Hairspray questions

rookie

This is not a toy
G'day folks,
I'm thinking about trying the hairspray technique on my next build and have a few questions

1 . Which is best, aerosol or pump spray?
2 . Can both of these be applied directly from the bottle or do they both need to be decanted into your AB ?
3 . Is one coat enough or is the number of coats dependant on the level of chipping you want ?
4 . What's best to clean up with if using your AB ?

Thanks in advance :)

Rookie, the aerosol type is the best as you get a fine mist

you can spray right from teh can or decant i prefer to decant it as i have more control over it.

2 coats is enough,

i use ab cleaner or water.

and practice on a scrap model before you comit to your build to see how it works.

you also have the choice of the AK chipping fluids, Mig and Vallejo do these also. and they do not smell but will cost you more than a can of hsp.

hope this helps

Thanks guys, will give it a go on a half finished willys jeep I have and see how it comes out. Ak and Mig products as rare as rocking horse poop in Australia, so I think I'll try it out with the hairspray first.

ah well hsp it is then :) Tamiya paint chips better than Vallejo also

I did an experiment with this a while ago. Make sure you do experiment. The thickness of the layer of hairspray is critical. If it is too thin, you will not get chips at all.

when you do spray it make sure you do your passes nice and even dont stop half way trough your pass.

I dunno about Tamiya chipping better, check out this tutorial by Vallejo on their Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=583472321681834&set=a.583472251681841.141601.267763626586040&type=1&permPage=1

Using all Vallejo products including their chipping fluid

69210_583474235014976_39787951_n.jpg

Pretty impressive to me. Maybe it has something to do with Vallejo Air vs Vallejo Model Color, who knows.

thats with there chipping medium, i know first hand Vallejo dont chip as well as tamiya, noting wrong with Vallejo apart from it dont chip so well, i would love to try there chipping fluid with it tough

You could also use the pump hair spray and decant that for airbrushing, couldn't you.

the Baron said:
You could also use the pump hair spray and decant that for airbrushing, couldn't you.

That is what I did, but mine had a screw top, so I didn't have to decant

spud said:
thats with there chipping medium, i know first hand Vallejo dont chip as well as tamiya, noting wrong with Vallejo apart from it dont chip so well, i would love to try there chipping fluid with it tough

I would tend to agree, but this article is making me start to wonder.

482305_583474675014932_1609291289_n.jpg

Looks pretty darn good chipping to me, and he used all Vallejo products. Like I said, maybe it is the difference of using the Vallejo Air instead of the Model Color, I dunno. When I did it on my Zero, the Vallejo came off in sheets in some parts, but I was using a Model Color top coat, so who knows. May have to experiment a bit with my Coyote!! Not that it would be beat up that much though.

You can also use AK interactive products, they have 2 different fuild, one for bigger chip and the other for smaller chips. I tried them and they work really well and there is plenty of information on how to use them on AK blogs.

he doesnt have access to them RT best thing to do is use what is recommended and that is an aerosol of hsp

Thanks for all the info guys, Scott will get round to watching that vid tonight. Practice seems like the general consensus, without that advice I would have just gone for it and probably ruined my build :p

Think I will try and find a pump pack hairspray at the supermarket and decant into the AB. Will post my results here when done.

One final question... rule of thumb for drying time, 24 hours ?

rookie said:
Thanks for all the info guys, Scott will get round to watching that vid tonight. Practice seems like the general consensus, without that advice I would have just gone for it and probably ruined my build :p

Think I will try and find a pump pack hairspray at the supermarket and decant into the AB. Will post my results here when done.

One final question... rule of thumb for drying time, 24 hours ?

For the hairspray, don't know as if it really matters, as long as it is dry. Same with your top coat of paint, basically as soon as it is dry, hit it with water and start chipping.

Doesn't really matter how long the hairspray/chipping fluid sits, the BTR50 I am working on the layer of chipping fluid was probably on there for 2-3 months before I put a top coat on, and it still chipped properly (actually even when I was painting he top coat, I could see that the water in the paint was starting to affect the chipping fluid).

The top coat of paint however, as soon as it is dry, start hitting it with water and chipping it. Again, my BTR, I painted it in the afternoon, and started chipping it that evening, but only got the sides, front and back done, and waited until the next day to do the top, and it was infinitely harder to chip the next day as it as the night before, really had to scrub at it to get any chips off.

Go look at the last set of photos I posted on it,

http://www.scalemodeladdict.com/index.php/topic,6647.0.html

The sides (IMO) are much better chipped than the top is, and it is simply because I waiting until the next day to do the top, and the chips didn't come off as easily.

once its dry to touch like 15 mins you are good to go. the paint i let for about 20 mins then attack it

Just to put forth an alternate view here, I've found the Tamiya paint to be fairly resistant and the vallejo acrylics to chip much easier. Although I might have used a different technique.

I guess the bottom line as artists, whatever works for you is what works. ;)

Love the chipping method. My fault is that I never lay enough hair spray down. Two coats next time. Two coats!

Latest posts

Back