Getting back into modeling.

SG103

I was an avid model builder when I was 12. Now at 70 I bought a model (67 Shelby) for my grandson who is only 6. He had no interest in building it so I built it and loved doing it. Now got a few more models and will get into it again. I purchased an airgun, am interested in doing good paint jobs. Checked a few videos on Youtube and noticed some using food warmers to bake paint. My question is does it make a difference in the final finish of the paint?

Welcome Aboard !

You mean food dehydrators ?
It speeds the cure of both acrylic crosslinking and alkyd oxidation ( cure ) , but it doesn't alter the end properties .
Heat speeds everything up .
Not necessary if you have time to wait between coats or any sanding / polishing to be done .

I put all my models in a dehydrator after painting. I just use a small one I had for making deer jerky. Not very expensive but will not accommodate larger 1/48th scale planes so those get to sit and cure naturally.

Heh, Dehydrators… personally, they’re a waste of money especially if you’re using acrylics. Enamels can dry fairly easy if not applied thick. I don’t see a need for one. This is suppose to be a relaxing hobby, not one to rush to get the paint dry so you can move on to the next step.

Yes I did mean dehydrator. Thank you all for the prompt replies. I realize I have a lot to learn.

Latest posts

Back