Godzilla & Gundam! (complete)

HOME STRETCH!

Waiting on my water effects to dry, then a bit of highlighting on the surf, and gloss coat.
PXL_20220330_012721944.jpg
Smoke effects are done, just need to finish weathering the tank, mount Godzilla, and call it an accomplishment!
PXL_20220330_012829124.jpg

My water effects are taking forever to dry... I'm contemplating being impatient, since they are solid, just not translucent yet.

That's pretty great! Wow, so Polar Lights. I'm not a Godzilla fan so I don't pay much attention, but picking up any Hobby Japan magazine I often see new Godzilla kits made here in Japan. I think a lot of them are still sofubi, but it's either that or resin.

That's pretty great! Wow, so Polar Lights. I'm not a Godzilla fan so I don't pay much attention, but picking up any Hobby Japan magazine I often see new Godzilla kits made here in Japan. I think a lot of them are still sofubi, but it's either that or resin.
Thanks! I appreciate Godzilla... but I wouldn't say I'm a fan lol.
The biggest reason for buying this kit was seeing it at the LHS, getting this idea, seeing that it was 16 inches tall, googling Showa Godzilla's height, and quickly doing sloppy math to realize it was roughly N scale. AFTER building it I saw on the Polar Lights site that it is 1:144 just like the HG Ground Gundam. Gotta love it when things work out THAT perfectly.
I do love me some gashapon but I've never delved into sofubi.

All of this considered... I don't think I'll buy another Polar Lights kit unless it hits me too hard in the nostalgia.

Well, to be fair that is an older kit. I think their newer kits fit better. Which reminds me, I need to resume work on my Klingon K'Tinga kit.

Well, to be fair that is an older kit. I think their newer kits fit better. Which reminds me, I need to resume work on my Klingon K'Tinga kit.
Hey! I fibbed!, I may have interest in this one if I find it on a shelf, lol
1649337796729.png

Polar Lights is being produced by Round2 out of Indiana at this time, and I have been told by multiple people that Round2 is retooling old kits and making them better, so I was being critical.

However, I do not see any mention of retooling or improving on the Round2 site, so you raise a good point on the age of this kit.

You get more from your water by adding thin multiple layers,plus can adddetail in the layers, I have seen tin foil fish, greenery etc even items sticking out, but the overall effect works nicely

I would add a red tongue and pink inner mouth,and attempt to colour the coaches to something approaching a real one, improving the overall effect, I add a much bigger scale for reference, plus these are aged, but I think seeing your painting skills you could easily improve this aspect which is admittedly extremely minor.

Attachments

• 398A639B-E9D5-4735-B31B-C40A90AC145D.jpeg
    398A639B-E9D5-4735-B31B-C40A90AC145D.jpeg
    397.2 KB · Views: 3
  • A9C3B1A1-7E4A-43EA-B4A6-BAC3634BB255.jpeg
    A9C3B1A1-7E4A-43EA-B4A6-BAC3634BB255.jpeg
    303.3 KB · Views: 3
  • D191FD42-C0CE-4469-BB06-217BD1A213B6.jpeg
    D191FD42-C0CE-4469-BB06-217BD1A213B6.jpeg
    244.8 KB · Views: 3
I would add a red tongue and pink inner mouth,and attempt to colour the coaches to something approaching a real one, improving the overall effect, I add a much bigger scale for reference, plus these are aged, but I think seeing your painting skills you could easily improve this aspect which is admittedly extremely minor.
Thank you for the compliment and suggestion!
I wasn't looking for much in the way of water detail aside from motion in this one due to the scale being 1/144.
I'm also really happy with the king's mouth, I used a Komodo Dragon as the source material for the pink and blues.

1654694995855.png
I could definitely paint more detail on to the coaches, but their mold detail was extremely lacking, and I honestly just didn't feel like it :D
I think the level of detail across the whole thing matches pretty well as is, and definitely suferred from build fatigue towards the end of this.
I snap built and rigged the LEDs in the Gundam a good two years before I got around to starting Godzilla :|

Thank you for the compliment and suggestion!
I wasn't looking for much in the way of water detail aside from motion in this one due to the scale being 1/144.
I'm also really happy with the king's mouth, I used a Komodo Dragon as the source material for the pink and blues.

View attachment 91756
I could definitely paint more detail on to the coaches, but their mold detail was extremely lacking, and I honestly just didn't feel like it :D
I think the level of detail across the whole thing matches pretty well as is, and definitely suferred from build fatigue towards the end of this.
I snap built and rigged the LEDs in the Gundam a good two years before I got around to starting Godzilla :|
I have to say my opninion has just gone up 1:144 much smaller than I thought

plus suggestions are always that suggestions and not orders. :D

No worries.
I am also thoroughly enjoying working in the 1:24/1:25 and the 1:32/1:35 way more recently. Probably why I've been building fewer and fewer Gundams :p

Latest posts

Back