebook very good for that at all.

I find an amazing amount of modeling on FB. I'm "friends" with Kow Yokohama- how cool is that? :D Facebook is how all my non-modeling friends see my nerdly achievements- old pals, comics artists compatriots, cg industry peeps- as well as modelers from around the world who don't frequent English-speaking forums. That said, I still post my work in good old fashioned model forums for the close contact with my styrene peers- they are still the best place to learn in interact with like-minded hobbyists, and get the best info on new products, kits specs and reviews, etc.

This is my 2nd post. I lurk a lot but I'm learning a lot from this site. I don't belong to FB or any other social media group. I use 2 forms SMA & The whistle post model RR form. I belong to a couple of others, but rarely go on them. I haven't put a model together in prob. over 30 years. "only one then" In my opinion forms are the way to go. You can search for things and find stuff more easy on forms. some other sites I browsed on, the comments are rude, hateful, and or not close to the subject. Love this form. For model RR whistle post. There you can learn a lot for dios.
I also lurk around youtube,

P.S. several of my friends and family's FB page got hacked on one or more occasions.

Just my 2 cents.

SMA only. Don't have social and don't care for the tude on other model forums.

Latest posts

Back