Gundam?????

Drpepeprz

I'm thinking about making a gundam for my kid for xmas....never done anything like that before is there anything i should know or different tools i shoudl get before getting started??

THX!

Gundams are very different than other models. They come molded in color, so some don't paint them. They are very well engineered kits, so painting can actually be a big challenge. Since the parts fit so tightly, you often have to sand the parts so that once painted, they can still move.

The also come in various grades.

RG: they are 1/144 scale, very well engineered, and articulated. They are also not very expensive.
HG: Kind of the lower line. Scale varies, and the details are soft, and the mobile suits are not very articulate.
MG: The deluxe model. Well detailed, articulated, usually 1/100 scale.
PG: This is the top of the line, expensive, very well detailed, indivual fingers will move on the hands. Expect to pay $200 minimum for one. 1/60 scale.

Mega sized. 1/48 scale, not the best detail, just very large.

You can find out more information here:

http://www.scalemodeladdict.com/SMF/index.php/topic,6938.0.html

Like usual Grendels you got the exact info i was looking for! XD

I've seen the local comic book store started selling them, i'll keep that info in mind when i go shopping :)

i would also suggest researching which models are really good. by that i mean which ones don't fall apart in your hands due to poor connection or poor design choice in mobility, looks, connections , etc...

depending on how old your kid is, you could consider SD (Super deformed) gundam models as well. These are all cute and drwarflike, I think Chibi is the term used mostly.

Beork said:
depending on how old your kid is, you could consider SD (Super deformed) gundam models as well. These are all cute and drwarflike, I think Chibi is the term used mostly.

And most of these are quite fun to build.

Back