Green Tide II / Hot Recovery (WH40K diorama)

Hey guys,
haven't posted anything worthwhile for quite some time.

But it seems as if the hobby itch is back :D
The idea bouncing in my head is based on "Stemming the Green Tide" mixed with the "Tomb Raider" fluff section.
An expedition of the Crimson Guards sent to recover a valuable artifact. Not sure if it will be on Dencara or on another planet...
Just as they have finally discovered the sacred item and are about to recover it, they are attacked by Orks.
So it will be a "last stand" type of battle in a temple(?) ruin with the Crimson Guards against Orks.
From a composition point of view there will be a throne like feature at the top end of a long (stair) rise lit by blue-ish moonlight (a beam coming through a crack in the roof?), while the actual fighting, lit by the gun flashes will happen on the stairs below, with most of the Orks attacking out of the dark.
hopefully

So, with this bouncing around my brain cage, I raided my Space Marine bits box.
764530_sm-.jpg

Unfortunately I'm no longer in the possession of the Space Hulk throne piece with the dead Marine, but hey..."Selbst ist der Mann"
764821_sm-.jpg

Still plenty of cleanup and GreenStuff necessary.
764822_sm-.jpg

Some of the basic fighting poses - though I think I will not do the Flamer, the cinematic effect would draw too much attention.
764823_sm-.jpg

These two in hand-to-hand combat - not sure if it will be a fist fight, or if the Marine will have a sword....
764824_sm-.jpg

A fallen Marine in his last defense...
764825_sm-.jpg

This will also be more of a hand-to-hand, close-in pose - maybe an Ork striking down with a big axe.
764826_sm-.jpg

And (if I can make it look convincing) a downed Marine with an Ork on his back, trying to suffocate or choke him.
764827_sm-.jpg

Well, this is as far as I got.
I think I will start building up the stairs next, so I can work on finalizing the poses.

What do you think?
Ideas, suggestions?
I look forward to your feedback.
Cheers
Klaus

That last dude looks like he's break-dancing ;D

He even has his own piece of cardboard :eek:

Madness

Sorry about your cat ,,, glad you're back at this .

I like these - - you'll have the muzzle blasts and what-not ?

Very cool ,
Uru

Thanks guys!

@urumomo - thanks - I hope it'll look a bit more serious than brake dance in the end ;)
Yes, I plan on adding all the cinematic effects - like muzzle flashes and OSL
:D

Well, I hope your festivity preparations are well underway and you're not too stressed out to enjoy some hobby time :)

With the basic Marine actors assembled I started to build up the environment.
First was the throne and its platform.
765751_sm-.jpg

The brick-factory working at full capacity :)
765752_sm-The%20brick%20works.jpg

Slowly building up the base - with some Styrofoam as support. Two columns at the lower end to give the scene a frame.
While the PVA takes some time to cure, I use a ruler and some weight (a bunch of SuperSculpey packs) to keep the bricks in position and leveled.
765753_sm-.jpg

Most of the brickwork completed.
765754_sm-.jpg

The throne as center piece in the back. A first position test with the Marines.
765755_sm-.jpg

Not 100% sure, but I think this will be balanced enough, with the top 3 Marines providing light with their muzzle flashes, while the lower areas will be darker - maybe some light effects form the energy blades?
765756_sm-.jpg

Then I created some skeletons from the original struggle, hundreds of years ago...
765757_sm-.jpg

Only a dead Ork is a good Ork?
765760_sm-.jpg
765759_sm-.jpg

Plus the two dead throne-guards
765758_sm-.jpg

Still needs a lot of cleanup, detailing, and of course the attacking Orks.
But I hope it already gives a good impression of how it will look in the end.
I look forward to your feedback and suggestions.
Cheers
Klaus

Hee hee ;D

you're molding the stones ( bricks ) in PVA ?
What exactly are you using ?

Thanks ,
Uru

urumomo said:
Hee hee ;D

you're molding the stones ( bricks ) in PVA ?
What exactly are you using ?

Thanks ,
Uru
Hey Uru,
no, the bricks are cast with Stewalin ( http://www.amazon.de/Troll-Factory-Stewalin-weiss-Box/dp/B0056BG3SQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1450865294&sr=8-2&keywords=Stewalin ) which is very a very nice plaster available here in Germany - not sure the alternative in your location.

Thanks Quaralane :)

In discussing the build in another forum, I had the sudden urge to add an Indiana-Jones-Style character.
The initial idea was to add a human, based on IG parts. But that wouldn't really make sense with my Crimson Guardians Space Marines - they wouldn't be accompanied, or even bossed around by a mere human.
So I decided to use a Marine with a Apothecary weapon and a head with a hat - it's one of the excellent Mad Robot Miniatures Boonie Hats.
765881_sm-Headless%20Nick%3F.jpg

And with a bit of GreenStuff to give it a "neck" the head fits really nicely.
765884_sm-Indiana%20Jones.jpg

If I recall correctly Dr. Jones is always carrying a satchel-bag, isn't he?
765885_sm-.jpg
Well, he'll definitely will get a whip.

