Greetings

BigDave

Hi all. My name is Dave. I used to build models as a kid. My favorite was probably my Revell Gemini capsule or 1937 Cord L29. I also had a thing for Ford Rancheros when I was little, probably because we had a Ford Falcon and a Ranchero was basically a Ford falcon with the back chopped off to make a pick up truck, which fascinated me when I was about six. Built a couple of those. Sadly, I don't have any of those models anymore. But a while back I found myself in a model shop for some reason and I spotted a 1966 VW Beetle. It probably won't surprise anyone around a forum like this that I bought it because we owned a 1966 Beetle.

My eyes are in nowhere like the condition they were in back in the model building days of my youth. I have some helping hands and magnifiers and stuff that I hope will helpso I'm mainly here looking for tips about detailing (and reasonably priced building supplies). Naturally, I'm going to paint the car the same color as the one we had, and if I can find one, my ultimate version of this model will have an appropriately scaled Christmas tree strapped to the back (part of a family backstory). Looking forward to reading and learning.

Going to be looking at the tips and tutorials for a bit. I see some of the more... ‘intense’... builders make spray booths and whatnot. Im not getting in that deep but want it to look good when I’m done.

Hey Dave.

Yeah, you don’t need to get all of the ‘like to get’
items right away. Ease into it.
I guessing paint is probably what you need to talk about first.
First question, where you going to be able to do this at? Inside, outside. Your own cave?

Hey Dave.

Yeah, you don’t need to get all of the ‘like to get’
items right away. Ease into it.
I guessing paint is probably what you need to talk about first.
First question, where you going to be able to do this at? Inside, outside. Your own cave?
Inside, basement, for spray painting the body. Detailing can be done pretty much anywhere- and using small brushes, toothpicks or the like I guess? This is where I need to look at some ‘how-to’s’. Most of my knowledge dates from the Johnson administration LOL

Last edited:
Yeah they will work.
Basement and inside will be great. Keep
the air circulating and you be doing fine.
Better yet, extract outside.
You can spray anything, as long it doesn’t
bother the rest of the house you’ll be golden.
I always have a tough time with lighting.
You can never have enough.

Yes! Greetings and Welcome Aboard....
You'll quickly discover, that this is a great forum [and exchange area], truly wonderful folks, and some very, VERY talent people; Whom enjoy sharing and helping others out - One of the better sites 'out there' and one of my favorite's.
AND I appreciate the aspect of 'senior modelling', as I have slowly started adjusting to, after 60+ years, getting back into the community [with failing eyesight - arthritis - other health 'issues' - And what-not]. But, I still enjoy 'escaping' into the world-of-model-building [Am teaching a 5 yr old, now it's joy's...]
Good lighting - a decent chair and working desk - 'cheaters' for the eyes - some decent/quality tools are a MUST; I have found - And one is set, for this relaxing hobby... Which I've enjoyed off-n-on, all these years.
So welcome a board, and have fun; For that's what it is all about -

Hi all. My name is Dave. I used to build models as a kid. My favorite was probably my Revell Gemini capsule or 1937 Cord L29. I also had a thing for Ford Rancheros when I was little, probably because we had a Ford Falcon and a Ranchero was basically a Ford falcon with the back chopped off to make a pick up truck, which fascinated me when I was about six. Built a couple of those. Sadly, I don't have any of those models anymore. But a while back I found myself in a model shop for some reason and I spotted a 1966 VW Beetle. It probably won't surprise anyone around a forum like this that I bought it because we owned a 1966 Beetle.

My eyes are in nowhere like the condition they were in back in the model building days of my youth. I have some helping hands and magnifiers and stuff that I hope will helpso I'm mainly here looking for tips about detailing (and reasonably priced building supplies). Naturally, I'm going to paint the car the same color as the one we had, and if I can find one, my ultimate version of this model will have an appropriately scaled Christmas tree strapped to the back (part of a family backstory). Looking forward to reading and learning.
Welcome aboard Dave. Funny you mention the Ranchero. My roommate in college had one. We wrecked it Racing a Camero on Main Street.
Yes, my eyes aren't like they once were, thank goodness for Dollar Store cheater glasses.
Recreating a family vehicle through a model would be awesome. I bought a a '73 C-10 Chevy Truck a couple of weeks ago to try to recreate my wife's grandfather's farm truck.

Looking forward to see your builds.

I'm not at my bench to give you accurate information on some of the detail tools I have. I do a lot of bargain shopping.
Pin vise bits, rat-tail files, emery boards and nail polishing block or sticks are great. Crafting stores and_or amazon has many alternatives most at very reasonable prices.
I hope I was able to help you a little. Many others here will be able to guide you better.

Hi Dave, I'm late to the party but welcome. Pantherman

Woops also another late one Dave. But then I am old.

Look forward to seeing your work.

Wow only 66 tut jealous.

Where do you come from Dave ?

Laurie of Jersey

Latest posts

Back