Finishing help

eightfooticeman

Hello, here is my plan. On my F/18 I was going to spray a coat of future, then apply decals, then spray another coat of future, then a flat clear coat. I was planning on using a pastel wash, can I spray a clear coat over the pastel was to seal in the effect? Or should I just spray a flat clear coat then apply decals and then another flat coat, then do a pastel wash. I seem to remember reading that you should not spray a clear coat over pastel washes but can't remember. What would you do?

I always put decals over a glossy surface as well....while some subscribe to the notion of then putting another gloss coat over the decals, I only do that if I plan on doing a wash on the item so the darkened lines show up over the decals, otherwise I skip the 2nd gloss coat and move straight to a flat coat.

You sort of need the 2nd gloss coat to do a wash, as the gloss coat lets the wash flow into the recesses, a flat coat will disperse the wash all over.

If you are doing dry pigments/pastels, you really need a flat coat so the pigments/pastels have something to bite into and stick. Common sense says that you should then put a clear coat over the pigments, but that can have an effect on the pigments that may cause them to disappear once the clear coat is on. You can always over do the pigment layer, with the hopes that putting on the final flat coat will dull the pigments back to what you really want, but it is a delicate balancing act.

For me...usually the pigments are the last thing to go on, and normally after that I don't do anything as generally the kit isn't going to be touched or moved that much, lessening the pigments rubbing off.

Of course using a Pigment fixer over your pigments will pretty much "lock" them in and keep them from being rubbed off as well.

I usually gloss B4 decals as well, and then a thin gloss over, then a thin satin. Satin will allow the wash to flow and also give you some tooth for other effects.

I would suggest that you experiment on a toss-away kit or a piece of plastic sheet. Just try the process on that first before a 'good' kit. You'll learn a ton and if it all goes wrong, no big deal. Keep trying on junk plastic until you get it the way you want.

Thanks, gloss coat it is. This is my second model back from a rather long break, it is what I would call my junk model for right now but learning a lot. Thanks guys, I wish this forum was around when I started years ago!

Latest posts

Back