Hairspray questions

Grendels said:
the Baron said:
You could also use the pump hair spray and decant that for airbrushing, couldn't you.

That is what I did, but mine had a screw top, so I didn't have to decant

Right, that's what I meant, thanks for clarifying! :D

Glorfindel said:
Love the chipping method. My fault is that I never lay enough hair spray down. Two coats next time. Two coats!

That, and a good amount of kosher salt. The granules are the perfect size for this effect.

Ok guys, started my experiment today. Wouldn't you know it I couldn't find and pump spray at the super market. Not to worry went foraging in my wife's vanity cabinet, she only had about six different varieties to choose from.... ::) decanted easily with a straw into my airbrush. But I'm getting ahead of myself. So I pulled out a willys jeep that I started eons ago and totally lost interest in.

Before shot.

905e93e1e0912ff77c452c91091708db_zps61a657d3.jpg

I started with red brown and slowly built up the rust colour with different shades, haven't got any orange paint so mixed Tamiya red and yellow. Was a bit of trial and error, still not 100% happy with the end colour, but what the hey.

Finished with a couple of coats of the wife's finest hairspray ;D

c9c1027f859c6802b87fff0d616321d6_zpsfa5bb1ea.jpg

323414aaad4ebfd1f520049a2709a486_zps8313d813.jpg

cbdba2ecd76a4c48c5e6aee57bbedd76_zps49d43efe.jpg

Tomorrow I will spray it again with olive drab and have at it!

Any comments or suggestions before I try it would be welcome.

Cheers :)

There isn't much to say Rookie. I think this should turn out fine. Just spray the paint a little thinner in areas where you want extra chipping and worn paint. I've made the mistake before of putting the paint on too thick. If this happens you can turn to 50% alcohol to loosen the paint instead of water. Just don't soak it on or it will remove all your paint.

make sure you thin the paint with water this will help break it down

Using water to thin the paint instead of the native thinner gives the paint a weaker bond on the kit, which makes it easier to chip.

Well turned out to be a bit of a disaster really... :mad: I think I rushed a bit. I painted on a little warm water and when it wouldn't chip I painted on more. I should have let the water sit a little longer because in the end it got too soft a started coming away too much. Like a dufus I started on the hood as well, only the most visible part of the model.. :-[

005-Copy4_zps9b52fbb7.jpg
006-Copy4_zps8351a175.jpg

This is more the effect I was after.

007-Copy4_zps795be2d3.jpg

I think I will still go ahead and finish this up, with a wash and some chipping might not look so bad
008-Copy4_zps838e2108.jpg

Glad I took your advice to practice, I know what to do next time. Going to have to rethink my paint job for BSC entry though.

Cheers :)

when you wet it let it sit for a few mins then start working the paint, practice makes perfect :)

Latest posts

Back