Group builds?

For WWII I have the Stug I'm working on, a Panther, a Tiger I, P-47, and a P-51, so I may be up for it.

:D Pretty all encompassing.

I'm in then .
I was going to say I'm in if it's something I already have since I'm not buying any new kits .
Give me a reason to start something else .

I'm not buying any new kits .
*must shred....credit.....card.....* That's 1/2 of my battle, ah, I'll buy this now and build it later.

*Looks around storage room 12 years later wondering where all these model kits came from....*

I encourage folks to do it, it can be fun, and it can help encourage those who otherwise have trouble finishing.

One theme that is an encouragement to finish a build, is a Shelf of Doom group build. We did this in our club a couple of times. Everyone who participated picked a build he had, already in progress but stalled-on the Shelf of Doom. In January, we presented our entries, and then we worked on those throughout the year. The finish was at our December meeting. I actually entered three builds, and it did help to have the group build going, for me to finish each one.

Having said that, I don't join group builds on forums anymore, because I have too many started and stalled projects on my Shelf of Doom, to start any new ones.

I would be interested. I would have an excuse to pick up that B-17 I have been wish listing

An interesting group build I’d heard of years ago was a build of older kits. Pre-80’s, but you had to build with old school techniques. No rescribing, no photoetch, no 3D parts. Out of the box. Not as easy as you’d think, was a very common comment.
I’d be okay with rescribing around seams.
Fair enough.
Photoetch would be a group call. Some of the first PE I’ve saw was dated in the late 60’s.
If y’all remember FotoCut, Fred’s first PE was spoked wheels and prop hub bosses, from the 60’s. What a great guy he was.
Definitely no 3D. I don’t think it qualifies. Not against it mind you, it doesn’t fit the theme.
But, yeah I’m good with anything goes. I’m in.

Time limit? 6 months? One year?
All you can build? Adversaries?
How about an Iron Man build?
Armor, Aircraft, Naval. You could replace one with a figurine build. Skies the limit.

Last edited:
No rescribing...
Not to rescribe panel lines would have to be a group call, too. While it has become more common, rescribing isn't an invention of the 2000's, or even the 90s or 80s. There were guys doing that back in the 60s, too, when they felt they needed to, to produce a more accurate representation of the subject (it's not always correct to remove raised panel lines and rescribe them, anyway, it really depends on the subject).

Yes sir, fair enough. Those ancients may have been rescribing across seam lines all along and I may not have been aware of it.
And who am I to yell ‘foul’ if somebody wants to rescribe a Monogram P-39? I’d be more willing to take that person’s call at 3:00 a.m.

Still some things to bang out I suppose.

This kinda’ lost a tail wind here.
Any interest in this still?
Nine months, till the end of the year.

I really don't have any WW2 kits, I don't even have any autos from that era ⚆_⚆

So I wouldn't be able to participate in what you've laid out above (unless we're doing 80's and older tooled kits) but I'd be down to clown if something I already own falls into the group build category!

Actually looking at my stash I have some 1/35 WW2 figs, but that is it. So I could use this as an excuse to actually try some figure painting.

I think it'd be cool to go with the shelf of doom... Any project you can finish in the next 2 or 3 months... That way we don't loose the interest either... Spanning an entire year might be too long.

My2cents

I think it'd be cool to go with the shelf of doom... Any project you can finish in the next 2 or 3 months... That way we don't loose the interest either... Spanning an entire year might be too long.

My2cents
BTL, my only reasoning for that is to not put pressure on anyone to get it done within a certain time frame. Three month builds might not appeal to everyone. Neither do, maybe year long builds, but I’m just messing.
How those builders get those 48 hour builds done is besides me. FSM years ago, had stated it takes about 20-30 to complete the average model kit. I suppose. Mine are spread across several millennia, but under 50 hours.
Not that this build would take preference over anything one your bench. It’s just a hobby.
ScaleMates, if I may mention them here, have several every year that go from a couple months to some currently to the end of the year.
You want to participate in a SBD Daultless build if that is the only group build, you have till December to finish it.

I have been eying a Trumpeter 1/700 Yorktown so that would fit the WWII category

Although looking over kits I had as a kid, I still have a LInberg (I think) motorized kit of it.

It is a mess, pieces are missing, and the corner of the deck is broken off.

Wouldn't mind seeing if I could find one of those old kits and give it another go, this time doing a much better build and not destroying it by using it as a toy

I have been eying a Trumpeter 1/700 Yorktown so that would fit the WWII category

Although looking over kits I had as a kid, I still have a LInberg (I think) motorized kit of it.

It is a mess, pieces are missing, and the corner of the deck is broken off.

Wouldn't mind seeing if I could find one of those old kits and give it another go, this time doing a much better build and not destroying it by using it as a toy
I could go for a carrier build as well and Yorktown is a great subject. Alterntively, yesterday being the 80th anniversary of the Doolittle Raid, the Hornet with 16 B-25’s on the flight deck could be fun.

Latest posts

Back