Forum HTML problem?

LrdSatyr8

I don't want to cause any problems or make anyone think bad of this site... I love this site... But something I noticed just the other day is that if I leave this site open on my desktop it will eventually slow down and cause my browser to lock up. May take a couple of days, but it does. It only happens with this site thou and I don't know what's causing it. Don't believe me... try this... close everything on your desktop, (that includes any memory resident tools, programs etc). and then open up the Windows Task Manager (Ctrl-Atl-Del)... then open a single browser window and go to this site, then go to the main forum list or any forum message thread... then sit back and watch the "Mem Usage" on the "iexplore.exe" in the Task Manager. It will begin to go up by a couple of bytes every few seconds, and doesn't stop. Close the browser or goto another site, like www.google.com and it stops. Is there something that is going on in the HTML of this forum that is causing this? Perhaps an advert code somewhere that might be constantly updating in the background? I am constantly checking my inbox here and leave this site open on my desktop. But when my entire system hangs because this site just keeps taking up more and more of my usable memory, I don't know what to do. I've checked my entire system for virus', backdoors, errent browser tools, etc with no results (using several different scanners like MBAM, Housecall, etc). I'm not sure if its just me or if this is happening to everyone. Perhaps I've got a browser setting checked off wrong somewhere, but please... I hope someone can check this out. I would hate to think that a stray piece of code is causing this to happen. Thank you.

That could be related to the issue I saw, in which when I reply to a thread, the page sometimes hangs. It's not consistent, but I haven't had that problem occur on other pages.

I do have to ask, though--do you really open a browser and navigate to a website, then leave your session open for days?

the Baron said:
That could be related to the issue I saw, in which when I reply to a thread, the page sometimes hangs. It's not consistent, but I haven't had that problem occur on other pages.

I do have to ask, though--do you really open a browser and navigate to a website, then leave your session open for days?

Of course I do... doesn't everyone? I'm he only one that uses this computer and I hate having to open/close a browser everytime, so I just leave it open and refresh the page... makes it so much easier.

Aren't you worried about taking a surge on your power connection, when you've left your computer on? Not necessarily during the obvious danger period, during a thunderstorm. But at any time, you never know what could happen.

LrdSatyr8, leaving the browser open may actually be part of the problem.
I do the same with with a couple of sites on my work computer that I use all the time, and the browser window will slow down drastically or even hang.
However, if I open up a new window, it seems to work just fine. And that's with IE8

Clearing the browser cache occasionally is a good idea, too.

--nods to the Baron's advice--
At work I usually do that twice a day, mostly because the site I spend the most time on generates a lot of pdf files for printing shipping info.

LordSatyr8,
another thing that may be causing what you're seeing is the way the front page of this site is always shifting at least part of the info.
That may be effecting both browser cache and cpu usage

Latest posts

Back