Fully Lit 1:350 NX-01 Enterprise form Polar Lights

kponeprime

Sci-Fi Geek
Updated pics with finished lights and details using Acreation Models decals

[attachment deleted by admin]

That looks like some cool lighting, especially for your first attempt. I will certainly be giving this lighting thing a go in the future. Thanks for sharing your progress.

what colors are you using for the nx-01. i get conflicting colors all over the place.

I used Alclad II Magnesium #ALC111 as the first (darker) colour and Alminume #218 Mr Metal Color range from Mr Hobby (could be Gunze where you are not sure if the name changed everywhere??). I didn't buff the magnesium though. I'll update with more photos but the "gold" details like the bridge dome, I've found that the Mr Metal Color Brass looked closer to the actual colour on the CG model. Hope this helps!

Been working a bit more on her, here some updates. I'm using the Acreation Models decal set for the extra detail. Never done decals on this scale before.....ever!

Here's some updated lighting, i haven't permanently attached the warp nacelles yet, it will be the very last thing!

Thanks guys! I thought it would be easier using decals this time around for the aztec patterns but i underestimated how many decals there are!!! My 1:350 Enterprise 1701A was totally painted...

Thanks for the comments! I'll post updates as they get done.

???

I don't quite understand what I see! It looked like you were using Aztec Vinyl Masks.... On you first pictures... Then you talk about some Decals??? But your work looks like paint?

As was about to ask you if you found the use of those masks... Hard or easy?

Before I do that....! Can you explain the paint process? Cuz it looks great! The lighting as well BTW!

Norm.

Hey Norm, i started with vinyl masks from aztec dummy, which gives you 2 colours, then after you've done that, you would normally continue with multiple layers of masking and new colours which is what i did with the 1701-A (3 layers, 4 colours). I decided this time to mask the primary colour and use the detailed decals as well to give more definition and surface variation. I'm pretty happy with the result so far the only drawback with the decals is that i can't vary the surfaces between matt, gloss and saturn finishes which star trek ships do so well on screen.

so you did use the Mask... Humm ! that gave you, 2 colour variations... Got that.... then you've added an Extra set of Decals on top of that...? that's a lot of work... for sure... but like you've said ... it did add an extra layer ... into the mix... looks great !

Are the decals... something you did print on a Laser printer or did you buy them?

I don't do Bubble-jet or ink-jet decals anymore cuz they tend to BLEED !!!

I rather use Laser Decal paper and Colour Laser prints... they are a lot more resilient to Hot Water and Decal solutions....

I have the REFIT in my Collection and Was dreading using the MASK... which I have... so expensive...

My question about them... is ! Do they stick on pretty good cuz applying them ... seem to be quite the chore !!! and manipulating the saucer section and Hull in all direction during installation makes me wonder if all that handling could cause them to move..??? and do they LEAVE a residue ???

sorry for all the questions... But I might go with a Treck model... soon and was wondering about all the new.... paint options... and decals of course... if that will ease my workload ??

Later ! and Nice model... keep up the good work !

Norm.

Latest posts

Back