First Model - Mk. A Whippet - Suggestions Appreciated

Thanks! I’m loving the whole process. This hobby has its claws in me.
I get that, this hobby got started with an Mighty Eighth Air Force poster in 2019. I was a kid the last time I built.

Attachments

• img_2021_03_01_01_18_52.jpg
    img_2021_03_01_01_18_52.jpg
    291.9 KB · Views: 8
I get that, this hobby got started with a Mighty Eighth Air Force poster in 2019. I was a kid the last time I built.
You made that poster, or the poster inspired you to start building? Either way, it is a great poster. I love the vintage material the armed forces used to put out.

You made that poster, or the poster inspired you to start building? Either way, it is a great poster. I love the vintage material the armed forces used to put out.
Bought the poster, was looking at it one day, said to myself, I'm going to build that.

Attachments

• IMG_20220424_161845-1.jpg
    IMG_20220424_161845-1.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20220424_161926-2.jpg
    IMG_20220424_161926-2.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 16
Congrats man, looks brilliant, great details, but i'd be added more streaking effects if i were you. Did you use oil Keep going

Progress update #4:

Whew. Long break from the bench (work + finishing education stuffs), but I'm back to work. Added the base color for the kit details. This is my first time hand-brushing anything like this, but I'm pretty pleased with the results. I used Vallejo Model Color acrylics and while I need to invest in a wet palette, I was really thrilled with their quality and ease of use.

My next step is weathering, and I'm so excited for this. Can't wait to catch up on all your builds too.

Cheers.

Edit: Changed pics to thumbnails.

detail.jpgfrontleft.jpgfrontright.jpgrearleft.jpgrearright.jpgtop.jpg

Very nice! I use Vallejo Model and Model Air paints and absolutely love them. The Model Air line is supposed to be airbrush ready but I find they hand brush just fine.
I agree - thought they painted very well. No brushmarks; paint leveled nicely. Acrylics too, so easy to blend and glaze colors.

They seem awfully thick for “airbrush ready.” I know they’re supposed to be. I haven’t tried them through the airbrush though. Maybe they’re great for that too.

Very nice! I use Vallejo Model and Model Air paints and absolutely love them. The Model Air line is supposed to be airbrush ready but I find they hand brush just fine.
I agree. 97% of my paints are Vallejo Model and Model Air.
I tried a wet pallet, it did not work for me.
I simply use a drop of paint on the bottom of a dosing cup when I hand paint (really they were used for Jello shots lol).

Your build is very phenomenal! Love the detail!
I think I would like to try my hand at a tank like this.

I agree. 97% of my paints are Vallejo Model and Model Air.
I tried a wet pallet, it did not work for me.
I simply use a drop of paint on the bottom of a dosing cup when I hand paint (really they were used for Jello shots lol).

Your build is very phenomenal! Love the detail!
I think I would like to try my hand at a tank like this.
Thanks! You should. It’s the Meng kit and I’d recommend it to anyone. My first armor build so, grains of salt and all, but quality seems high. It’s been a pleasure.

Your build looks fantastic to this beginner.

Did you brush paint the stowage items, bags, cans etc, when attached to the vehicle or separately?
Thanks.

Great work! Very nice.
Maybe a bit of rust on the exhausts (plenty products available), and what about the tracks?
I agree. Show some heat and rust on the exhaust. I think it's a phenomenal build!
Where did you get this kit?

Nice work on the weathering. One question, I’m not a tank modeller, but it appears you have the treads running down the center of the tank. Shoudn’t the treads be on the wheels and sprockets like other tank builds I’ve seen? If I’m wrong about this I’ll just shut up and go back to my sci-fi models.

Nice work on the weathering. One question, I’m not a tank modeller, but it appears you have the treads running down the center of the tank. Shoudn’t the treads be on the wheels and sprockets like other tank builds I’ve seen? If I’m wrong about this I’ll just shut up and go back to my sci-fi models.
It looks like there is a tread, maybe the thin band in the middle of the drive wheels?
But I could be wrong.

I received my Takom Whippet yesterday. Hoping to get it started sooner than later but I'm simultaneously working on a 1/72 DAK Diorama and a Kate torpedo bomber diorama.

Latest posts

Back