Anvildude (on DakkaDakka) suggested that the Ork skeletons pants should be more carved out, as they are too well filled out.
Weeeell...
I gave it a try...
765882_sm-.jpg

But I have to say for my taste it is too much work for too little effect. What do you say?
765883_sm-.jpg

That's as far as I got last night.
But here is another positioning shot.
The (currently still Blood Angels) Termie is the central piece and will be the focal point and also the source of most of the light (hopefully).
765886_sm-.jpg

As you can see by the small rod, his fire will be aimed at the (not yet existing) Ork strangling the Marine on the floor.
765887_sm-.jpg

I have to add an Ork directly in front of the guy with the hammer, one to the kneeling guy on the left, and the one "Strangler".
Green indicates the Orks, yellow the muzzle flashes, and blue the power blades.
765888_sm-Picasso%20.jpg
Too busy?

Whaddaya think?

Cheers

Klaus

All right .
Exciting ;D

Thanks for the clarification on the casting material , Klaus .
I misinterpreted what you had written .

So these guys don't clean up their dead ? Ever ?

:eek:

Happy New Year!
I hope you had a great time with family and friends and a time well spent away from work, school and all those other routine chores.
My wife and I were in Belgium for a view days and celebrated New Years in Brussels (guarded by soldiers). We visited Bruges, Ghent and Brussels - wonderful cities :)

Thank you all - I hope you all had a great start into the new year.
@Quaralane - Thanks Mate! :)
@urumomo - weeeeell :) I still have to work out the exact "fluff", but in general the (skeleton) Space Marines fended off the last Ork attack, to protect the sacred item, but then were too weak to do anything else, and the whole temple/shrine and its sacred item was forgotten and lost in time.
And now, as the Space Marines re-discover the artifact, the Orks are also on the lookpuit for it and a race to recover the artifact starts...
that's the idea :D

Well, before we left for Belgium I worked on the diorama and planned to complete it.
Most of the Marines got their opponents.
And I worked on the slayer.
768555_sm-Slayer.jpg

I added some debris and the individuals received details (like purity seals, pouches etc.)
Then I sculpted some muzzle flashes using ProCreate.
768556_sm-Muzzle%20Flashes.jpg

With the remaining PC I sculpted some ripped and torn tapestry.
768557_sm-Tapestry.jpg

At this point I was pleased and considered the diorama built phase completed.
Hmm, maybe some spider webs?
So I created some tiny plastic strands using a candle.
768558_sm-creating%20fine%20strings.jpg

And then I glued some in position to simulated spider webs....
768559_sm-Spider%20web%3F.jpg

Not so sure if it really works. I will probably have to try something else.

But at this state I left for Belgium.
Coming back, I decided I need some more Orks at the lower end - to show the brunt of the attack just arriving.
768560_sm-Green%20Tide%20II.jpg

And I decided that I want a counter figure to the central Terminator.
How about an Ork Banner Bearer?
768561_sm-Ork%20Banner%20Bearer.jpg

This could be fun!

So I sculpted a flag from ProCreate. And this is how it all looks now.
768562_sm-Charge.jpg
768563_sm-.jpg
768564_sm-.jpg

I think this will work.
What do you think?
I look forward to your comments and suggestions!
Cheers
Klaus

All-Rite All-Rite All-Rite ;D

I'm liking it !

I like the spider-web idea ,
You probably need something finer .
Maybe cotton fiber or fiberglass fibers ???

Can't wait for the color

Sounds like you had a great New Year !

Cheers ,
Uru

Thank you mate :)

I created a little video of the diorama
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_U94sbiOFY[/youtube]

