Hasegawa 1/72 MiG-29 help

nicholassagan

sippin on gin + juice
So I just got one...it's the kit with the Farnborough weapons. Now the cockpit definitely needs upgrading so I plan on getting the Verlinden seats...but what's out there in terms of other PE and detailing for this kit?

hasegawa_1_72_mig_29_fulcrum_farnborugh-400-400.jpg

Personally I'd save the aftermarket for a nicer 1/72 MiG-29. Aires makes a lot of stuff for 1/72 MiG-29s, but I'm not sure if any of it is specific to the Hasegawa kit. However, even if designed for the Hasegawa kit you would likely need to do some work to get it to fit. QuickBoost makes some stuff as well, and it's cast by Aires. This site ( http://www.lindenhillimports.com/ ) may also have some stuff.

There is not really a best kit for a 1/72 MiG-29 and it also depends if you want a MiG-29A (9-12) or a MiG-29C (9-13) If you're shooting for accuracy, the Airfix may be the best kit, but it's not the easiest to build. Italeri is along the same lines and was reboxed by Bilek ICM made a new kit a couple years ago which is not too bad. I think ICM makes the only decent C, but I'm not sure.

Personally I would avoid Hasegawa's, Fujimi's and Revell's 1/72 MiG-29s.

This lists all the 1/72 MiG-29 kits and accessories, but some will be long OOP. You can also go to the homepage and use it to look up any aircraft you would like to model in 1/72.
http://www.72scale.com/aircraft/MiG/MiG-29.htm

SoarinSukhoi said:
Personally I would avoid Hasegawa's, Fujimi's and Revell's 1/72 MiG-29s.

I wish I heard your advise sooner. I bought Hasegawa F/A-18D, my biggest complaint is the cockpit that lacks detail. I had to use decals for the instrument panels. There are no aftermarket kits for a D model. As far as I know...

Fork Virus said:
I wish I heard your advise sooner. I bought Hasegawa F/A-18D, my biggest complaint is the cockpit that lacks detail. I had to use decals for the instrument panels. There are no aftermarket kits for a D model. As far as I know...

A lot of 1/72 kits don't have cockpit detail and use decals instead. The only thing I know of for a 1/72 F-18D cockpit are a couple of Eduard P.E. sets. Hasegawa's 1/72 F-18s are old kits. The newer Academy 1/72 F-18 kits are better overall.

Aires make a set with seats for the 1/72 Hornets, get 2 in a pack, but otherwise they only do a F/A-18C pit for the HSG kits. Lots of wheels, burner cans and such....but nothing else cockpit wise.

SoarinSukhoi said:
Fork Virus said:

A lot of 1/72 kits don't have cockpit detail and use decals instead. The only thing I know of for a 1/72 F-18D cockpit are a couple of Eduard P.E. sets. Hasegawa's 1/72 F-18s are old kits. The newer Academy 1/72 F-18 kits are better overall.

I went for the Hasegawa cuz cost me 20 bucks. The Academy version cost 30, that's why I went el'cheapo.

Elm City Hobbies said:
Aires make a set with seats for the 1/72 Hornets, get 2 in a pack, but otherwise they only do a F/A-18C pit for the HSG kits. Lots of wheels, burner cans and such....but nothing else cockpit wise.

Yeah, I thought about the seats, but I really wanted a 1/72 cockpit for the D model.

Sorry for going off topic on your post nicholassagan :p, hopefully you got some pics on your progress pretty soon!

no worries. ;)

i'm actually really OK with the hasegawa, too...although the ICM kit is now on my wishlist

the panel lines are so finely scribed they might need to be deepened just a little bit.
i think ill also pick up the nozzles and cockpit parts, as the hsg kit is sorely lacking.

SoarinSukhoi said:
...Italeri is along the same lines and was reboxed by Bilek...
I picked up an Italeri Mig-29 UB in the fall - haven't started it yet but it looks pretty decent in the box. I'll see what kind of surprises await me when I start building!

Latest posts

Back