Gundam Kyrios

MrNatural

my head is falling off my head
Almost to the paint stage of my other entry so figured I go ahead and enter another one to break up the monotony of working on the same thing all the time... maybe im crazy ;D
Well here it is Bandai's Gundam Kyrios, 11 sprues all together lots of painting check it out..

001-22.jpg
002-22.jpg
003-21.jpg
004-19.jpg
005-17.jpg
006-15.jpg
007-13.jpg
I've never seen a sprue like this in a Gundam Kit, its like really extra soft rubber parts
008-10.jpg
009-5.jpg
010-2.jpg
011-3.jpg
usual sprue of polycaps and bushings
012-5.jpg

thanks guys no progress report yet just been cleaning up a few parts. I started painting my other entry today so i'll be working on this in between coats for sure hopefully have a big update by this weekend.

party on!

Alright. got a little work done on this nothing crazy, just step 1. these bandai kits always go together beautifully and easily, but when trying to paint one of these there are always 3 or 4 different colors to manage this can be challenging when you have a seam line on a multi colored part. I usually run into this with the arms. so i label every part with its original color so i dont get confused.
001-25.jpg
006-16.jpg
primered
010-3.jpg
this guy transforms into a jet. first gundam i've built with a canopy to deal with
005-18.jpg

That is one of the things about Gundams, the go together so well, but painting them is another challenge in and of itself.

Keep us updated!!

cool. so here we go. lots of airbrushing. finished painting the first batch of parts.

internal structure parts tamiya metallic grey
IMG_0376.jpg
IMG_0377.jpg
IMG_0378.jpg

im trying to achieve a gradient effect with the outer armor parts so i first based each part with a dark color and then faded a lighter color on top. with these parts im working with tamiya orange and flat red. this effect definitely works better with colors that compliment each other. hopefully the camera gets the idea across.

based flat red
IMG_0381.jpg
IMG_0382.jpg
IMG_0380.jpg

based orange
IMG_0383.jpg

orange on top of red
IMG_0390.jpg
IMG_0388.jpg
IMG_0391.jpg

red on top of orange, in this case im spraying dark over light but since the colors compliment each other it still has a nice effect imo
IMG_0392.jpg

this helmet is really nice because its going to be easy to deal with in terms of painting because it goes together with no resulting seam lines. on all the other gundam models i've built the helmet had a seam line so i would have to assemble the helmet, seal the seam, paint the face, mask the face, paint the rest of the helmet. i can just paint each part separately with this one.
IMG_0372.jpg

another batch of parts primered up
IMG_0387.jpg

just for kicks thought i would share my current professional high tech airbrushing station with you guys.
i used to have a house with a garage with a nice set up but my new house has no garage or spare room to airbrush in so i have to utilize the corner of my patio in the back yard. 8)
IMG_0385.jpg

A very nice update! The colors you are using look good together, and you can tell in the later photos just what it is your are trying to do. Should look good in the end.

sorry to leave yall hangin, not enough time in a day lately, been workin steadily on this guy tryin to meet the contest deadline, with a solid two weeks left i think im in good shape, here's a quick view of where im at..

everything here has been painted and awaiting further details..
005-20.jpg
002-28.jpg

Parts im currently working on, the upper leg parts have been painted metallic grey and now need to be masked off to receive some white

006-17.jpg

wish i could show more of the process just way to busy :p

catch yall on the flip

Thank you for the update. I have stayed away from the Gundams because of all the planning that goes into painting one up correctly. Looks like you have that mastered!

Back