And wrote a stroy to it:
The Carp'A San - Raiders of the Lost Light
Raiders of the Lost Light is a diorama depicting the dramatic moments of the recovery of the Sacred Light of Jerusalem.
The Sacred Light of Jerusalem is one of the 13 sacred items of the Ka'An, which can be used in a complex rite to resurrect and revive the Emperors body, freeing him from the Golden Throne.
The Sacred Light of Jerusalem was forgotten many centuries ago and lost in time. It is believed that it was last held in a sanctuary on Persifas 3 in the Palagam system.
Here it was guarded by the **CENSORED** Chapter of the Space Marines. During the great Waaagh of Ork Boss Cham Bamm-Bumm the entire planet was ransacked and devastated. The Marines fought a valiant battle, but in the end the planet was lost.
A small contingent of the **CENSORED** was able to defend the Sacred Light of Jerusalem, but the survivors were too weak to leave the remains of the sanctuary and so the Carp'a-San, as it was also called, vanished in the maelstrom of time.
According to the legend of Ka'An, he who can gather the 13 sacred items and combines them in a complicated rite of utter complexity will gain the power to heal and revive any corpus, be it merely human or even divine, and bring it eternal youth and vitality. So Chief Librarian Zastavus and the Supreme Grand Master of the *CENSORED** (OX) send their companies on the hunt for these items time and again.
Recent events and encounters seem to indicate that other races are also aware of the legend of Ka’An and seek to rein its power. So the treasure hunt of the Officium **CENSORED** has now become a race and Chief Librarian Zastavus has called his forces to Operation “Ultima Preces” in which they are to find the remaining artifacts at even greater speed.
Latest reports indicate that a large contingent of Crimson Guardians under Captain Senoj has landed on Persifas 3. Maybe here the Crimson Guardians can find the Carp'A San, the Sacred Light of Jerusalem, one of the few remaining items of the legend of Ka’An.
Unknown to Senoj and the Marines a large group of Orks landed on the other side of Persifas 3 and is also on the hunt for the Carp'A San, or the 'Elluffazapp as the Orks call it.
The diorama captures the moment Senoj discovers the Sacred Light - just as the Orks storm the sanctuary...
Vicious hand-to-hand fighting and murderous Bolter fire erupts.
Unpainted the scene looks chaotic and crowded. But battle is chaos.
Captain Senoj reaches for the Carp'a San.
Brother von Ritter stands his ground against the merciless Orks.
Can the Marines stem the Green Tide or will the Orks be victorious?
What do you think?
Cheers
Klaus

Thank you Quaralane!

With the fluff written up and the stage set, I prepared for painting.

First I removed the actors and pinned them onto the cork.
769224_sm-.jpg

And while the primed models dried I installed my new light.
This is currently only the test version, using more tape than screws :)
769225_sm-.jpg
So far it seems to work properly, so I will mount it permanently soon.

After all the models were primed I re-mounted them and affixed them with some rubber glue (Fixogum)
769226_sm-.jpg

And then I started to work with the airbrush.
769227_sm-.jpg

This is NOT the actual paint job - this is only my light reference and I will repaint everything.
769228_sm-.jpg

But it gives me a very good idea of how the scene will look.
769229_sm-.jpg

And if I need additional light sources or where to emphasize to structure the scene better.
769230_sm-.jpg

But I think this will work out as intended - don't you think?
769231_sm-.jpg

With the light setting in mind, I repainted the skeleton guards first.
As you can see I use very desaturated colors - this will also help to emphasize some of the light effects later.
769232_sm-.jpg

Once the two guards have their base colors all done, I will give them an inking with black, and maybe an additional blue layer. After that I will add the shadows and highlights - using the previous images as reference.
I hope you like today's update and I look forward to your feedback and suggestions.
Cheers
klaus

Very cool ,
But , what about the light ? ???

That's for the dio or your bench-top ?

Cheers !

Uru

urumomo said:
Very cool ,
But , what about the light ? ???

That's for the dio or your bench-top ?

Cheers !

Uru

Hey Uru,
it is my new LED light for the desk.
I stole the idea from a guy on facebook - https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.965342993505018.1073741855.874417285930923&type=3
It's actually just a LED-Strip mounted to a piece of aluminium (my test version is rather flimsy plastic, but it works too).
I'm pretty pleased with the light it spends, so I will now build the final version, using a sturdier base, but probably plastic again - ot aluminium, if I find a good, long enough strip.
Cheers
Klaus

Well, despite a lot of work on the job I was able to continue with the "Raiders of the Lost Light".
Steady progress :)

First I finished up the guards, added some more details and weathering. And then they received several washes - a pure black wash, then a mix of glue and light grey, and finally a sepia wash for the gold sections.
But the main focus was to keep the coloring desaturated and rather cold/blue-ish.
770345_sm-.jpg

While the washes for the guards dried, I painted the base. Working on the banners consumed quite some time - but I think it was worth it.
Painting complete, but before the washes.
770346_sm-.jpg

And with the washes applied :)
770347_sm-.jpg

The throne section.
770348_sm-.jpg

With that part pretty much done, I started with Captain Senoj.
770349_sm-.jpg

Brother Lillianus got a two version paint-job. Not sure if it is really visible, but the area facing the muzzle flash is painted in standard "bright" colors, while the other areas are painted in the desaturated colors.
770350_sm-.jpg

Same for Brother Moffat - bright colors facing the muzzle flash, while the other areas are desaturated.
770351_sm-.jpg

That desaturated painting is actually relatively easy, but it is essential to have these colors in a wet-palette, as none of those colors come out of the bottle.
770352_sm-Desaturated%20wet%20palette.jpg

So this is where the scene is now.
770353_sm-.jpg

I hope I can really pull this off and get the light effects the way I want it - convincing :)
770354_sm-.jpg

So what do you think?
I look forward to your suggestions and feedback.
Cheers
Klaus

The color modulation is very interesting ,
What are you planning for lighting it ?

Plus , How did your desk light come out ?

I can see the reflection in the glass cases -- it looks double :eek: , but I assume that's just reflections ???

Uru

Latest posts

Back