Gluing painted parts?

mmckeon

Hoping I can get some insight here. I've watched many build videos and have noticed many, if not all, seem to be gluing parts in right over painted parts. When I do this, it turns into a gooey mess. What am I missing? Grateful for any help.

Last edited:
Welcome Aboard !

Who is gluing painted parts ?
You can paint parts or assemblies prior to attaching them but you need to leave bare plastic where it will be solvent welded .
Always a risk of the solvent damaging the paint regardless .

That's solvent cement though .
Were these people gluing parts / assemblies onto other painted assemblies using CA ( super glue ) or a PVA ( white glue )

Hoping I can get some insight here. I've watched many build videos and have noticed many, if not all, seem to be gluing parts in right over painted parts. When I do this, it turns into a gooey mess. Weekday am I missing? Grateful for any help.
Hi and welcome to the forum. I always scape back the surfaces to be glued for a better bond. If you use too much cement then it tends to spread onto the painted areas and you will get a mess and have to touch in the area when dry. Pantherman

I've seen videos on you tube where it appears they are using revell model glue but just sticking things on painted parts without first scraping. Mind you, I always thought you had to scrape, but I was thinking maybe I missed some trick. And yes, some of them are probably using super glue. Thanks for you feedback.!

Painted parts to painted parts? Chrome parts to painted parts? Please elaborate.
I've seen videos on you tube where it appears they are using revell model glue but just sticking things on painted parts without first scraping. Mind you, I always thought you had to scrape, but I was thinking maybe I missed some trick. And yes, some of them are probably using super glue. Thanks for you feedback.! And to your question, both painted and chrome plated.

Hi and welcome to the forum. I always scape back the surfaces to be glued for a better bond. If you use too much cement then it tends to spread onto the painted areas and you will get a mess and have to touch in the area when dry. Pantherman
That's what I thought, thank you.

Painted parts to painted parts? Chrome parts to painted parts? Please elaborate.
I've seen videos on you tube where it appears they are using revell model glue but just sticking things on painted parts without first scraping. Mind you, I always thought you had to scrape, but I was thinking maybe I missed some trick. And yes, some of them are probably using super glue. Thanks for you feedback.!

Masking is easier .
use tape or liquid mask ( latex ) to protect the surfaces to be solvent welded while painting .
Then just peel off the masking prior to assembly .
Thanks, I'm just getting back into it. Have seen, but never used the making liquids, any brand better than the others?

All the liquid mask I have used has been about the same .
I'm currently using Abteilung 502 LIQUID MASK - a bottle will last you forever in the scale model world .

Pack the brush with Vaseline after use and it will break down the latex and it will easily pull out of the bristles .
Mineral oil works also but Vaseline is far easier to use .

I've taken to doing what urumomo suggested with the liquid mask. It works great on the small areas of landing gear that will be attached to the wheel well covers and I also put it on the spots of the wheel well covers that the gear will attach too. Before I started doing that I scraped those spots after painting. I get much better results using the liquid mask. I use micro mask.

Thanks, I'm just getting back into it. Have seen, but never used the making liquids, any brand better than the others?

I've taken to doing what urumomo suggested with the liquid mask. It works great on the small areas of landing gear that will be attached to the wheel well covers and I also put it on the spots of the wheel well covers that the gear will attach too. Before I started doing that I scraped those spots after painting. I get much better results using the liquid mask. I use micro mask.
Thanks for the feedback!

I quit revell glue when it screwed my models many times, it's not reliable in my opinion. By the way i use gel type CA for painted parts mostly

I glue painted parts together all the time.

If a part has paint on it where you need to apply glue, all you need to do is use one of the old school glues like the Testors glue in the orange tube, or the new Revell Contacta Professional. They eat the paint and glue the parts together all in one shot.

Now if you use Tamiya or Mr Hobby adhesives in the bottles with a brush in the cap, those don't work on painted parts. You need to remove the paint first.

Same with CA. You can use CA on painted parts, but it glues to the paint only and can pull the paint right off.

Latest posts

Back